Wiki Posts
Search

2 Trips or 1 RTW?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG Platinum
2 Trips or 1 RTW?

So I have a couple of meetings taking place in October in both Australia/New Zealand and then in Norway so I’ve been thinking about the best way of doing this from an economic standpoint and trying to minimize jet-lag.

The simple approach is to treat them as two separate trips i.e. do Canada – Australia/New Zealand – Canada and then do Canada – Norway – Canada. However, the time between arriving back from being down under and then leaving to go to Norway is about three days. Having done YYZ-SYD in March I was pretty jet lagged for a week or so when I came back and really don’t fancy coming home, only to unpack, do laundry and head back out the door, three days later to yet another time zone.

So then the next obvious choice would be a *A RTW ticket. It’s about $1,500 CAD more expensive for Mrs. macFlyer and I than the approach above but I figure if we keep going around the world we should be less jet lagged (plus as all AC legs are in H class I could actually do something with all the SWU’s I’ve accumulated this year…) My thinking is do something like SYD-SIN-FRA-OSL-FRA-YYZ on the return leg. I’m thinking that a few days in Singapore before heading to Oslo should be a little gentler on the mind/body than the cold shock of flying back to Toronto and then leaving for Oslo.

So is there wisdom in my thinking. Anyone had to do something ugly like this? If so what’s your advice? Or is there another option I may have overlooked?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC - SE 1MM; *wood - P
RTW all the way

I just returned from similar excursion (in my case YYZ-HKG-SIN-VIE-VAR-VIE-YYZ). It's a lot easier travelling west especially if you get a good sleep on the Asia to Euro leg. You might want to spend the time between business stops in Europe rather than Asia to adjust, but in any case I'd recommend the RTW.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:40 pm

macflyer--here is a really way out suggestion:
I checked an intersting possibility--that is if you have the points:
1. YYZ-BKK-YYZ on Aeroplan D class ( Business) 2 x 100,000= 200,000 AP
2. BKK-SIN-SYD-SIN-FRA-OSL-CPH-LHR-YYZ-YVR-BKK just under 29,000 miles--so J class is 5700 dollars if booked by AC out of BKK.
The RTW out of canada in Y is about $4599.00 +taxes. So for the extra dollars and miles ( you get back quite a few) you get to travel in style and as long as you do one Transpacific or Transatlantic on AC they will issue the ticket ex BKK. It's a lot of travel--but hey--it's frequent flying eh?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Creative Thinking

Originally Posted by ac777
macflyer--here is a really way out suggestion:
Alright! I love the creative thinking, but the small issuse of 200,000 miles and the extra $2k+ (not to mention persuading Mrs. macFlyer to do this) makes it seem an unlikely goal!

I'm working out that if I go for the RTW ticket, not only are the AC legs in H for the upgrade lottery, but I can also pay a $300 USD to be in Premium Economy for LAX-AKL which should make that leg a little nicer. Now if only Thai or SQ had Premium Economy cabins from SYD-SIN...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
If you have suffered AC Y class.... Thai or SQ is wonderful.... dont worry...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by why fly
If you have suffered AC Y class.... Thai or SQ is wonderful.... dont worry...
So as I get to choose - what's the general consensus on who's better for Y - Thai or SQ? I have two long segments to get through (MEL-SIN and SIN-FRA) so I guess I could choose both and decide later!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by macFlyer
So I have a couple of meetings taking place in October in both Australia/New Zealand and then in Norway so I’ve been thinking about the best way of doing this from an economic standpoint and trying to minimize jet-lag.

The simple approach is to treat them as two separate trips i.e. do Canada – Australia/New Zealand – Canada and then do Canada – Norway – Canada. However, the time between arriving back from being down under and then leaving to go to Norway is about three days. Having done YYZ-SYD in March I was pretty jet lagged for a week or so when I came back and really don’t fancy coming home, only to unpack, do laundry and head back out the door, three days later to yet another time zone.

So then the next obvious choice would be a *A RTW ticket. It’s about $1,500 CAD more expensive for Mrs. macFlyer and I than the approach above but I figure if we keep going around the world we should be less jet lagged (plus as all AC legs are in H class I could actually do something with all the SWU’s I’ve accumulated this year…) My thinking is do something like SYD-SIN-FRA-OSL-FRA-YYZ on the return leg. I’m thinking that a few days in Singapore before heading to Oslo should be a little gentler on the mind/body than the cold shock of flying back to Toronto and then leaving for Oslo.

So is there wisdom in my thinking. Anyone had to do something ugly like this? If so what’s your advice? Or is there another option I may have overlooked?
Personally if I had three days between trips I come home first, but that's just me. The real question on jet lag is how long you're going to be down under. If it is less than a week, I'd say the jet lag factor is just about a wash. If you stay longer than a week, then the RTW route is likely easier on the body.

I've done similar itineraries both ways and at the end of the day you are tired no matter what! BTW if you do the RTW, also consider OS via VIE. There are often more seats on this route than SQ or TG which tend to fill first. Can't speak for coach, but the front is perfectly acceptable in a relatively new 777

DF
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:25 pm

Haven't been in Y on TG or SQ but SQ's inflight entertainment is awesome. Check out the SQ & TG websites and boards to see more info on the route in question.

If I didn't have upgrades to use I wouldn't hesitate to fly SQ again just for the IFE alone
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
What about purchasing three separate tickets?

You could do YYZ-HKG on AC for about $1500, then HKG-AKL-SYD-AKL-HKG on NZ for about $800, and then HKG-OSL-HKG for about $1000 and then back on HKG-YYZ. Or maybe a similar routing through NRT.

This way, you're flying in a similar way to a RTW for the important stuff (e.g. your meetings), and backtrack for more miles after the meetings.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you are likely to have another trip to the south pacific region within a year, and can find a reasonable fare to NZ (or Tonga would be even better), then do YYZ-AKL/TBU and pick up a RTW from there (much more cheaply than a RTW starting in Canada), continue on to Norway and back home. Then up to a year later finish the RTW off by returning to NZ (or Tonga), and return to YYZ on the second half of your first ticket.

That way you get 2 trips to south pacific, plus a trip around the world (main purpose for Norway but you could add in a lot more flights, eg within North America), for not too much more than the cost of 1 round trip YYZ to australia + 1 round trip YYZ to Norway.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macFlyer
Just realised I never posted what I ended up doing. I eventually plonked for the RTW. It did cost a bit more (like $1200+ per ticket) but in the end we got a route that works for us:

YYZ-LAX-AKL-SYD-MEL-SIN-FRA-OSL-YYC-YYZ

I've got three AC legs in there that are all booked in H so I should (hopefully) be able to burn through some SWUs and the LAX-AKL leg is NZ premium economy (is it wrong to be excited about flying upstairs?? I feel like a little kid as I am looking forward to that part!)

I tacked on the return to Calgary and then to Toronto the following day to make sure I milked the 29,000 limit as much as I could, plus it just pushes me over 100k for SE and the extra nights stay gets me SPG Platinum - oh the things you learn on FT.

I ended up going for SQ too.

As for the jet lag effects of going all the way around instead of back to YYZ - well, I'll let you know in about 6 weeks time
Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:53 pm

macFlyer-- great plan and the upper status to boot!! As *G you can use all the lounges( SIN is the *G lounge not the KF). The SYD NZ lounge is very comfortable. Maybe you'll do a lounge review eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.