Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Thinking about flying AC for the first time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2005, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite

I need to go to YYZ this fall, and was thinking about flying AC. They're the only airline that offer IND-YYZ nonstop. But the service is via AC Jazz, and it's on a Dash-8.

Can anybody tell me about this Jazz service on the prop planes? Is it worth $400 to fly nonstop, or am I better off paying the same price and connecting at ORD?
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:22 am
Suspended

Go thru ORD double miles.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:32 am

go direct, no connection.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Agree with direct. Time is money plus adding ORD increases chances of delayed flight, lost luggage, yada yada yada...
Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Go direct. Too high a chance for weather and traffic delays through ORD. As it is such a short hop from ORD - YYZ they hold the flights on the ground whilst other "in the air" traffic lands. I have sat on the ground in YYZ (on the plane) for several hours waiting for a slot into ORD.

As for AC Jazz, Dash-8, a bit of fun. If my AC Jazz FA friend is any indication you should have a good time!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can vouch for the Dash 8 service on this run.(did this run in February)
Full flight to IND,half on rebound.Either way ,the elimination of ORD is a major benefit.(unless you are after miles or segments
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boofer
I need to go to YYZ this fall, and was thinking about flying AC. They're the only airline that offer IND-YYZ nonstop. But the service is via AC Jazz, and it's on a Dash-8.

Can anybody tell me about this Jazz service on the prop planes? Is it worth $400 to fly nonstop, or am I better off paying the same price and connecting at ORD?
If you are concerned about getting status miles/segments, then connect through ORD. Otherwise, take the direct on AC metal.

If you've ever been on a CRJ, then you'll hopefully like the DH1/3... even though a prop, you'll find the DH's are much more spacious. If any food service, it will be Buy on Board (BoB) and there is one flight attendant. One lav. As usual, bring earplugs. For seating, you can check out www.seatguru.com, but I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate but pretty darn close as its AC source is this forum.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:50 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Johnosan
As for AC Jazz, Dash-8, a bit of fun. If my AC Jazz FA friend is any indication you should have a good time!
You've gotta be kidding. You would have to be stoned or high to have fun or enjoy a Dash 8 flight.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taupo
You've gotta be kidding. You would have to be stoned or high to have fun or enjoy a Dash 8 flight.
Why?Going through ORD is no pic-nic either.
I much prefer the Dash 8 over the RJ-100 skidoo anyday of the week
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:14 am
Suspended

hmmm. things to do on my next flight to the Okanogan. THANKS TAUPO!!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87
Me too....
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by acysb87
Why?Going through ORD is no pic-nic either.
I don't disagree with you, but to say the Dash 8 is fun, gimme me a break. I would prefer to watch grass grow than fly on a Dash 8
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Dash 8s can be fun. I once had an entire Dash 8 from Peace River to High Level all to myself and the flight attendant. She was very attentive!

Plane is fun as you load and unload fast, seat comfort is OK for flights less than an hour/hour and a half (two hours is a bit much in this plane). Skycheck is Ok (makes up for lack of overhead bin space)
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Dash 8s can be fun. I once had an entire Dash 8 from Peace River to High Level all to myself and the flight attendant. She was very attentive!

Plane is fun as you load and unload fast, seat comfort is OK for flights less than an hour/hour and a half (two hours is a bit much in this plane). Skycheck is Ok (makes up for lack of overhead bin space)
I guess it all comes down to one's definition of fun. I find nothing fun about ckin, security, departure areas, security again (sometimes), boarding, sitting on a plane (any plane), following way too many rules, having far too many rules being told to you, then getting off at the other end.
Being on a cramped Dash 8 or CRJ just makes it worse.
I am one of the few people who fails to see the fun in travel. I thoroughly enjoy most destinations, but the getting there I can do without.
Whenever they invest the "beam me up Scotty", I will be one of the first customers
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
I guess it all comes down to one's definition of fun. I find nothing fun about ckin, security, departure areas, security again (sometimes), boarding, sitting on a plane (any plane), following way too many rules, having far too many rules being told to you, then getting off at the other end.
Being on a cramped Dash 8 or CRJ just makes it worse.
I am one of the few people who fails to see the fun in travel. I thoroughly enjoy most destinations, but the getting there I can do without.
Whenever they invest the "beam me up Scotty", I will be one of the first customers
I like to fly. I hate driving to the airport, being at the airport, lining up, showing people my papers and possessions whether I want to or not, and being away from my family. But the actual moving through the air fast part I quite like. I like to look out the window at landscapes and cities, and I like to feel how fast we are moving. The little planes let you feel the speed, and flights on a little plane have comparatively less of the boring "ah yes, more clouds below us, snore" part of the flight.

Given the choice between YYZ-SEA direct and YYZ-YVR-SEA I prefer to connect: I get more miles, I do US Customs and Immigration with a nicer team, and I get a flight on a little plane. It may sound odd, but that's how I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.