Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Who will benefit the most from Jetsgo's demise: AC or WS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who will benefit the most from Jetsgo's demise: AC or WS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by jimmac
By contrast the first thing out of AC is a negative. Your jetsgo tickets won't be honoured by us, don't show up with useless paper on our doorstep.....

....Monte has some huge amount of work to do to turn this organisation around to a customer oriented, market focussed outfit.
I think the AC reaction in this case is exactly right. I know it seems harsh but the JG type pax is not AC's bread and butter, so why risk overloading airplanes and inconvenincing regular customers for nothing?? Humanitarian aid is best reserved for true natural disasters and not to come to the assistance of infrequent low budget flyers, who should read about caveat emptor.

AC is enjoying record load factors, so the best move for them might be to sit and wait. WJ on the otherhand can rush into fill the void, but only at the risk of diluting their fleet and leaving them exposed to JG Xmas type fiascos. Imagine what would happen if WJ took on FLL or MIA to soak up the March Break crowd this year, and there was a freak spring snowstorm in YYZ or YYC that closed the airport(s) for 10 or 12 hours??

AC on the otherhand will have some new lift freeing up once the new RJ 705's and the EMB 195s come on stream, so they will be well positioned to add an extra flight into places like YYJ or YQM.

DF
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
I think the AC reaction in this case is exactly right. I know it seems harsh but the JG type pax is not AC's bread and butter, so why risk overloading airplanes and inconvenincing regular customers for nothing?? Humanitarian aid is best reserved for true natural disasters and not to come to the assistance of infrequent low budget flyers, who should read about caveat emptor...

DF
Sorry to sound like a schoolmarm, but I think you're missing the point. It's not what you say, its how you say it.

Every news outlet I tuned into the morning after Jetsgo's collapse reported the initial press releases almost verbatim. Shot of teary eyed Jetsgo refugees, cut to quote of AC's press release pi$$ing all over them. Joe Viewer can relate to a stranded traveller at Pearson perhaps more than say a victim of some Iranian earthquake. AC didn't have to open up a massive amount of seats or add more flights -(though kudos to the them, did have at least one extra section YYZ-YVR that night) -all they needed to say was "we'll do what we can to help stranded Jetsgo travellers". That's open enough to interpretation that they wouldn't have been hemmed in.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:42 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Sorry to sound like a schoolmarm, but I think you're missing the point. It's not what you say, its how you say it.

Every news outlet I tuned into the morning after Jetsgo's collapse reported the initial press releases almost verbatim. Shot of teary eyed Jetsgo refugees, cut to quote of AC's press release pi$$ing all over them. Joe Viewer can relate to a stranded traveller at Pearson perhaps more than say a victim of some Iranian earthquake. AC didn't have to open up a massive amount of seats or add more flights -(though kudos to the them, did have at least one extra section YYZ-YVR that night) -all they needed to say was "we'll do what we can to help stranded Jetsgo travellers". That's open enough to interpretation that they wouldn't have been hemmed in.
Agreed that presentation is important! Especially when the press is looking to build a certain human ninterest/misery angle. It annoys me however when I watch the news and I hear the recently inconvenienced saying things like "the airlines should just accept the JG tickets at a gesture of goodwill" or "the government should step in and make the other carriers save us......" etc. etc.

On the goodwill point, what can AC expect in return for their gesture of goodwill?? The JG type flyer is very price sensitive and will turn in a heartbeat so the goodwill will likely be one way. In terms of government involvement, the issue is really moot because the government is there to ensure that certain standards are being met. To the extent that they are, they are really powerless to escalate the remedial measures unless they are willing to foot the bill, which is an entirely different discussion.

If the travelling public didn't get the loud and clear message that various government actions on JG were effectively votes of non-confidence, then they have to live with the consequences. I think the best quote I heard was from a disgruntled but realistic JG pax who said '...you buy cheap, you get cheap...."

DF
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At YOW yesterday, I saw a billboard for JetsGo: Toronto -- Pay a little, fly a lot. I so badly wanted to find a thick black marker from somewhere and write -- Pay a little, and don't fly at all. This Jet has Gone....
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
please, please, no more bad PUNS!!
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WestJet catches another updraft on JetsGo's demise...

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...4533361_newsml
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC *SE AF BA PC Plat
Originally Posted by YOWkid
At YOW yesterday, I saw a billboard for JetsGo: Toronto -- Pay a little, fly a lot. I so badly wanted to find a thick black marker from somewhere and write -- Pay a little, and don't fly at all. This Jet has Gone....
I found out on my way back from Jamaica on Sat, when the FA handed me a Globe and it was on the cover. Now, sitting in YYC I have this uncontrolable urge to get a similar black marker and add the "ne" to the end of all the Jetsgo signs....

Graffiti from the knights who say "ne"... (or was that "ni")

Last edited by tester355; Mar 14, 2005 at 2:18 pm Reason: Spelling, and gratituous Monty Python reference
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
Agreed that presentation is important! Especially when the press is looking to build a certain human ninterest/misery angle. It annoys me however when I watch the news and I hear the recently inconvenienced saying things like "the airlines should just accept the JG tickets at a gesture of goodwill" or "the government should step in and make the other carriers save us......" etc. etc.

DF
Agree with you entirely. And unfortunately they hold AC to a stricter standard and are quicker to criticize it. Unfair, but AC's PR dept must know that's what they have to live with.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Michel Leblanc: I'm sorry....

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...nc-050316.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.