Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to "fight the Aeroplan bureaucracy"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Ugh...

I just booked 4 award tickets with Aeroplan via their phone reservation system--they charged me $100 for this because I didn't use the on-line booking system. I explained to the nice people on the phone that I couldn't use the on-line system because I was booking a stopover stay, which is completely allowed. It wasn't fair that they charge me when their own website is not competent.

"Sorry, nothing we can do", they say. "and it's no use complaining because I cannot transfer you to a supervisor and, besides, they will never refund this fee." One gal went on to tell me that it is normal for each airline to charge their customers for booking an award ticket by phone. (Not at all true, AFAIK.) She took my number and told me that someone from the "Lead" department would get back to me in a week (!)

So, HELP! Who can I call or write to correct this? Does anyone at Aeroplan care about the way they treat their FFs?
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:16 pm

We all hate that $25 fee. AP realizes its illogical and thus a logical argument will not displace them.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Welcome, BigEd... unfortunately, there's nothing much you can do but wait for the upgrades to the AP site to allow for bookings that include open jaws and stopovers... but we all agree that this is something that needs to be done.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, the charge is irritating, but you got several thousand dollars worth of travel and stopovers to boot. Live with it because you're not getting it back and it really isn't worth the time, trouble and irritation. It's a fact of life, like the Conservatives could actually form the next federal government. At least you'll earn 100 Aeroplan miles and maybe a chance to earn one of those summer bonuses.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Yes, the charge is irritating, but you got several thousand dollars worth of travel and stopovers to boot. Live with it because you're not getting it back and it really isn't worth the time, trouble and irritation. It's a fact of life, like the Conservatives could actually form the next federal government. At least you'll earn 100 Aeroplan miles and maybe a chance to earn one of those summer bonuses.
you are enjoying the wealth the last Federal Conservative govt created for this country! And in Ontario the Conservatives stopped taking it away in taxes.

Remember Bob Ray... Oh and how did DULLton Liberals stick to his written promise not to increase your taxes?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you, sir, may I have another?

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, it seems that no one has been successful in fighting against these unreasonable surcharges. You all seem to accept it, like the pledges getting the swats on the rear in Animal House. ("May I have another?")

Aeroplan is by no means my main FF plan...I've cleaned out my account and will not add to it. Thank goodness. I could not put up with this sort of thing without getting pissed off each time.

I hope some of you get as bothered as me and will solicit them to change. They will only do it if enough people get upset! (Isn't that how all change occurs?)

Bon courage!
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
BigEd... no problem. It may be in your view that we just like getting rammed up the butt with all this nonsense, but I assure you, we have other reasons as to why some of us stick with AC... some of it is based on convenience, corporate policies, the ease at which status can be accumulated at just 35K, flying out of small airports that are only serviced by AC regional carriers... etc. But your input is much appreciated.. and yes.. bon *courage*! ^
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
hey ed..it goes like this

Very Simple

Call Aeroplan- You Will Be Charged
Book Online- No Fee

Now If You Cannot Book Online..that Does Not Mean You Will Not Be Charged By Phone..aeroplan Knows U Cannot Do Stopovers Online And It's Not Their Systems's Fault..buddy Ever Heard Of Business? They Are In A Business Like Banks,hotels..ect
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Former_Aeroplan_Employee
Very Simple

Call Aeroplan- You Will Be Charged
Book Online- No Fee

Now If You Cannot Book Online..that Does Not Mean You Will Not Be Charged By Phone..aeroplan Knows U Cannot Do Stopovers Online And It's Not Their Systems's Fault..buddy Ever Heard Of Business? They Are In A Business Like Banks,hotels..ect
Hmmm, I am sitting here wondering why you are a former Aeroplan employee when it would seem that you could still work there and fit in quite well. As far as an Aeroplan being a business goes...most businesses would listen to their customers and , IMHO, Aeroplan rarely does that.

As a side note, if AC knows that you can't do stopovers online then why pray tell do they repeatedly show up on the booking engine? We have given numerous examples of these crazy itineraries so it would seem that it is not impossible...
Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:45 pm

What I want to know is what's with all the capitalization?

BTW, anyone else as bemused as I am at the concept of paying for Aeroplan bookings so you won't have to pay for Aeroplan bookings?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

new slogan at Aeroplan. "Fly free for a fee"
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Hmmm, I am sitting here wondering why you are a former Aeroplan employee when it would seem that you could still work there and fit in quite well. As far as an Aeroplan being a business goes...most businesses would listen to their customers and , IMHO, Aeroplan rarely does ..
Maybe that's why the person is now a former employee... maybe AP is trying to change the attitude of their staff by finally canning ones that have such a negative attitude and keeping the postive attitude ones? One can only hope...
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:19 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BigEdInVancouver
Ugh...
I just booked 4 award tickets with Aeroplan via their phone reservation
system--they charged me $100 for this because I didn't use the on-line booking system. I explained to the nice people on the phone that I couldn't use the on-line system because I was booking a stopover stay, which is completely allowed. It wasn't fair that they charge me when their own website is not competent.

"Sorry, nothing we can do", they say. "and it's no use complaining because I cannot transfer you to a supervisor and, besides, they will never refund this fee." One gal went on to tell me that it is normal for each airline to charge their customers for booking an award ticket by phone. (Not at all true, AFAIK.) She took my number and told me that someone from the "Lead" department would get back to me in a week (!)

So, HELP! Who can I call or write to correct this? Does anyone at Aeroplan care about the way they treat their FFs?

Well BigEdinVancouver , you are dealing with Aeroplan and not a customer service minded company. It would make sense to charge for bookings that cannot be done over the net (open jaws, stopovers, and until recently instand KKs for SEs) but its a money grab for the excellent IT services provided (like making public my home address, phone number etc in the IT glitch ).

But do what I was doing. For every $25 fee, I would email Rupert's EA and the director of customer loyalty with the PNR I cancelled because of being charged $25 for a booking I could not do over the net.

There were two bookings that come to mind I cancelled. For $25 in revenue, I cancelled my paid J class to CPH for a two-day trip which meant a loss of $8k. And for another $25 charge, I canceled four of us traveling from LHR to LAX, in J class via AC, for a board meeting -- loss of revenue of $43k. Oh well...Aeroplan/AC must know what they are doing.

For the record, no one replied to my emails.

Cheers
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
sing along

Keep sending those emails...... I am doing the same.... unfortunatly with NO response...
I sent one to RM with 80K of flights and asked if they missed my business.... I guess they don't.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by why fly
sing along

Keep sending those emails...... I am doing the same.... unfortunatly with NO response...
I sent one to RM with 80K of flights and asked if they missed my business.... I guess they don't.
why fly , they first have to be awake to notice!!

But I have not sent an email since October. I have not been revenue on AC since early October.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.