Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cash-rich Air Canada contemplates options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/

Air Canada's parent company is flush with cash, creating both opportunities and headaches as investors await a payout and unions push for wage increases.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:24 am
At Large

Yummy!!

Such a poorly run operation and so much cash..........right PE
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They should put the money into inflight product/marketing/IT systems/Human Resources.......and save the rest for a rainy day!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:34 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by parnel
Yummy!!

Such a poorly run operation and so much cash..........right PE

Performance bonuses to staff would go a long way to restoring confidence amongst the rank and file.

Cheers
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by negotiator
Performance bonuses to staff would go a long way to restoring confidence amongst the rank and file.

Cheers
You must mean the Pilots I assume AC still pays its staff more than West Jet, isnt that enough?
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what analysts have to day about the cash payout.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by negotiator

Cheers
Are you advocating ACE giving bonuses to staff based on how well they perform individually? How very ununion-like of you.

ACE already has a profit-sharing plan in place. I would imagine that if it feels it can give back to the shareholders, it has set aside an amount to give to the employee's. Brewer is doing a lot of things right when it comes to employer-employee relations IMO.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I see you missed this one too, Airbus320, when I posted it on Saturday. Can't always rely on search engines to deliver the news... The story ran in Saturday's GLOBE ROB, and I posted it under the ongoing thread about JAZZ being spun off.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I see you missed this one too, Airbus320, when I posted it on Saturday. Can't always rely on search engines to deliver the news... The story ran in Saturday's GLOBE ROB, and I posted it under the ongoing thread about JAZZ being spun off.
SH: Need help.

Can you point out exactly where there is a previous link to analysts discussion on AC's cash distribution. My link is dated 3 Oct and I can't find an earlier analyst discussion.

But again the ravages of time affect eyesight and memory.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
With the extra cash, perhaps no more buy your pillows and blankets in the back. And also perhaps a hot bun instead of a cold one in the back. And an amenity kit should be provided in Y as well.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:13 am

Programs: AC elite and climbing..
i agree with both thumbs up, don't charge for everything on board. flew in Y yesterday from YYZ YVR, and i have to tell you, without the meal service, it would've made the ride even longer than it was.

i asked for a blanket, and got one unwrapped. what's with that? has anyone else ever come across this?
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by airbus320
Can you point out exactly where there is a previous link to analysts discussion on AC's cash distribution.
I don't want to presume to speak for SH, but I believe he may be referring to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=rulling
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This business comes across as somewhat disingenuous, following so closely the previous bankruptcy. Seems to me if anyone qualifies for their share, perhaps it should be the people screwed up by the bankruptcy: creditors and employees?

Still, at the end of the day, I am a bit puzzled by this line of spin. Why raise expectations and get all parties attention in this way? It would seem to me that if AC does have some cash at hand, the best they can do with it is to invest it in their own business, ensuring stability in the future. Such as, investing in planes rather thanrelying on leases, etc. Or maybe lower some fares, so as to increase volume of business (although that would only make sense if they have planes and people to handle more traffic).

But cashback to shareholders would be the last thing I would expect?
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
I don't want to presume to speak for SH, but I believe he may be referring to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=rulling
I checked that one closely. There is no analysts discussing pro and cons of cash distributions in that thread. Must be hidden in another thread.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by airbus320
SH: Need help.

Can you point out exactly where there is a previous link to analysts discussion on AC's cash distribution. My link is dated 3 Oct and I can't find an earlier analyst discussion.

But again the ravages of time affect eyesight and memory.

More the fact that not all stories appear to be logged online which is why I was unable to link it on the weekend. This one appeared under the heading "ACE PROPOSES SPECIAL DISTRIBUTION, Subsidiary Jazz spinoff in holding pattern" by Bent Jang, Transportation Reporter. (I have the clipping itself.)

And sorry, should have made initial remarks to tcook too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.