Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YEG installing wireless internet access in terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Jun/1046961.htm

ANNAPOLIS, Md. --(Business Wire)-- June 8, 2004 -- One of Canada's largest and busiest airports has selected Opti-Fi(SM) Networks, Ltd. to provide the passengers in its terminal with public wireless Internet access.

"We are excited to offer our passengers advanced Internet services," states Edmonton Airports President and CEO, Scott Clements. "Information today is exchanged at such a rapid pace, and providing wireless Internet access for our passengers ensures they can access information when they need to. Business travelers waiting for a flight can connect to the Internet and keep current on important matters as they develop."

Opti-Fi is a leading provider of host-neutral wireless Internet at North American airports. It provides a fully managed public 802.11b wireless access service with roaming, as well as private, wireless capability for the airport and for the businesses on-site. Because the Opti-Fi managed service is host-neutral, airports retain complete control over their own wireless assets and frequency spectrum.

"The Edmonton International installation has begun with a site survey and network design," stated Tim Barrett, President of Opti-Fi Networks. "We expect to launch the public wireless access in mid-summer, which is a busy travel time in Alberta." Opti-Fi will deploy a dual-use wireless infrastructure throughout the Edmonton terminal. Travelers with 802.11b wireless-equipped computers and other devices will be able to subscribe to the public system as soon as it is operational. The airport will have private wireless access at the same time. Opti-Fi Networks will maintain the dual-use system after installation, providing 24/7 on-call support.

Opti-Fi simplifies the delivery of public wireless access for airports by managing the airport's outside relationships with multiple telecommunications vendors and providing complete billing services. The Opti-Fi host-neutral solution accommodates roaming customers under multiple network agreements, assuring virtually all passengers can have access to an Internet connection, regardless of their provider. Edmonton International joins Opti-Fi's growing list of North American airport customers in New York, Alabama, Wyoming, Iowa, Alaska, Ohio, Connecticut, Ontario, and British Columbia.

"With the addition of Edmonton as our third Canadian customer, Opti-Fi Networks has emerged as an international provider of world-class wireless services and infrastructure," continued Barrett. "We offer extensive real-world wireless experience and technical capabilities no one else can match, providing an accessible, secure, reliable, and comprehensive wireless Internet solution."

Edmonton International Airport in central Alberta serves about 4 million airline passengers a year. It covers more than ten square miles--making it Canada's second largest airport in physical size--and supports about 8,300 jobs. In partnership with 65 companies, the airport generates about $1 billion for the economy. For more information, contact Traci Bednard, Manager, Corporate Communications at (780) 890-8055.

Opti-Fi Networks, Ltd. is a wireless technology provider formed by the Parsons Corporation, ARINC Incorporated, and the founders of Airpath Wireless, Inc. The company provides managed, shared Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) access for airports and other public venues. Opti-Fi is the only company that offers complete, managed public and private broadband Wi-Fi service that meets the business needs of today's airport operators, air carriers, on-site concessionaires and services, and the traveling public. For more information, visit the Opti-Fi web site at www.opti-fi.com.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC MM
While passing through Denver about 3 weeks ago, I noticed that they had banners all over the place advertising wireless access all over the airport. I used the wireless access in the RCC, which was a different provider, so I didn't give it a try to see if there was a fee involved.

This really is fantastic, it sure makes waiting for your plane a bit more bearable.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
"One of Canada's largest and busiest airports..." Thanks for the laugh, tcook. That line alone will keep me chuckling until I get into YEG on Friday.

"Edmonton International Airport in central Alberta serves about 4 million airline passengers a year. It covers more than ten square miles--making it Canada's second largest airport in physical size--and supports about 8,300 jobs. In partnership with 65 companies, the airport generates about $1 billion for the economy. For more information, contact Traci Bednard, Manager, Corporate Communications at (780) 890-8055." Can we call Traci for a tee-off time? She forgot to mention it's the only airport in Canada with an 18-hole golf course...

BTW, email me a local phone number so we can plan rendezvous details for the ballgame. Seems like it's just the two of us...

Last edited by Shareholder; Jun 8, 2004 at 4:10 pm
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
^ Sh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.