Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Sleight of hand tricks again! SSWU's are gone at 45K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleight of hand tricks again! SSWU's are gone at 45K

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Noone is accusing Andrew of anything. IMHO it was a smart move on AC's part.Companies are known to hire their competitors employees to get the edge on their competitors.
You should stop alluding to things which are not in the public domain and re-work this post !
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
There are some people here who probably are smoking LA LA while making their so called contributions.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Ferrari
Come on Shareholder, be fair.!....

Lets not start blaming anyone for a bit of good business sense, if Andrew is the one that designed the new scheme, which I doubt, then good on him, its a smart move from AC point as it truly rewards the people that fly and not the ones that shop they way to seats..

It stops the trades, therefore reduces the UG's for all, like always we make it work...

That being said i justs think its easier to buy a J ticket on the flight you want and be sure to get the seat...

We all had a great run at twisting the system and fun it was...if AC was my business i would be doing the same...

Like I said last year, Parties over

Coming from one of the two men who so "twisted the system" to the point that Destina made you both sign non-disclosures about how you twisted the system. That's rich.

As for rewarding those who spend, we all know it will still be easier for an overseas long hauler like yourself to earn SE buying your H fares across the Pacific than for many NAmerican travelers to even earn E. You'll have plenty of SWUs to upgrade from your $1800 H-fare from SYD-YVR, while they'll have to buy $1600 Latitude fares to get from YVR-YYZ in a SWU-upgradeable fare class. You'll earn 18K miles a trip for spending a couple of hundred more, while they'll come away with just 4.5K miles. You'll pass Elite after two round trips, they'll need at least eight round trips. So exactly who is it that's paying for the privilege of sitting up front using an upgrade, and earning elite status?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Coming from one of the two men who so "twisted the system" to the point that Destina made you both sign non-disclosures about how you twisted the system. That's rich.

A wee little bit touchy tonight?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There are two real questions still not answered in this thread, and the original one:

1. Why did AC/AE remove the SSWU from Elites at 45K but keep it for SEs?
2. Why did AC/AE change the original list of 5 of 7 choices and replace it with two separate categories of more limiting choices?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for rewarding those who spend, we all know it will still be easier for an overseas long hauler like yourself to earn SE buying your H fares across the Pacific than for many NAmerican travelers to even earn E. You'll have plenty of SWUs to upgrade from your $1800 H-fare from SYD-YVR, while they'll have to buy $1600 Latitude fares to get from YVR-YYZ in a SWU-upgradeable fare class. You'll earn 18K miles a trip for spending a couple of hundred more, while they'll come away with just 4.5K miles. You'll pass Elite after two round trips, they'll need at least eight round trips. So exactly who is it that's paying for the privilege of sitting up front using an upgrade, and earning elite status?

I need 25 R/T between YSB/YYZ to make Elite,with some hefty revenue.

There are inequities,shareholder.I have been noting that for years.I believe there will be a rash of mileage runs using up the "old" and "available" coupons
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by acysb87
I need 25 R/T between YSB/YYZ to make Elite,with some hefty revenue.

There are inequities,shareholder.I have been noting that for years.I believe there will be a rash of mileage runs using up the "old" and "available" coupons
There loopholes & inequities in all FFP. I have seen posts on UA where some have got 1k by only spending $3000.00.
There are posters on SQ who have after 1 RTW in Businees became PPS. USD.5000. These are exception not the norm.
The average top tier is 20K
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Gr.Dane
I see that the new certificates has names printed on them.
Where did you see this information?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Where did you see this information?
On the AP website.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC-SE, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by ylwae
I note that the upgrade window for Elites is 7 days (and still at time of booking for Y domestic or Y/M international) with an SSWU. I hope that isn't a mistake--it would put Elites on a slightly more equal footing with SEs for some upgrades.
Interesting. When I click on the link for SSWU it says:

Zone Eligible fares Permitted Upgrade Reservations
Within Canada or between Canada and the continental USA Latitude Plus (Y) Anytime
Latitude (M, U)
Tango Plus (B, H, V, Q, L, A) Within 7 days
Between Canada and Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, St-Lucia, Trinidad and Venezuela Latitude Plus (Y) Anytime
Latitude (M, U)
Tango Plus (B, H)
Relax and Return (V, Q, L, A) Within 7 days
All other destinations Y, M Anytime
B, H, V, Q, L Within 7 days

When I look at the photo of the cert, it seems that there are different windows for E and SE, however the quality is too poor and I can't read it when I enlarge it.

D.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:25 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
the system is what it is. We all know here how to beat the system and maximize our personal gains out of it, so do so that way. Yes 1500 dollars for a latitude fare YYZ / YVR is very expensive, but a run to HNL on top of that for an extra few hundred dollars and you will more than double the mileage and not only that, you will also get your ticket upgraded at the time of booking. This forum teaches one how to earn a high number of miles, while minimizing the expenses, and all that while sitting up front, so take something from this forum and put it into practice.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
There are two real questions still not answered in this thread, and the original one:

1. Why did AC/AE remove the SSWU from Elites at 45K but keep it for SEs?
2. Why did AC/AE change the original list of 5 of 7 choices and replace it with two separate categories of more limiting choices?
Actually, a third very important question to me is what will be the mileage needed to achieve Elite status in 2007. I sure hope that they let us know before the deadline to choose our package, but I have my doubts. As someone who generally accumulates between 35,000 and 45,000 status miles, the decision whether to take the 5000 status miles over the 2 SSWU's could be crucial.

After last year's improvement to the program after years of taking away, I finally felt moderately happy about Aeroplan. Then they go and screw it up again!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by shore9
the system is what it is. We all know here how to beat the system and maximize our personal gains out of it, so do so that way. Yes 1500 dollars for a latitude fare YYZ / YVR is very expensive, but a run to HNL on top of that for an extra few hundred dollars and you will more than double the mileage and not only that, you will also get your ticket upgraded at the time of booking. This forum teaches one how to earn a high number of miles, while minimizing the expenses, and all that while sitting up front, so take something from this forum and put it into practice.
S9 you have your own personal loophole there. But I(and I'm sure most of the people on this board) would be in the negative cashwise wasting the extra day and a half for an upgrade and some extra Q miles on that itinerary. Fine if you are wasting some days off work though.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
So what is it you are accusing Andrew of???
DOnt worry its only people who DONT fly who would let this MESS be called a FF program....
Its a shame more of you can't or don't do something... vote for the progam with your $

Lets hope a web site starts up slamming Aeroplan
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:06 pm

Programs: AP*E SPG*G
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Actually, a third very important question to me is what will be the mileage needed to achieve Elite status in 2007. I sure hope that they let us know before the deadline to choose our package, but I have my doubts. As someone who generally accumulates between 35,000 and 45,000 status miles, the decision whether to take the 5000 status miles over the 2 SSWU's could be crucial.

After last year's improvement to the program after years of taking away, I finally felt moderately happy about Aeroplan. Then they go and screw it up again!
Very well summed up. I am suffering the very same dilemma. I suspect, as you do, that we will not hear anything before the deadline for selection. As it looks today, I find it very unlikely that I will be able to pass 50k next year with or without the 5k bonus unless my travel destinations for work change significantly (i.e. outside NA) in which case 50k will not be a major challenge as I'd be one of those not-so-lowly NA Es. But for now, I don't see that happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.