Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SOT: AC Cancels flights to Jamaica - What's you're hurricane experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite

I noticed from the GTAA website that AC has cancelled 982 to MBJ and Air Jamaica has cancelled AC codeshare AC9830 to Kingston because of Hurricane Dennis.

Given that I leave for MBJ next week I think I've dodged a bullet. However, I'd like to know if any poster has been through a hurricane first hand (either in the US or in the islands) and what their experience was like.

Who knows, maybe some of the real seasoned veterans will remember Hazel from 54!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't experienced it (Thank goodness!). But I've seen hurricane footages on TV and it seems like a giant whirpool air hovering the skies.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by Mozzarella
... However, I'd like to know if any poster has been through a hurricane first hand (either in the US or in the islands) and what their experience was like.

Who knows, maybe some of the real seasoned veterans will remember Hazel from 54!
Hurricane Juan was a category 2 storm when it came ashore in Halifax in October 2002. There was a great deal of property damage and a couple of fatalities directly attributable to the storm. I was lounging around in Provence at the time, didn't know it was coming, and didn't know it hit us until my daughter called us from YOW. I returned home expecting to find some damage and was delighted to discover that our house was barely affected. We were very fortunate when I think about all the mess in the Halifax area.

I was pretty young when Hazel breezed through Toronto ... let's see, if it was '54, I would have been 4.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
I experienced Gilbert in 1988, Ivan in 2004 and I am presently in Jamaica experiencing Dennis. Trust me I would much rather be else where.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Is this early for hurricane season to start? I know every year is different, but thought August was the month to start worrying about where my clients are...
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:20 pm

July is the start month but they say this is the quickest they've had 4 named storms...
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...12&newsLang=en

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 8, 2005--Air Jamaica - http://www.airjamaica.com - has resumed air passenger service to/from Jamaica today, Friday, July 8, 2005 following the passing of Hurricane Dennis. Flights are operating to both Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston and Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay from the carrier's gateways in the U.S., Canada, London and points throughout the Caribbean.

Air service to/from Jamaica was suspended yesterday with the closure of the island's airports due to Hurricane Dennis.

Passengers are advised to call Air Jamaica Reservations at 1-800-523-5585 for updated information prior to departure.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I was working in the PHL area in September 2003 and we were hit by Isabelle.. it was on the borderline between Cat 1 and a Tropical Storm. Winds were super strong and there were times where I thought my building was actually going to topple over from all the shaking, but nothing big really happened. I had a flight on UA to CHS that weekend and UA allowed for free changes up to the early November timeframe. What sucked was that if I wanted to change to after early November, UA was going to charge me.. it's like they only gave me a choice of free change travel prior to November, which wasn't possible for me at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.