Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hey MacAttack, your name is more appropriate than you may realize

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

I just got off the phone with an Aeroplan.com tech service person who tells me that they have made modifications to their site, and yes, it no longer supports Mac users. This means we cannot get past the booking screen that appears once one selects one's flights. And it also means that there is a Mac User's Fee since we must make our bookings through a CSA!

Maybe Mac Attack can explain the rationale for this, and why Aeroplan is attacking Mac users?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I just got off the phone with an Aeroplan.com tech service person who tells me that they have made modifications to their site, and yes, it no longer supports Mac users. This means we cannot get past the booking screen that appears once one selects one's flights. And it also means that there is a Mac User's Fee since we must make our bookings through a CSA!

Maybe Mac Attack can explain the rationale for this, and why Aeroplan is attacking Mac users?
Does not quite sound like they "no longer support" Macs. More like, they made some changes that break on Macs. Sounds like deja vu, re the AC site saga. There does not seem to be any message anywhere on their site as on the AC one though.

I wonder about Linux... But I am not going to make an unnecessary reservation for the sake of trying.

If it were that they check for browser and cut off anything that's not Micro**** stuff, then there ahould be an easy way: get your browser to identify itself as what it's not.

When doing that, the AC site would no longer display the offensive and arrogant message "You browser is not compatible." But the stuff that did not work still did not.

I guess that message is just your usual disrespectful AC spin. An euphemism for "we know our stuff is buggy but we are too cheap/lazy/incompetent" to fix things before going life.

Still, just be patient.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:38 pm
Suspended

SH - Firefox! Works great with all AC/AE sites. http://www.getfirefox.com

I downloaded it just for this purpose and am now using it as my main browser. Have actually booked and paid for flights on ac.com with it as well.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
OK isnt mac 1% of computer sales???
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
Not if you are in the arts/design areas..... !

Last edited by Q Shoe Guy; Feb 16, 2005 at 5:52 pm
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:33 pm

Operating system and Internet browser compatibility with aeroplan.com

Dear All,
There were no changed made to aeroplan.com that made it incompatible with Macs. I'll ensure that this message is reinforced to the aeroplan.com assistance centre. That being said, please read the Q&A below that I copied from our FAQs.
Thanks,
Marc
P.S. Good call on Firefox.

Question
Which operating systems and Internet browsers should I use to get the most out of aeroplan.com?

Answer
Currently, more than 90% of our members access our website using the Windows operating system and a recent version of the Internet Explorer browser; aeroplan.com was designed with this fact in mind.

Aeroplan intends to introduce enhancements to aeroplan.com later on in 2005 that, once implemented, will fully support all standards-compliant Internet browsers, regardless of your computer’s operating system.

In the meantime, to take full advantage of the aeroplan.com website, we recommend the following operating systems:

- Microsoft Windows 98SE or greater
- Macintosh OS v.10 or greater

In addition, we recommend that members always surf aeroplan.com using the most recent version of the following Internet browsers:

- Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/)
- Netscape 7 or greater (http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/)
- Firefox 1.0 or greater (http://getfirefox.com)

Members who are unable to book their rewards online are invited to call 1-800-361-5373 to speak with one of our agents in order to complete their booking (note: these calls are subject to the booking fee).
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:50 pm
Suspended

MacA, YGPM
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by why fly
Is it that much??
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:26 pm

I've been using Firefox for a while now. It really is faster than IE. The only thing is not all sites work with it. Most do though.

Speaking of Macs, they are excellent products. They are very good for the graphic/artistic user due to their simplicity and processor speeds. And, their iPods ain't bad either (I have a 2003 10GB one). Great for the flights They should make an Empower adapter for it.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spoiled brat.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mac Attack
Currently, more than 90% of our members access our website using the Windows operating system and a recent version of the Internet Explorer browser; aeroplan.com was designed with this fact in mind.
Just a couple of details here:

1. if based upon statistics from what browsers report, these 90% most likely include Linux users who set their browser up to masquerade as Explorer on some version of Windows.

2. Recent statistics, from http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp seem to report a somewhat different picture.

For browsers, IE6 at 64.9% in February, down from a peak of 72.6 in May. IE4, still 4.3% but descreasing. Firefox, 20%, mostly from mozilla, which still has 4%, down from 21.3% in December. Incidentally, Mozilla had been going up steadily since 2002.

For OS, various windows added up to 89.1%, with Linux 3.1% and Mac, 2.9%. Both up by roughly 50% since mid 2002.

So, it appears both Mac and Linux are significantly more than 1%, as some claimed. If 1/3 of the Linux users (typically savvy enough to do that) set their browsers up to masqureade as IE, you end up with 7% on non-Microsoft users, at least. And probably reaching 10% within a year.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid
Spoiled brat.
I bought it a few weeks ago off ebay (in mint condition) with my own hard earned money.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I bought it a few weeks ago off ebay (in mint condition) with my own hard earned money.
What did you sell?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
SH - Firefox! Works great with all AC/AE sites. http://www.getfirefox.com

I downloaded it just for this purpose and am now using it as my main browser. Have actually booked and paid for flights on ac.com with it as well.
Couldn't agree more with FatBoyYVR - Firefox is the way to go. Much faster than Safari and IE bloatware. As for the Mac OS stats, we may be small but we're tough. Bring on the Powerbook G5 (I might even be able to heat up AC eggs in the back of the bus with it).
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC nothing,HH Silver,PC Gold, BW Plat
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
Speaking of Macs, they are excellent products. They are very good for the graphic/artistic user due to their simplicity and processor speeds. And, their iPods ain't bad either (I have a 2003 10GB one). Great for the flights They should make an Empower adapter for it.
I agree the Mac offers great products and is slowly gaining back the market share they lost. I just got one of the new iPod minis doesn't hold as much as the regular iPod. (iPod 20GB or 40GB, iPod mini 4GB) I like the size of the mini much better than the regular. Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.