Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC sends smaller plane for YYZ - YOW on May 14th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

A/C reminded me of US AIrways on Sunday night.

They sent a smaller plane than expected for flight 464 at 7:10pm (YYZ-YOW). The smaller plane had 28 less seats. Almost 27 people were denied boarding. The next two flights 466, 468 were near capacity so I was denied boarding until the 10:30 flight (#470). A/C offered me a voucher for a flight credit and expected me to wait almost 4 hrs for my next flight stranding me at T1. I could have driven to YOW in that time.

When I got bored of roaming T1 I asked the gate agent who I had been dealing with for lounge access due to the inconvenience. She refused and said A/C had no reason or obligation since I was scheduled on another flight. (4 hrs later). I am only 2 segments away from elite!

Overall this is unacceptable, many ppl were frustrated by this and booked immediately on West Jet....probably a better choice!

Does anyone have any tips to handle this better next time?
Old May 18, 2006, 2:45 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

There were not 27 denied boardings on that flight... and secondly, there were no aircraft change for 464 on Sun, it was scheduled to be operated with A319 and flight was operated with A319.
Old May 18, 2006, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
There were not 27 denied boardings on that flight... and secondly, there were no aircraft change for 464 on Sun, it was scheduled to be operated with A319 and flight was operated with A319.
Thanks for the Clarifications!! Were you there to experience the frustrations of all the travellers denied boarding? At anyrate they oversold! I had to wait for 3 planes in order to get on them! Bottomline is that's bad service. Lounge access would have been beneficial in this situation, along with the voucher!

Please attempt to answer my question from the initial post, rather than worry about the exact facts. They oversold bottom line!
Old May 18, 2006, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by JoshKleiman
I could have driven to YOW in that time.
No way! With Toronto traffic you'd have been lucky to make it to Oshawa
Old May 18, 2006, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Please attempt to answer my question from the initial post, rather than worry about the exact facts.
Post of the year so far!!!

Why bother with facts when we can have rumour, I love it!!

You got an exact, factual and correct answer to your ill informed rant.
Old May 18, 2006, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the Clarifications!! Were you there to experience the frustrations of all the travellers denied boarding? At anyrate they oversold! I had to wait for 3 planes in order to get on them! Bottomline is that's bad service. Lounge access would have been beneficial in this situation, along with the voucher!

Please attempt to answer my question from the initial post, rather than worry about the exact facts. They oversold bottom line!
Overselling does occur, just as no shows occur. However, you were booked on a later flight, and it is possible a number of others who you count as being among the oversold were also hoping to get on an earlier flight. Do you know how many had bookings on that flight, and do you know if they were able to get on the subsequent flights, and do you know if they were given compensation if they weren't?
Old May 18, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
You were denied boarding, and you received poor services. Yes, AC could have done something better. Fair enough.

HOWEVER, stating something that's just simply not true, or half the truth, won't cut it. I'd say if you're looking for help or advice, you better present the truth and not just make something up to make you look good.

BTW, if EXACT FACT doesn't matter, what matters?
Old May 18, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, *A Gold, SPG Gold
When I was almost VDB'ed from a recent YUL-YOW, the agent told me that I would be accommodated on the next flight (2 hours later), given a $200MCO and lounge access until my flight.

Turned out there were 3 misconnects that didn't make it so I made my original flight.

But I guess sometimes you do get lounge access when bumped.

-mike
Old May 18, 2006, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and did you have a confirmed seat?
Old May 18, 2006, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zorn
No way! With Toronto traffic you'd have been lucky to make it to Oshawa
On A Sunday? I know the DVP was closed but it wasn't that bad!
Old May 18, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P, *A Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by airbus320
...and did you have a confirmed seat?
I didn't actually get VDB'ed, but the next flight was Y9, and she told me I would be on that flight had I been VDB'ed from mine.

-mike
Old May 18, 2006, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
They sent a smaller plane than expected for flight 464 at 7:10pm (YYZ-YOW). The smaller plane had 28 less seats. Almost 27 people were denied boarding.
Andrew has all ready answered your point about seat reduction. We expect a high level of detail on FT, please conduct your self accordingly and get the fact straight.

Since we are talking about an over booking situation, I must remind you that you that pax benefit from overbooking situations more than lose out. Passengers benefit from overbooking by being able to book on these unallocated seats and most usually get their requested flight. Essentially, if AC did not overbook you would have not been provided the 7:10pm departure and would be forced to take the 10:30pm flight.

The next two flights 466, 468 were near capacity so I was denied boarding until the 10:30 flight (#470). A/C offered me a voucher for a flight credit and expected me to wait almost 4 hrs for my next flight stranding me at T1.
Did you standby for 466 and 468, with you Prestige status you would have a good chance of getting on (unless by near capacity you mean that those flights were also oversold and near the oversell capacity). Did you instead go and sulk in the T1 Timmies rather than be proactive about the situation.

The flight credit is the standard form of compensation you are entitled.

While the four hour wait is regrettable, events like this happen in frequent travelers life. Get used to it and learn ways to mitigate your losses. Now if the airline is actively preventing you from mitigating the situation, then its time to complain/rant.

When I got bored of roaming T1 I asked the gate agent who I had been dealing with for lounge access due to the inconvenience. She refused and said A/C had no reason or obligation since I was scheduled on another flight. (4 hrs later). I am only 2 segments away from elite!
Lounge access is not a service offered to delayed pax, that’s the way things go and tuff luck. This may sound harsh but I bet (if this policy were allowed) you would also be the person complaining about all the riff raff being let into the MLL once you received ascension to Elite status.

Being close only counts in horseshoes. Again the rules are present Elite card or have J ticket or have lounge card. The strict interpretation of rules ensures that MLL operations are consistent (e.g. if AC let in delayed pax then the place would become a bigger zoo during weather events).

Overall this is unacceptable, many ppl were frustrated by this and booked immediately on West Jet....probably a better choice!
I have been in this situation as well and agree that it is very frustrating. As far as unacceptable, on face value of the original post, I would say that this is about standard service delay situations regardless of airline. I would chalk it up to “stuff” happens.

Does anyone have any tips to handle this better next time?
Ensure that you try (placing yourself on standby list) for all flights. Keep banging away because your number may get called. Priority standby that occurs with Elite and Prestige is a big benefit in these situations. Ensure your priority status is being recognized by the computer system.

Ensure that the GA is following the rules in regards to standby pax. Ensure you maintain currency on the rules and procedures applicable to the airline. If you are unsure about the standby rules (e.g. flying the airline for the first time), get clarification from staff. Ask a staff to walk you through the process to gain clarity about what is ahead.

If the procedures are not being followed, POLITELY challenge the GA after the doors are closed. Maybe there are extenuating circumstances that the GA used to override the procedures. Always be polite but be firm with your requests and observations.

If you need to rant, spend the $$$ and phone home to spouse or parents . I recently got the cell phone bill for a $40 rant phone call related to poor service in AKL (phoning YEG at $2.50/minute).
Old May 18, 2006, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
Why bother with facts when we can have rumour, I love it!!
Someone posted on Airline Employee Forum years ago

"Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant"
Old May 18, 2006, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hahaha LOL
Old May 18, 2006, 4:40 pm

...many ppl were frustrated by this and booked immediately on West Jet....probably a better choice!
I high doubt people actually got onto Westjet.

On May 14th WS had the following flights available WS414 at 8pm and WS208 at 9:55pm.

Pax would not be able to book the 8pm flight over the phone or through travel agent as the flight goes to airport control 2 hours prior to departure. (Note I am assuming the IDB situation occured no earlier than 6:45pm during the boarding process). Pax would not have the time to get bags and make their way to T3 before the flight closed for airport booking at 7:30pm (only a 45 minute window).

The 9:55pm flight is feasible, but would it be worth it over the 10:30pm departure on AC. The only reason I can think of is that the pax is so p!ssed at AC they take WS for spite.

I would think through your "statements"(1) a little more before posting.

(1) I'm being polite and not calling them rants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.