Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-LHR Dayliner experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
It's interesting that this flight never seems to have C availability, other than on a Saturday (and the same holds true for the 9pm departure ex LHR).

Also, from the one time I took UA's daylight flight from IAD to LHR, both F & C were full, but Y was probably only about 40%.

From the above points, I wouldn't be willing to take this risk personally, but I guess it's down to the individual.

Hope you get that u/g whatever you decide, though.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Swiss Tony]

Also, from the one time I took UA's daylight flight from IAD to LHR, both F & C were full, but Y was probably only about 40%.

If I could not get an upgrade to J,a 40% Y cabin sounds OK to me.Should be lots of extra room to stretch.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It's interesting that this flight never seems to have C availability, other than on a Saturday (and the same holds true for the 9pm departure ex LHR).

From the above points, I wouldn't be willing to take this risk personally, but I guess it's down to the individual.

Hope you get that u/g whatever you decide, though.
Thanks for this - my current plans have me taking the 9pm flight out of Heathrow to YYZ on a Thursday night. I would be able to postpone the outward trip to the Friday morning if the upgrade chances are better.

On the way back, I find I'm in much better shape coming off a daytime flight in economy than an overnight flight in business, so will probably stick with the Dayliner. I could take the nonstop from YVR-LHR but suspect that the competition for upgrades will be just as intense on that route. I would also lose half a day in BC.

BTW, I echo your views on UA922 - never seems to depart less than 100% full up front. I'm always surprised that there are not more eastbound daytime flights by *A carriers across the pond!
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=acysb87]
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
If I could not get an upgrade to J,a 40% Y cabin sounds OK to me.Should be lots of extra room to stretch.
I agree... Taking up 4 or 5 Y seats to lie flat is better than a J seat anyday, in my opinion.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
Originally Posted by House
I could take the nonstop from YVR-LHR but suspect that the competition for upgrades will be just as intense on that route. I would also lose half a day in BC.
On YVR - LHR I have always had 100% u/g success - including 2 friends on *A certs!!
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drwoodsy
Originally Posted by House
I could take the nonstop from YVR-LHR but suspect that the competition for upgrades will be just as intense on that route. I would also lose half a day in BC.
On YVR - LHR I have always had 100% u/g success - including 2 friends on *A certs!!
Thanks for this - I think I might be changing my plans!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I usually fly transatlantic flights from Canada to Europe on red-eye flights.

In late Sept, I will be flying on the dayliner flight via LHR.

I will be in business class.

Any difference between the dayliner business class service and the red-eye business class service, on AC?

I presume that the service as of 10 years ago, as stated in the earlier posts on this thread, has changed somewhat. No pods then, to start with?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Closer to two real hot meals is the main difference IMO. Breakfast (although just Omelettes, no choice from my last experience about a year ago) and then a full lunch service.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Closer to two real hot meals is the main difference IMO. Breakfast (although just Omelettes, no choice from my last experience about a year ago) and then a full lunch service.
I can not remember if the usual business class AC amenity kits are the same or different for red-eye Canada to Europe flights, versus day Europe-Canada flights. How does the amenity kit compare to those scenarios?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:11 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I can not remember if the usual business class AC amenity kits are the same or different for red-eye Canada to Europe flights, versus day Europe-Canada flights. How does the amenity kit compare to those scenarios?
Since the refresh, both directions feature the full amenity kit (in the new grey/brown case).
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
I take this almost monthly and this is indeed the meal service. With a strong tailwind, we're sometimes starting the dinner service just a few hours after clearing breakfast!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
I love this flight for all the reasons stated above. I'd rather do this flight in Y than an overnight in C.

If you are on 868, think about an early wakeup (I set my alarm for 4.30am if taking this flight). Helps me go to bed on the other end at midnight or 1am local time.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Put me down as another person who really likes this flight. Much easier than the overnights to adjust to the new time zone.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
It is a good flight, I highly recommended! I wish Air Canada would split the current high density 777 flight from YVR to LHR (458 seats) into 2 767 flights (211 seats) with a dayliner flight and an overnight flight. That would give Air Canada a solid advantage over British Airways, Air Transat and Virgin Atlantic.

Imagine:
YVR - LHR 05:30 - 22:40 767
YVR - LHR 18:30 - 11:40 767

I would take the early flight anyday! It will probably never happen because of possible delays and the 11:30 pm LHR curfew and the lack of feeder flights that early in YVR.

Has any airline ever tried a European dayliner from the west coast?

Last edited by sluis; Jul 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by sluis
It will probably never happen because of possible delays and the 11:30 pm LHR curfew and the lack of feeder flights that early in YVR.]
Ignoring all that, such a split will never happen because it would require another slot. LHR is a destination that demands density.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.