Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will United Star Alliance Gold provide benefits on AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will United Star Alliance Gold provide benefits on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:40 am
dzh
Original Poster

Location: London, UK. Hilton Gold, SPG Plat, UA PremEx, AmEx Centurion
Question Will United Star Alliance Gold provide benefits on AC?

I have United Mileage Plus Premier Executive (Star Alliance Gold). Should I expect this to provide any benefits flying LHR-YVR-LHR in H on AC?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:55 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
other than lounge access and priority checkin and baggage, nope it won't get you an upgrade or anything else.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Well, if you wanted you could have preferred seating on AC flights, but this is not really something you should seek on its narrow body fleet as the first three rows of the back cabin offer less pitch than the balance of them further back. STARGold could get you an op upgrade from time-to-time, as long as there are no AC SEs or Elites in the cue. But not much more than the usual benefits of lounge access, priority bags and check-in, extra checked luggage allowance.

However, if you are on an H fare, as you post, then you could be upgraded by an AC Elite or SE who is upgrading and has a couple of extre SWUs. How you seek out such a kind soul is anybody's guess, but you could post flights and dates here and maybe win the Aerolotto!
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:32 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
to upgrade someone else, do you have to be travelling on the same flight??
Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by shore9
to upgrade someone else, do you have to be travelling on the same flight??
Yes.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA- 1K &GS, DL- Diamond
Thumbs down

With most *A airlines the best feature of Gold is preferential seating, but not on AC. Their computer system (I think its an old Radio Shack TRS-80) doesn't recognize Gold status with Star Alliance so you will rank below a regular Aeroplan member ie. no status whatsoever.

Also from my experience Aeroflot has better service so be sure to take a tranquilizer immediately on boarding.

Be sure to send us some feedback after your trip! I only fly AC to destinations when driving, rail or barge service isn't an option.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UGS-2003
With most *A airlines the best feature of Gold is preferential seating, but not on AC. Their computer system (I think its an old Radio Shack TRS-80) doesn't recognize Gold status with Star Alliance so you will rank below a regular Aeroplan member ie. no status whatsoever.

Also from my experience Aeroflot has better service so be sure to take a tranquilizer immediately on boarding.

Be sure to send us some feedback after your trip! I only fly AC to destinations when driving, rail or barge service isn't an option.
Thank you for your opinion !
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The point is AC does not have Preferred Seating. It sticks anyone into the front part of economy cabins on wide bodies, and has reduced pitch in front seats on narrow-bodied aircraft. One is just as well, often better off, not sitting in its so-called Preferred Seats.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
DZH the other nightmare with AC international,... at the moment is flying to the infield terminal... Avoid it at all costs!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:03 pm
dzh
Original Poster

I'm not familiar with "infield terminal"? Is this where international flights arrive in Vancouver? To avoid it would I have to use another airline? I guess my only other direct option would be BA which would not earn me any mileage.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:06 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Infield terminal is at YYZ only. Since you're flying YVR-LHR, that's not a concern. As for Star Alliance Gold benefits on AC, since you live in UK (as per your profile), did you get any of those Star Alliance upgrade certs for UK members in the mail? If so, you could use it on your flight since you're booked in H.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:22 am
dzh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Empress
did you get any of those Star Alliance upgrade certs for UK members in the mail?
Yes. Just discovered them at the bottom of a draw ... thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:30 am
At Large

Originally Posted by why fly
DZH the other nightmare with AC international,... at the moment is flying to the infield terminal... Avoid it at all costs!

I disagree unless you are changing terminals after you clear customs and get your bags. I've landed there four times now and each time I was outside getting into my taxi within about 30 minutes of gate arrival. Baggage on the one flt I checked any on was on the belt after I came through customs and I was first through having flown up front and knowing where to stand on the bus. Yes, the bus is a little inconvenient but there is no more walking than there was at either terminal 1(old) or terminal 2 and the time from disembarking to being out of the terminal is shorter. The customs/immigration hall is bigger and better served as well
Old Jun 8, 2004, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by dzh
I have United Mileage Plus Premier Executive (Star Alliance Gold). Should I expect this to provide any benefits flying LHR-YVR-LHR in H on AC?
Definitely make use of the Maple Leaf Lounge.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:48 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by dzh
I'm not familiar with "infield terminal"? Is this where international flights arrive in Vancouver? To avoid it would I have to use another airline? I guess my only other direct option would be BA which would not earn me any mileage.

No, it's Toronto...who else but a resident of the centre of the universe would assume you'd know what they were referring to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.