Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Petition to Ban Cell Phone Calls On AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:24 pm
k22
Original Poster

Programs: ACSE 100K 1MM

Petition to Ban Cell Phone Calls

Taking the cue from a number or recent threads, I suggest we campaign AC to stay firm and ban cell phones on AC (once the doors are closed). I know we have discussed this elsewhere, but my sense is that the vast majority would prefer that our flights are not interrupted by the loud and intrusive cell phone conversations we so often experience in the MLLs (and elsewhere!).

Serious emergencies...life or death.. fair enough.....

But do you agree that cell phone conversations should be banned while the doors are closed?

Let's hear from you all!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:33 am

I think cell phones (and for that matter smoking) should be allowed on flights. However, passengers wishing to do either should be obliged to step outside, just like in restaurants.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
I think cell phones (and for that matter smoking) should be allowed on flights. However, passengers wishing to do either should be obliged to step outside, just like in restaurants.
^
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by k22
I know we have discussed this elsewhere
Yeah but I'm glad another thread on the subject was created.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Yeah but I'm glad another thread on the subject was created.
I think the intent of the OP was to create an official "petition" thread on the subject... perhaps the OP can clarify.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:47 am
At Large

You have my vote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:09 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I too would support a ban and it would probably influence my choice of airline as well if I took a flight and was surrounded by the incessant babble of other pax into their cell-phones.

I'm not convinced a zoned area for cellphone use would work either - in the same way in the past the smoking zone still subjected everyone on the plane to breath the same air. Given the high level of background noise on an a/c most people would shout into the phones.

Air rage incidents would no doubt increase as well - imagine pax on an overnighter continually being woken up by phones ringing around them. I see this enough on early morning trains in the UK when pax are dozing off and get woken. On a few occasions people have got very angry, very quickly after the 2nd and 3rd time one rings within a short time.

I for one am concerned on the safety aspect. After the Madrid train bombs, London Underground is believed to be re-assessing whether to install the cellular infrastructure to allow cell-phones to work. They were used as a very effective means of detonation in Madrid, at the precise moment to cause the maximum carnage. Now imagine a device on board a plane with a cell-phone trigger and the a/c mid-atlantic or over London or Toronto

I'm sure the authorities will have thought of all this - but someone, somewhere who is determined enough always seems able to beat even the most thorough security.

So it seems to be the potential downgrade in safety is another reason to ban them, let alone the:"Yes, hello, can you hear me? We're on the plane, I've had the chicken, Auntie Flo had the fish" type of utter bol***ks conversations we will all be subjected to.

Last edited by BOH; Oct 10, 2005 at 6:19 am
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:39 am

Programs: AC - ACMM; LH - SEN
I will also vote *NO*. Give the airlines time to install the equipment required for reliable and speedy internet access and people who insist on staying connected can use instant messaging and emails. They will need to block Skype and other VOIP services to stop people from chatting incessantly over these services while in-flight too.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
Count me in.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:30 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
If someone has something really important to say they can use the phones already installed on aircraft in my view.

No to cell phones in confined places.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:36 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Originally Posted by BOHr
Given the high level of background noise on an a/c most people would shout into the phones.
Do you think the background noise OUTSIDE the A/C would make them to think twice about making that important call?

The OP got my vote as well...
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I think such a petition campaign would be more effective if addressed to Industry Canada, Transport Canada, the CRTC and the Canadian Airline Transport Association [or whatever its correct name is]. The first three are the federal bodies that would have to sign off on such a thing happening based on technical and licensing grounds, while the fourth would address the matter from the perspective of all airlines operating within and to/from Canada. AC would get the message through its association.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: Sans souci
As someone who would like to see (or hear) cell-free zones in MLLs, I'd certainly vote to ban cells on aircraft.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have my vote as well- no way to the cell phones on board!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
As always the few irresponsible cell phone users ruin it for everyone. To keep everyone happy make head-sets mandatory on flights and MLL. Would this keep you old farts happy
PS when you get older you will be hard of hearing, so you won't care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.