Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South American Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

South American Airlines

Are VARIG and United the only Star Alliance members and or Air Canada Partners which operate in South America?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
www.staralliance.com
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC *Gold
Originally Posted by WindBeneathMyWings
Are VARIG and United the only Star Alliance members and or Air Canada Partners which operate in South America?
I believe Lufthansa flies direct to Sao Paulo, Garulhos and Buenos Aires from Frankfurt.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the assistance!
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I believe UA has fifth freedom rights between MVD and EZE, as does LH between a couple of SAmerican cities where it sets down. This seems to be a common practice which AC used to utilize between SaoPaulo and EZE when it flew EZE as an extension of its Brazilian service. BA used to do the same between EZE and SCL, and I suspect AC has similar rights now between SCL and EZE.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
BTW, speaking of 5th freedom and UA, I noticed while pricing out something for a client this aft. that there's a UA operated flight GUA-SJO!
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
yup, I believe it goes SFO-LAX-GUA-SJO...
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Lufthansa

Lufthansa flies from Santiago to Buenos Aires and then onto Frankfurt using Boeing 747. This short 3 hour flight crosses spectacular Andean Mountains and offers a close up view of the tallest mountain in South America, Aconcagua. This route was what saved my Star Alliance award because Varig had a blackout period from Dec 1-Jan 15 in all of their South American routes so if it wasn't for the LH flight from SCL to EZE, I would not have been able to get to EZE before Jan 15 and back home on United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.