Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT: YVR to YHZ via DFW & JFK (all on AA) allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Best posted here I think, as few Canadians are on AA forum:
My buddy found a deal from where he can get from YVR to YHZ via DFW & JFK on American. He can get a YVR-DFW-JFK flight for super cheap, [something like $300] and then he found a 15K AAdvantage reward for JFK-YHZ for the sames days in Oct. As they are two separate tickets, this is allowed right? I suppose INS might hassle him a bit, but it ain't against the 'rules' though, yes?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Wardair A310
Best posted here I think, as few Canadians are on AA forum:
My buddy found a deal from where he can get from YVR to YHZ via DFW & JFK on American. He can get a YVR-DFW-JFK flight for super cheap, [something like $300] and then he found a 15K AAdvantage reward for JFK-YHZ for the sames days in Oct. As they are two separate tickets, this is allowed right? I suppose INS might hassle him a bit, but it ain't against the 'rules' though, yes?
Yes, it should be allowed. Your friend's more liekly to get hassled by Canadian customs at YVR than by U.S. immigration though.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There is nothing to stop your friend from booking it this way and I'd expect only a minor hassle if any by any immigration officials of either country. As long as he has his two e-tickets to show return required by Americans. I would advise leaving plenty of time for connections though, since traveling on two tickets will not permit the normal protection airlines give on missed connections due to weather or tech problems. (And make sure both sets of flights operate to/from JFK and not one into/from LGA and the other from/into JFK.) Fortunately, too, AA award tickets don't get hit with all those fees that AE ones do. It should only cost about $30 total in extras on the award ticket.

I'd also suggest he consider buying a one day AAdmiral Club pass for U$50 if he has a long connection at JFK or DFW given my caution about tight connections. It can be used at multiple ACs on the day of travel. These can now be purchased at AA ticketing/check-in kiosks on the day of flight, or in advance online.

I've done this type of flight on occasion when CP used to have its weekend sell-off fares. It was often cheaper to fly YEG-YYC-DFW then DFW-YYZ and return on separate res/tickets than on a single YEG-YYZ ticket. I had no hassles with border officials, but that was before 9.11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.