Wiki Posts
Search

Worst service: food on AC business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, NWA, AA
Worst service: food on AC business

Our family of 3 flies more than 500k total p.a., on various airlines.
The most bizare lack of service happened recently on AC.

Usualy the bad service is towards economy passengers, this time it was business.
On a long-haul flight husband asked to have the lobster. Answer was "no more". Half hour later he passed the galley, and saw the paid-to-attend women to eat ... lobster.
While the full paying business customers had to put up with economy-quality food. My husband was not the only one forced to eat beef. I think all on the last rows were treated that way.
I doubt AC will ever recover financially if attendands continue that way.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:50 am

I doubt AC will ever recover financially if attendands continue that way.[/QUOTE]

Please note that crew meals are often, but not always, similar to business meals on a long haul. Because the FAs are not allowed to eat until the first service is completed, the meals are not heated until 30 mins or so before they eat.

The meals are in a back stowage and have foil on them. At times, when there is enough time for FAs to check meals before a flight, (there often is not time for more then a passenger meal choice count) the crew may see there is a meal like Business and offer it as a choice. It would then have to be heated and the passenger waits. Please note this is not a requirement, but a courtesy. (And I did it as often as I could, and encouraged my crews)

Although it is entirely possible you got the one FA in 1,000 who might be mean enough to what you said, please know that FAs desire to please passengers, not to tick them off. (she/he certainly should have eaten elsewhere, regardless.)
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Angry shame on the crew

pi4er,

I would send Air Canada a complaint letter... totally unacceptable for the crew.. I would have confronted the crew and written down their names
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Well, whatever the reason is, this is definitely not good for perception... and perception is the kicker beyond anything else.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
As adamadam4 says (Welcome, BTW. I assume you're an AC employee), sometimes the FAs don't know what is in their meals until later. While this may be a perception issue, it may not reflect the true situation at all. Rather than ranting about what you thought the situation was, you could have resoloved it by asking politely how come the flight crew were getting what looked like a J meal they said wasn't available. If it was as adamadam4 said, you'd get an explanation. If not, you'd have the satisfaction of embarrasing someone who was breaking the rules, and the grounds for making a complaint. With few exceptions, the flight crews are doing a very good job these days, and in some cases a great one.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:05 pm

While were complaining about J meals.

I recently flew YHZ-YYZ scheduled 17:00-18:21 and
YYZ-YVR scheduled 19:55-21:50.

Both these flights are not considered hot meal times. The first flight was an hour late. No big deal. My beef, or lack thereof, is that there isn't alot of food between these two flights. The 5 hour transcon had a very hard bun and cold plate. Not even desert If the first flight was on time I could have bulked up in the lounge and been relatively content.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:11 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by tracon
The 5 hour transcon had a very hard bun and cold plate.
Yes, for some reason they think cold plate = cold buns too. The least they could have done was heat up the buns like all other meals!!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Dessert is often hard to come by on non-transcon NA flights. Oftentimes it's either those hydrogenation friendly Lindt chocolates, or a solitary chocolate dipped strawberry

No complaints on the cookies, though ^

I do seem to remember when I first flew CP that they would have a basket of muffins and whatnot in J in case anyone got peckish. Sure beats cashews and sesame mix all the time
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:22 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by Simon
a solitary chocolate dipped strawberry
I don't mind the chocolate (the white chocolate ones are great!) but have you seen people who sat there and peeled the chocolate off just to eat the strawberry?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I just remember my first ever flight in AC J, and this was short haul, I had a great, great, great apple crumble type thing with caramel sauce drizzled over it. Little has compared since within NA
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:26 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Empress
Yes, for some reason they think cold plate = cold buns too. The least they could have done was heat up the buns like all other meals!!
Hmmm - I thought I would be arrested if I made comments about their buns!!!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Academic
As adamadam4 says (Welcome, BTW. I assume you're an AC employee), sometimes the FAs don't know what is in their meals until later. While this may be a perception issue, it may not reflect the true situation at all. Rather than ranting about what you thought the situation was, you could have resoloved it by asking politely how come the flight crew were getting what looked like a J meal they said wasn't available. If it was as adamadam4 said, you'd get an explanation. If not, you'd have the satisfaction of embarrasing someone who was breaking the rules, and the grounds for making a complaint. With few exceptions, the flight crews are doing a very good job these days, and in some cases a great one.
I agree. My basic point was that initial perception can still be damaging (like, a first impression), even if one takes the time to ask questions to resolve the potential perception problem. Anyway, I'm sure there was an excellent reason for this situation and yes, flight crews are doing just fine in both service and attitude.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pi4er
Our family of 3 flies more than 500k total p.a., on various airlines.
The most bizare lack of service happened recently on AC.

Usualy the bad service is towards economy passengers, this time it was business.
On a long-haul flight husband asked to have the lobster. Answer was "no more". Half hour later he passed the galley, and saw the paid-to-attend women to eat ... lobster.
While the full paying business customers had to put up with economy-quality food. My husband was not the only one forced to eat beef. I think all on the last rows were treated that way.
I doubt AC will ever recover financially if attendands continue that way.
I have travelled with SQ and with CX in J class and believe me the service including the food cannot be compared to AC's J class. It is a shame but I hope they improve as I got rid of my one world alliance with AA Adv to join AC's aeroplan. I was upgraded many times on CX's flights being a One world Ruby. Hot buns, croissants, you name it they served it..........................
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:12 pm
At Large

I have been on several long haul international flts this year and the service was great on every flt...in J of course. There was always plenty of choices(being SE helps there) and always fresh food available in the galley if one wanted a snack when they were not coming around.
Of course I will hit a bad flt one day but then again I hit bad traffic some days and some days other things do not go as planned..such is life.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, NWA, AA
I could not say that their service was perfect. Still, AC are not on my "worst economy" service - BA (ground London) and LH (crew) jointly hold the palm there. Just that this AC case was "bizare", out of repetition with anything else good or bad witnessed before, and easily preventable (I think Asian crews check their own meals if they notice a business passenger lacks his choice - since they always check three times before "no"), and this was business class.
I said we travel way too much. My 4yr old kid probably has million miles on record. We are way too used to flying in Asia - not only Asian airlines, but UAL and NWA till Narita match that too. Maybe that explains my sensitivity, too.
Putting myself and the kid usualy in economy, I have seen satisfying special meal requests with bringing me food from business (kid wants apple, I want chocolate) - on any in-Asia airline tried.. If the lobster mishandling happened on Asian airline the first crew reaction would've been to go to the "mistreated" business passenger - or at least to the ones that passed by the galley during crew meal time - and to offer them second meal of lobster - if they still have the stomach, that way crew still "keep face". I mentioned earlier that I think crew are instructed to check their meals and not say "no" before that but I can't be sure. On SQ I've witnessed immediate handling of a dicsount voucher immediatelly after noticing a small "lack of X" in business class.
I actually posted here after reading thread on "food on UAL business" (where I have most of my airmiles). I quote PUNKI posted today in that thread:
"""We did have one flight recently, however, where they (UAL) only boarded 6 meals for 12 people. Go figure. The flight attendants were furious with the caterers. Both the pilot and co-pilot gave up their meals and I got a free BOB meal, which was actually my first choice anyway. Because of this and a couple of other inconveniences associated with this adventure, we also both received a $100.00""""

Perception matters.

Last edited by pi4er; Jun 7, 2004 at 2:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.