Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ddaley
Just checked again and no update on my account. I suspect that given I had flights booked they are waiting to see if I will qualify for SE and will wait until after the end of the year to update my status.
You give AC IT too much credit if you think they look at upcoming flights. More likely you just haven’t got the hidden bug that is providing these early updates

They gave me P25 status a week after I passed E35 in the past. IIRC it took another few weeks to notice I hit E35 before end of year.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ddaley
I have been SE for many years but dropped to 50K last year due to reduced travel due to personal reasons. I ended 2017 at 74K and 15,447 in spend but I was not gifted E75K nor offered a buy-up. I have no doubt that if I want the SE status of the year I will have to do a MR.
I want to copy this post and keep it for all the people who keep asking will I get XXX or a buy up offer when I’m Y miles off.

Data point - my friend with similar (slightly lower) AQM DID get a buy up offer... with SE AQD. But there definitely seems to be a random element to ACs offers. Possibly intentionally.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
I'm reaching my 25th flight this weekend for the year 2018. When will I obtain prestige 25k status? March next year or in the next weeks? I'm confused
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by royal757
I'm reaching my 25th flight this weekend for the year 2018. When will I obtain prestige 25k status? March next year or in the next weeks? I'm confused
Officially you qualify March 1st - through Feb 28th 2019.

In reality, you will get an option to pick your benefits at some point. Between now and Feb 28 2018. Probably January. So you normally get just over 12 months.

Some benefits (like extra miles) run Jan-Dec and these are awards retro to when you pick benefits.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
I currently have no status. My known planned bookings for 2019 include 5000 status miles so far, a 6 month unlimited flight pass in Flex about to be purchased, and a few flights later in the year.

I will pass through P25 (after the second month of the pass), E35 (after the third month of the pass), and E50 (after the 5th month of the pass) with what I have planned and booked right now.

Now, if I were E50 already right now (which I am not - I have no status) I would have choosen the 1250 bonus status miles per month for the flight pass, and that would get me to E75. Then I could gift E35 to The Lovely Mrs. Zorn and I would take my place in the pantheon of great heroes.

Here's the question. To what extent are "bonus status miles for flight pass activities" retroactively applied?

In particular, as I pass through the ranks and choose status miles as I become P25, E35, and E50:
  • Do I get anything for the first two months?
  • Once I hit E50 do my 750 and 1000 per month status miles bonuses get retroactively increased to 1250?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I highly doubt they'd be retroactively increased, and I highly doubt you'd get anything for the first two months.

But maybe someone who's gone through this can shed some light.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AC Elite 75k
Early Recognition Selection

Sorry if this question has been asked before...I just got 25k and it's prompting me to select privileges...but I should be getting 35k soon and then 50k before the end of the year. It says once I select my privileges, I won't be able to change them. So should I wait until I hit at least 35k before I select...or will I have another chance when I hit 35k? The privileges for the higher statuses are better obviously than 25k. For example, select privileges for 25k don't include eups, but they are included at 35k.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 13, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by zorn
I currently have no status. My known planned bookings for 2019 include 5000 status miles so far, a 6 month unlimited flight pass in Flex about to be purchased, and a few flights later in the year.

I will pass through P25 (after the second month of the pass), E35 (after the third month of the pass), and E50 (after the 5th month of the pass) with what I have planned and booked right now.

Now, if I were E50 already right now (which I am not - I have no status) I would have choosen the 1250 bonus status miles per month for the flight pass, and that would get me to E75. Then I could gift E35 to The Lovely Mrs. Zorn and I would take my place in the pantheon of great heroes.

Here's the question. To what extent are "bonus status miles for flight pass activities" retroactively applied?

In particular, as I pass through the ranks and choose status miles as I become P25, E35, and E50:
  • Do I get anything for the first two months?
  • Once I hit E50 do my 750 and 1000 per month status miles bonuses get retroactively increased to 1250?
Has enough time passed for you to answer your own question?
--
13F
Old May 13, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getoutside
Sorry if this question has been asked before...I just got 25k and it's prompting me to select privileges...but I should be getting 35k soon and then 50k before the end of the year. It says once I select my privileges, I won't be able to change them. So should I wait until I hit at least 35k before I select...or will I have another chance when I hit 35k? The privileges for the higher statuses are better obviously than 25k. For example, select privileges for 25k don't include eups, but they are included at 35k.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely choose benefits for every level you cross. Things like lounge passes and eUpgrade credits are not taken away when you cross the next threshold. You can accumulate a nice kitty on the way up from no status.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Has enough time passed for you to answer your own question?
--
13F
Yes.

I can confirm that flight pass bonuses are given according to one's current status when the pass is purchased, or when the monthly anniversary occurs with an unlimited pass. There is nothing retroactive.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by getoutside

Thanks in advance!
As mentionned several times in this thread (and others), yes you will be prompted to select privileges again when you hit 35k and again when you hit 50k and so on.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
I don't believe this one has been asked before:

I'm currently 50K and selected "Lower requalification level" as one of my privileges for this year. I'm going to cross 70K AQM in the next couple few weeks (already way over the AQD requirement), does anyone know if the changes to the "lower requalification level" of being able to get 75K at 70K AQM applies to early recognition or do I need to cross the 75K threshold?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
I don't believe this one has been asked before:

I'm currently 50K and selected "Lower requalification level" as one of my privileges for this year. I'm going to cross 70K AQM in the next couple few weeks (already way over the AQD requirement), does anyone know if the changes to the "lower requalification level" of being able to get 75K at 70K AQM applies to early recognition or do I need to cross the 75K threshold?
Sadly not - it only applies to the level you achieved last year. So in your example if you reached 45,000 miles (and achieved AQD requirement) you would get E50K but you have to get to 75,000 AQM to be given E75K. One of the reasons why this choice generally sucks IMHO.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Sadly not - it only applies to the level you achieved last year. So in your example if you reached 45,000 miles (and achieved AQD requirement) you would get E50K but you have to get to 75,000 AQM to be given E75K. One of the reasons why this choice generally sucks IMHO.
This is incorrect. Air Canada changed that this year, it now applies to all levels.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
This is incorrect. Air Canada changed that this year, it now applies to all levels.
Yes but does that change apply to early recognition? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.