Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are the 762's Really That Bad to Fly In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Hi All

Long time lurker, first time poster, so please be gentle with me!

Am travelling to the UK in June/July to visit the family and got a great deal YXE-MAN ($838!!!) on an A fare, so 100% miles, status miles etc. Was very pleased with the fare but realise that the aircraft is the dreaded 762.

Just how bad is it sitting in Y transatlantic on the 762's? In a former life I flew countless of the CP 763's to Aus and NZ (or at least as far as HNL from YYZ & YVR) for about 10yrs in both J & Y and found the Y seating v comfortable and roomy.

Am I in for 6.5 hrs of hell from YYZ-MAN in Y in one of the AC 762's? They get an enormous amount of stick here, so much so that you'd think you were going to be strapped to a rack and tortured as you cross the pond. Is that in fact the case? Basically, what should I prepare myself for? Any insights/info /anecdotes greatfully accepted. I've also never used MAN before so any advice/info on that part of my trip would also be most welcome.

Even it is likely to be torture, I'd endure almost anything to avoid LHR in the summertime (!!!) but forewarned is forearmed or something like that.

Love the forum and find it a great resource, even though I fly so little these days that my chances of sitting in J are pretty much 0. Look forward to your replies (if any!!).

Cheers

YXEG
Old May 19, 2006, 12:31 am

Programs: None. I'm cured.
The 762s in Y are fine. A bit worn perhaps but more room than BA Third World Traveller. Obviously no AVOD or bells and whistles but nothing you were expecting anyway.

Most of the noise you see here about these birds is about the front cabin. Not great if you are expecting the full International J product.

As you said, the best thing about this flight is that it gets you to MAN without the hassle or waste of time connecting at LHR. That's got to be worth something.

MCM.
Old May 19, 2006, 5:40 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
There's really very little difference between the 76Xs in the economy cabin. The complaints here are all about the domestic J cabin, which is not comparable to the Int'l Exec First, as MCM points out.

Say hello to Sunderland for me when you're there
Old May 19, 2006, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YXEGeordie: Welcome to the forum.

Have a good flight.
Old May 19, 2006, 6:04 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
... on an A fare, so 100% miles, status miles etc ...
You have been lurking for a while!

Welcome to FT.
Old May 19, 2006, 6:07 am

Programs: DL NW
I'm not familiar with AC's 762s, but I can tell you that US's transatlantic are fairly unpleasant.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:36 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I just don't like the huge projector for entertainment. What a ridiculous idea that was from boeing.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
If you're not in J and don't have a lot of carry-on, this is actually my favourite bird for transatlantic travel. It is no different from a 763 in Y other than the cabin length is shorter. I find the front cabin in Y to be quite intimate and I like the 2-3-2 configuration of all versions of the 767. Seat pitch is better than BA.

The only downsides are:
- No AVOD and you can be seated far from the screen
- Cabin may be slightly worn (but not horribly)
- less overhead stowage space than on A330/340
Old May 19, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: several
Originally Posted by cur
I just don't like the huge projector for entertainment. What a ridiculous idea that was from boeing.
well when the 767 was designed, in 1979-80, do you think they had quality projection video available to them?

It used to be that a on long flight on an AC L1011 or 747 you had to listen to the clickety-click of a projector during the whole movie, until 1982.
Old May 19, 2006, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
If you're not in J and don't have a lot of carry-on, this is actually my favourite bird for transatlantic travel.
Agree. Have spent many hours on 67's and other than the movie sometimes being hard to see depending on where your seat is, I like the economy layout.

Welcome to FT.
Old May 19, 2006, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
Hi All

Long time lurker, first time poster, so please be gentle with me!

Am I in for 6.5 hrs of hell from YYZ-MAN in Y in one of the AC 762's?

Welcome t0 FT and please define "hell"

As for the 762, the airplane is fine so long as you are not expecting lie flat beds up front or seat back VOD in the back. Avoid the bulkhead rows in the back if you are tall.

Given the choice between an AC 762 and a high density 757 on a charter, I'd say there is no contest, in favour of AC

DF
Old May 19, 2006, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 2-3-2 Y configuration in the 767 is very comfortable from a passenger perspective.Never any bad flights in Y.As others have noted J is where all the noise is.
Old May 19, 2006, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by acysb87
The 2-3-2 Y configuration in the 767 is very comfortable from a passenger perspective.Never any bad flights in Y.As others have noted J is where all the noise is.
We agree on that......... Y is good J sucks! on the 767
Old May 20, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
It is an excellent piece of equipment for meeting noted FT celebrity Ken HAAmer.

Simon
Old May 20, 2006, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simon
It is an excellent piece of equipment for meeting noted FT celebrity Ken HAAmer.

Simon
You do mean the 767-200 series,correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.