Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Strike threat at airline supplier Cara

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/ser...c_cara20040804

VANCOUVER - About 650 employees at Cara Operations at Vancouver International Airport are voting Wednesday on possible strike action.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:59 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/ser...c_cara20040804

VANCOUVER - About 650 employees at Cara Operations at Vancouver International Airport are voting Wednesday on possible strike action.
Gee does that mean they may need to find some real food to place on flights?

PB
Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Gee does that mean they may need to find some real food to place on flights?

PB
Conversely,does that mean we will get any type of food on flights?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 3:19 pm

Heh.. that will certainly put a bite on the Buy On Board program

Wonder what would happen if Cara goes on strike, AC finds a better supplier that the passengers like better.

Oh the downstream ramifications could be huge!

B
Old Aug 5, 2004, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about Timmy's? You can't get more Canadian than that!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:09 am

Workers reject terms of settlement; strike action set to begin tomorrow

From another forum

August 17, 2004 - In a vote taken yesterday at the workplace, members of UNITE HERE! Local 40 strongly rejected the terms of settlement proposed by Mediator Brian Foley after talks broke down last week with the employer, Cara Airline Services Division at the Vancouver International Airport in Richmond, BC.

By a vote of 68%, union members rejected the wage freeze, two-tier wage system and job reclassification schedule proposed by the mediator. The union represents 650 workers at the Flight Kitchen and Commissary who work as cooks, bakers, galley builders, drivers and who perform cleaning and maintenance duties.

The employer was notified immediately by Local 40 President Bill Pearson of the results of the vote and a 48 hour waiting period is now in effect allowing the employer to dispose of perishable goods, as required by the Labour Relations Code.

Strike action is set to begin on Wednesday evening and is expected to severely impact Air Canada's passenger service with no food or beverage supplies for any of the airline's flights departing Vancouver. Workers have been without a contract since the beginning of the month.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:09 am

Well that just figures ... first time I have a round trip through YVR (next week) and this happens ...

PB
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:32 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Just wishful thinking, but maybe would get some meals for international flights ex-YVR from CLS Catering (the company that makes makes for CX, SQ, LH etc.) instead?

14 hours without a meal would be torture!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:12 am

Well I am transiting down to Portland ... first time using US Immigration in YVR - I hear they are even more of a pain than YYZ -- guess I will find out ...

PB
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From today's Daily

"In the event of a labour disruption which could begin tonight at Vancouver International Airport Air Canada is ready. After a week-long impasse in negotiations with their employer, employees at Cara Operations at Vancouver International Airport have voted in favour of a strike. We continue to remain hopeful that Cara and its employees can still achieve a resolution without strike activity. In the event of a labour disruption, our flights departing Vancouver would not be provisioned with the usual refreshments and meals. In response to this situation, Air Canada is working with Cara and other suppliers to provide alternatives which will minimize the disruption to our operation and inconvenience to our customers, with focus on reduced provisioning. In addition, In-Flight Service management and support staff from across the system will be in Vancouver to support our employees and customers. We continue to follow the Cara situation very closely and are committed to minimizing the impact on our customers with our priority being the on-time departure and arrival of our flights."
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Why are some flights ex-YYZ affected?

Why would some flights from YYZ-YVR be affected? I better get my hot breakfast in J on 131 tomorrow. How would one find out if there is food or not on a given flight?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:28 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Because they have to double cater the flight for the return and some aircrafts don't have the capacity for it, so they will have to sacrifice something on the YYZ-YVR segment as well.

The picket lines went up few hours ago.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good heads up for those into YVR,myself included.
Pack a bottle of water and a snack.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:06 am

Dining while flying

I have found very little food service, so invaribly bring my own or eat at the Airport.

Houston, for example, has a first class seafood restaurant at the Airport an there are always good fast food service - even in some airports Wolfgang Puck express.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update from today's Daily.

"Cara labour disruption at Vancouver International Airport an update. Yesterday evening at 7:15 p.m. PDT, employees at Cara Operations at Vancouver International Airport began walking off the job following up on a vote for strike action which was concluded earlier this week. Despite the picketing activities which have been set up by the Cara strikers, Air Canada employees have been able to safely get to their work areas. Management and support staff from In-Flight Service and other branches from across the system have joined Vancouver airport employees to support them and our customers. This is to help ensure that all our flights depart and arrive safely and on time. Every effort is being made to advise our customers of the situation prior to leaving home, on arrival at the airport or prior to boarding their flight. Alternatives have been put in place to minimize disruption to our operation, our customers and our employees. We remain hopeful that this labour disruption will be of short duration. We will keep you informed of further developments through The Daily. To all of you who are at Vancouver Airport, thank you for your dedication and hard work."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.