Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Are you missing the CBC ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OT: Are you missing the CBC ?

It has been a week since the labour disruption. Any impact on your daily life?

The only thing that I miss is the internet news.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:41 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I miss the Ottawa radio morning show, and the evening drive home show and/or the first few minutes of the World at Six.

I am a big CBC supporter, but this strike is forcing me to re-think my bias. I am not intimately familiar with the CBC budget, but wouldn't it follow that the commerical free radio service receives most or all of its funding from parliament? Will the CBC be compelled to return the money saved during the strike?
--
13F

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; Aug 23, 2005 at 8:48 am Reason: punctuation
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:45 am

Programs: AC*SE, MR Plat
Since my main source of local news is the CBC web site, I'm also missing the internet news.

I used to be a big CBC radio and TV person, but since I've been on the road, I don't get a chance to tune in nearly as much as I used to.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:50 am

Missing it all...

I am pretty heavily dependant on the CBC. It accounts for 97% of the radio listening I do driving to and from work - so I find I miss the morning and afternoon drive shows quite a bit.

I have tried to find a mix of news and financial info on the radio in Calgary, but I find QR77 has too many commercials and the news is more of the headline variety than anything with depth.

Dear CBC:

Please settle and put the things right on the radio.

MBALLB
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:01 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Peter Mansbridge

Losing my nightly ritual of watching the 10 pm news with Peter has caused my some concern; I find I am watching more Law & Order reruns or Sex and the City because the CTV and local news doesn't start til 11 pm.

I hope that this is solved in the short term but it would seem that both sides have dug in the the long haul...
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
I have started watching the CTV national news on CTV Newsnet which is on at 10 in Ontario; same as The National.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
I listen to CBC radio on my commutes, usually 1-2 hours each way. I choose to listen to it and I generally like it. So I was surprised to find that I often prefer the pinch-hitting stuff that is on now to the usual traffic/weather/obscure arts reviews that is normally on. It's really random, so for every O'Reilly on Advertising there's someone you've never heard of playing everything on the Canadian Content shelf (in alphabetical order). But the absence of the new weaker Roundup (sorry Tetsuro but you're no Bill Richardson) has got to be a good thing.

Still I find I listen to a lot of silence these days... nothing else on the radio is worth my time. As for TV, I don't watch TV news ever, so there's no impact for me.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I myself miss the CBC. I think the work they do is of great value to Canadians and their national and international news coverage is very good (local is a different story). With the strike, the quality of the news (in all mediums) is appalling.

But you know what, the BBC World News makes me nostalgic and I think back to my good times in Europe. This thus raises the point that perhaps the CBC should show the BBC News more often!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:56 am
ALW

Newsworld runs BBC World News at 6pm ET, if that helps.

=aw
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:02 am

Programs: several
Definitely. Especially the National, Radio 1 & Newsworld.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:21 am

I really am enjoying the BBC news that is being used to fill in where the National usually airs.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Webber
Newsworld runs BBC World News at 6pm ET, if that helps.

=aw
Except I have no cable at home.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:22 am

Apperantly, ratings for this weekend's Argos game sans commentators were actually up Guess we don't need those union thungs
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:23 am
exAC

The CBC is a poor waste of electricity. With any luck they won't come back.

Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by exAC
The CBC is a poor waste of electricity. With any luck they won't come back.
OK we agree on something

The sooner the CBC is cut from the govt tit the better. Its a waste of over $1 billion in taxpayer subsidies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.