Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC treatment of young(er) passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Location: YOW, but formerly SJC/SFO, LGA, YUL, YGK, and ultimately YQQ
Programs: Altitude 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, occasionally the odd Accor hotel

Ok, so admittedly i'm younger than your standard aeroplan status holder at almost 19 (lowly prestige, hopefully that will change soon )/J class passenger but i've generally been free of problems because of my age aside for dirty looks from the occasional passenger walking to the back of the plane.

Last flight YOW-YVR however was one thing after another. No less than 2 AC staff, plus a couple other passengers, either asked if I was in the right line at the business check-in or told me I was in the wrong line and to head over to the economy check-in. Not only was I travelling on business but I also have an Aerogold MLC pass, you know, in case they wanted two reasons to let me in the line .

Several people pushed past me during boarding, saying they were "E/SE or in business" and the GA before checking my BP told me it was SE/E/business boarding before even looking at the pass and once I was on the plane I kept being skipped over for drinks (yes, even the non-alcoholic ones ) in favour of the older passengers. I'm not usually one to complain about this kind of thing but this trip was just a little over the top.

Anyone else experienced this kind of treatment/noticed it to be a problem?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by YQQgirl
Ok, so admittedly i'm younger than your standard aeroplan status holder at almost 19 (lowly prestige, hopefully that will change soon )/J class passenger but i've generally been free of problems because of my age aside for dirty looks from the occasional passenger walking to the back of the plane.

Last flight YOW-YVR however was one thing after another. No less than 2 AC staff, plus a couple other passengers, either asked if I was in the right line at the business check-in or told me I was in the wrong line and to head over to the economy check-in. Not only was I travelling on business but I also have an Aerogold MLC pass, you know, in case they wanted two reasons to let me in the line .

Several people pushed past me during boarding, saying they were "E/SE or in business" and the GA before checking my BP told me it was SE/E/business boarding before even looking at the pass and once I was on the plane I kept being skipped over for drinks (yes, even the non-alcoholic ones ) in favour of the older passengers. I'm not usually one to complain about this kind of thing but this trip was just a little over the top.

Anyone else experienced this kind of treatment/noticed it to be a problem?
I'd bet this is fairly typical behaviour because you are in an atypical situation, and the best thing to do is to keep doing what you are right here - talking about it, educating us... You might also want to share your experiences with a travel columnist for a major daily. It would make a nice column. I'd suggest being polite, smile (charm is always disarming), but be persistent with people who act dismissively, including staff, by letting them know you are a frequent traveler with status. It's not a question of complaining, so much as it is asserting your rights in a non-menacing manner - which is pretty much how all of us should behave.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
This topic has been beaten to death in other FT forums. Someone said that s/he says the response that I find best: 'Is this the Business Class line? OK, good, I'm in the right place.' Or if they say you're in the wrong line, 'Oh really, is this the economy class line?'
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Although I'm not as young as the OP, I still get questioned if I am SE (when in the SE line) and get comments from IC's about me being too young to be SE

There was one incident at YYZ T2 in Feb 2005 when I was checking in with my cousin for a flight to DEN and we went into the SE line. The woman in the Elite/J line stared at us and then squealed "excuuuuuuuuusse meeee!". I looked at her and whipped out my SE card and showed it to her like a FBI agent: "Elite line is there, and Super Elite line is here". She shut up after that and the dude in front of her was laughing.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
While not as young as you I do get questioned when I use the SE lines at YYZ T2 etc. As the J line is usually long I stroll up the SE line without anyone in it and feel the eyes burning into me and a couple of times got some old fart asking me what I was doing. To which I reply the same as you but I do it more often thus I am an SE
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:48 am

I'm a fairly young (mid-20s) guy. Last month I was travelling on a full-fare J ticket to Asia and headed into the YVR MLL (domestic). The woman behind the desk looked at my BP and said, "travelling on points, are we?".

I thought it was a bit condescending and not necessary, but, to be honest, I get great service from AC employees most of the time, so I would never bother to make any issue out of the odd lapse (unless it was REALLY terrible).

Sometimes, I find that the staff are nicer to be because I'm young. It all balances out, I guess.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1P, *A Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Brendan
...if they say you're in the wrong line, 'Oh really, is this the economy class line?'
Classic! will definitely give this a try next time I get a chance.

Things usually go the same for me, albeit I'm a little older, (24) I unfortunately look like I'm 19. While that may come in handy later on in life if I can keep that up (looking 30 when I'm 40 ) it certainly is annoying now.

Never held status on AC (but will be Elite this May), but have gotten similar such comments entering MLL's with appropriate passes, as well as flying in First Class on Continental Airlines many times in the past.

A similar such thing happened to me in SEA and EWR in November when flying F on CO. Needless to say I haven't flown CO since and started going for AC status this year. Hopefully I won't run into too much of this, but I won't be surprised if I do......

-mike
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:50 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I'm pretty young (24) and I find the less cocky and more modest I appear, the better I get treated by AC agents. Although AC's ground staff have been lazy and impartial (MAYBE due to my age: 'oh, he's young, he doesn't know what he's talking about') at the very worst, their inflight crews are incredible and focus on doing their job regardless of who it is to.

Majority of staring come from other pax I find.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:29 am

Programs: AC*E; HH-G; SPG-G; MR-S; الفرسان
actually, i find the fact that i'm younger (and much younger looking ) than the average E to be an extra perk.. and am happy to smile at the odd looker here and there..

mind you i tend to make up for my age in accessories (glossy heys carry-on, highly reflective raybans, flamboyant silk skarf etc) just to reduce any possible confusion in the caste system and snag the occassional op-up (on mexicana when it used to be *A).. i try to ignore the goons who confront u when trying to get into the ExecFirst line in YYZ T1 ..

as mentioned, dirty looks more likely from travelers than from staff (like the occassional seasoned flyer i have to step over to get to my seat in J) as well as from the servers in MLL (but mabe they're like that with everybody)

back when i first hit E a few years ago an AC agent remarked: "how on earth does a .. 19 yr old get to elite status?" .. dumbstruck i replied: i fly alot?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At T1 YYZ,staff at the check-in counter as well as roving staff are always asking me if I am supposed to be in this line,the SE line.
Many non SE people try to check in here as the lines tend to be short.Might be part of the challenges we all face.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:15 am

Programs: AP*E SPG*G
*sigh*

Being 'old' now just over 30, it seems I am apparently no longer 'too young' and don't seem to have much of these problems anymore......oh how I miss those days of getting snarky comments and dirty looks and dishing them back! I especially relished the comments from other pax about being in the wrong line in those airports where the *G/J line is right next to the Y line and making sure to wave bye to them when I've checked in and they're still waiting.

Enjoy the distinction you all have with being 'extraordinary' with your travels and take each thing one stare-down at a time. As has been said eariler, when the rudeness comes from airline staff, just be assertive but don't return the rudeness as that doesn't help. Other pax, on the other hand.....
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:47 am

I've noticed this too...

...albeit a while ago. I think it's a uniquely Canadian (not the airline) experience. I found I only got that "attitude" here from Air Canada in Canada, but never in the US and UK where I frequently travelled. It also seems to be from the middle-aged counter females in my experience. The interrogation from the lounge staff was worse than customs too. Personally, I think it's just that they know they have little competition (if any) so they can get away with it.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:50 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
When I was much younger, facing the situation of the OP and other youngsters who have replied so far, I was told something about "paying my dues" or "earning my place" etc. which I reluctantly and partially accepted as facts of life. I never replied to rudeness with rudeness.

If it is any consolation to you, very young SEs, Es, Ps and J class pax, you will earn your place in due time and will be enjoying it as I am now.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Last year my six year old grandson flew to visit us here Fredericton as an UM. When the "really good looking" FA handed him over to me she gave him a kiss on the forehead and told him he was the very best passenger she had ever flown with...

Ah, to be young again .....
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:10 am

Programs: AE, AA
Double Whammy

In my experience, as an older male, you get the double-dis when you're young and female.

When travelling with my wife, she is almost always the person singled out to have her carry-on checked, her MLL card checked, even when travelling ib Business Class, etc.

Handling it with grace and noting the names of those offenders is always helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.