Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Seat to SCL?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Best Seat to SCL?

I will be flying solo in Busniness Class to SCL on December 24 and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to which would be the best seat.

If the seat configuration allows, I would prefer to have a 'single' seat (ie not beside anyone else.

I am also flying from:

EZE - GIG on Varig RG 8635
GIG - MIA on Varig RG 8818
MIA - YYZ on Air Canada AC 919

I don't know which aircraft are being used for any of these legs, nor which business seat would be most desirable.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Good Luck on the GIG-MIA, stinky old RG's MD-11.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

919 is operated with a 320.

To SCL, you're on an AC-763, so single seat on the right.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWkid
919 is operated with a 320.

To SCL, you're on an AC-763, so single seat on the right.
Do you know which seat number?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Good Luck on the GIG-MIA, stinky old RG's MD-11.
Which seat would by *your* preference on the 'stinky old RG's MD-11'?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindBeneathMyWings
Do you know which seat number?
Take a look at the Sticky thread on Seats at the top of the first page of the AC forum. That would be the best place to look -- I've never been on an AC-763, only exCP-763.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindBeneathMyWings
Which seat would by *your* preference on the 'stinky old RG's MD-11'?
http://www.varig.com.br/

Click on FROTA under A Empresa (dropdown menu) and there will be a link as follows:
Clique aqui para visitar o Hotsite de Aeronaves
they use the MD-11 type II. You will be lucky if they route the 777 for this route as they use that for JFK_GIG.
No flat beds, old J seats.
and to add one more thing, old Miserable Matrons. And don't forget to read the VARIG forum, alot of satisfied customers write in. But hey that's my opinion.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 10, 2004 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:01 am
At Large

Rows 2,3, or 4 in the single row are all fine row 5 and 6 are sometimes blocked for pilots rest and row one is of course a bulkhead..
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:26 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
http://www.seatguru.com has AC seat maps, but no VARIG ones...
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Much Thanks...

You guys are GREAT!

Thanks for all the info and tips!
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
http://www.seatguru.com has AC seat maps, but no VARIG ones...

Varigs seat maps can be found on it's site.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
5A is generally the seat set aside for pilots and it reclines fully to a flat "bed". It is unlikely to be assigned. Also check out 3A, which on some ex-CP 763s has been similarly adapted to full recline. You can confirm this be seeing if there is a black velcrow strip over the seat. That indicates it can be enclosed by a curtain, so means you have the modified seat.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
WindBeneath, I just came back from SCL a couple weeks ago (YYZ-SCL).

Both outbound and return aircraft were 763's. The outbound was an ex-CP 1*2*2 763 so we got DVD players. For the return though it was another 763 2*2*1, however this was an AC a/c so no DVD but PTV with consantly streaming movies (you can't pause and start and stop etc.). This is just an FYI as I have no idea what FINs you will be on.

As for best seat, I sat in the single seats both ways and it was fine. Look for the sticky at the top of this forum for the best seat. Usually it's the pilot seats with the velcro taped to the sides of the walls. If you're lucky like us, on the return trip there was only 5 of us in J so we got extra special attention from the flight crew...
Old Sep 10, 2004, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
WindBeneath, I just came back from SCL a couple weeks ago (YYZ-SCL).

Both outbound and return aircraft were 763's. The outbound was an ex-CP 1*2*2 763 so we got DVD players. For the return though it was another 763 2*2*1, however this was an AC a/c so no DVD but PTV with consantly streaming movies (you can't pause and start and stop etc.). This is just an FYI as I have no idea what FINs you will be on.

As for best seat, I sat in the single seats both ways and it was fine. Look for the sticky at the top of this forum for the best seat. Usually it's the pilot seats with the velcro taped to the sides of the walls. If you're lucky like us, on the return trip there was only 5 of us in J so we got extra special attention from the flight crew...

Thanks for the tip.

How was your trip?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Trip was great. Went skiing at Valle Nevado... hired a driver to take me up the 50 or 60 odd switchbacks (at times you'll see some makeshift memorials on the side of the cliffs indicating that a car fell over the side!)... I could go on forever about my trip and my flights so I can PM you if you want

This is definitely a place I will visit every summer now ^

But for the flights, I forgot to mention that on the outbound (mostly EZE pax), J was pretty full and the pilots did utilize their seat 5A to sleep in and the velcro'd drapes were pulled all the way around as well. Also, the FA's took turns sleeping in 5HK I think. The food was great, and as on any int'l flight they pretty much stuff you with food. For the return, the pilots and crew just chose some random seats to sleep. Outbound was 11 hours, return was almost 12 due to strong headwinds. The view over Florida and the Keys was amazing on the outbound, and on the return, you can watch the sunrise over the horizon of the Atlantic. ^ For the return trip, you get a some sort of "Summary Card" where you can check off what type of breakfast you want (all a la carte items with a hot dish) and when you want it to be served to you if at all.

I have the footprint book that Shareholder lent to me. It's quite useful although slightly outdated. I still have yet to return it to him (sorry Shareholder, I've barely been home since coming back from SCL), but with his permission, I could send it to you instead with a return address back to him. Of course, I can only do this once I get back home this coming Wednesday (in YUL then CLE).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.