Wiki Posts
Search

Latest on AC Fleet renewal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:41 am
At Large
Original Poster

Latest on AC Fleet renewal

I thought it might be worthwhile to restart this discussion in a new thread.

http://www.flightinternational.com/A...n.html#Scene_1

The Canadian airline could also change its widebody plans by adding leased 777s to its fleet next year instead of the planned Boeing 767s detailed in a fleet-upgrade programme from April
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
Interesting.

How/where would they dispose of any 767's that get replaced.

Any ideas on what 777's are available for lease and what kind of fit-out AC would go for?

Would this delay getting clean and respectable cabins next year or bring it forward?

If they can get some 777's on lease how do the costs/figures stack up against refurbing and running 767's?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that there are a few 777 parked in the desert.

Are these the ones alluded to in the link?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:36 am
At Large
Original Poster

[QUOTE=drwoodsy]Interesting.

How/where would they dispose of any 767's that get replaced.
Who knows and who cares...I presume Boeing takes that repsonsibility

Any ideas on what 777's are available for lease and what kind of fit-out AC would go for?
There are obviously some available and they would probably do power by the hour until their purchased planes are delivered

Would this delay getting clean and respectable cabins next year or bring it forward?
Forward IMO, which is the only logical reason to do this

If they can get some 777's on lease how do the costs/figures stack up against refurbing and running 767's?
Who Cares,just get them here.....BTW you're in the business I think;you should be telling us
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:53 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Who cares about the 767s anyway. It's down to do you want fixed up 777s or fixed up 767s.

You can do all you want with the old 767s. They will be replaced soon. Why not get some newer planes that can last longer so that the refurnishment costs are not wasted. I'd rather AC get the 777s since they will be fixtures on the AC fleet (alongside with the 787s) in the long run.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:25 am

At this point with all the back talk.... JUST GET NEW PLANES ALREADY!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Is the article saying AC will delay the 767 refurb in favour of used 777's, or that AC will take used 777's instead of trying to scrounge up used 767's?

With their capacity aren't the 777's supposed to replace the A340's, not the smaller planes?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:53 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
UA has some 772's parked in the desert but I believe they are the only parked ones. IIRC, they have not had any takers so far as they are the rarer P&W powered ones so will not easily fit in to may other carriers' 777 fleets.

BA had exactly the same problem trying to reduce their fleet of 763's as they are the only operator in the world of RR powered ones - except one other Chinese airline but theirs is a tiny fleet in comparison.

Last edited by BOH; Nov 9, 2005 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by airbus320
I know that there are a few 777 parked in the desert.
3 x UA 772s at Goodyear Az, but only 1 appears to be 'available' on various brokerage sites.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Rumour from a YVR BB that fin 613 is being stripped of paint and will emerge with a polished metal fuselage as a 'trial'.

Confirm ?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: AC 75K
Nope...not a rumour. From Tuesday's AC Horizon's Daily:

"Looking to lose weight and save money – ‘polished’ look tested on B767. Air Canada is considering taking a new polished look to its B767s to further reduce weight from its fleet and offset record fuel prices. The Toronto Paint Shop is currently conducting tests by stripping primer and paint from FIN 613’s fuselage, which will then be polished and buffed to give its aluminum coating a shiny finish – the aircraft will keep its Air Canada logo and the new tail design. The removal of primer and paint reduces the aircraft’s weight by approximately 360 pounds, which translates into fuel savings of more than $24,000 per year for each aircraft. “Based on our evaluation of FIN 613 over the next few weeks, we’ll determine if we’ll proceed with other B767s,” said Jon Turner, Vice-President, Air Canada Maintenance. Watch for more details in the December issue of Horizons."
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Given the state of UA's fleet that would now be mothballed, these aircraft would still need interior refurbs and the issue for whatever aircraft leased is still seat availability and workable IFE systems. The aircraft type is pretty much irrelevent. I'd suspect the 777s would replace 763s AC is still waiting to get from leasing company. Existing leased 763s would be assigned to new routes, while major ones like LHR and FRA and others where loads dictate would get the new, interim 777s to add capacity. (Also, these would be short term leases, and the aircraft replaced by the new LR versions AC would receive off the production line.)

Just flew UA's 777s and while they do look nice and not as worn as AC's 763s -- at least the two I rode -- one could use some masking tape. Upon take-off, the cover from the fuselage lighting over my seat fell off! And the massage feature on the C-class seat wasn't working either.

Another issue AC must have is being able to convert any new leased aircraft to its current seats, let alone new ones. Until it starts pulling seats off the current 763s, how many extra sets does it have to configure leased aircraft to even minimal AC standards?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Reading between the lines AC has woke up.... why spend $$$$ on referbing the 767 that are going to be replaced in 2010... originally the 767 were going to be referbed FAST now they won't even be finished referbing them till 2007... So why spend all that money?
Also a 777 is NOT a swap for a 767... the 777 has way more seats. AC would need high density routes for a 777 and they just dont have those.. LHR would be the only real place to swap 767's.
Unless AC gave us something like this! But its AC so very little chance of passenger comfort.

http://www.mymileageplus.com/mmp/dSt...s.1kordads.mmp
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
Originally Posted by parnel
Who Cares,just get them here.....BTW you're in the business I think;you should be telling us
I haven't come across too many planes in the construction industry!! I did however turn down a job on LHR T5

My queries were a polite hint towards hoping AC would just bin some of the 767's instead of wasting money on the ever looming refurbs.

Be interesting to see how many 777's they can get hold of and what routes they put them on.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
Reading between the lines AC has woke up.... why spend $$$$ on referbing the 767 that are going to be replaced in 2010... originally the 767 were going to be referbed FAST now they won't even be finished referbing them till 2007... So why spend all that money?
Also a 777 is NOT a swap for a 767... the 777 has way more seats. AC would need high density routes for a 777 and they just dont have those.. LHR would be the only real place to swap 767's.
Unless AC gave us something like this! But its AC so very little chance of passenger comfort.

http://www.mymileageplus.com/mmp/dSt...s.1kordads.mmp
There are different variants of the 777, and some aren't much larger than a 763. It all depends on the model they have in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.