Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbus 380

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 7E7
I think YEG can handle the 380 after all we regularly get AN-225 so weight is not an issue, so all that would need to be done is to construct a gate, which should not be a problem with all the space.
The only thing missing would be the load factor...but after all...it's such a small detail...
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airports scramble to prepare for arrival of A380

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...?query=airbus+
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Super Larry
The only thing missing would be the load factor...but after all...it's such a small detail...
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Super Larry
Of course, AC could operate one flight a day in each direction between YEG and YYC to take Edmontonians to/from connections to onward non-stops ex-YYC.

Wonder if any of the Japanese airlines will consider running these things on their domestic routes? Both have flown 747s between Tokyo and Osaka because of heavy loads.

But seeing all the mock-ups of interiors takes me back to the launches of the 747, DC10 and L1011 which also promised us dining rooms, dance halls and lots of space to enjoy our flights in. How long such spaces are offered on the A380 before the reality of operating economics catches up makes for wonderous speculation.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Watching the France 2 evening newscast on TV5; lead story, with almost 15 minutes of coverage, was the ceremony at TLS-Blagnac today with the European heads of state/government for the unveiling of the A380.

Very interesting with a side story from the Wales factory where the wings are made.

Tomorrow some 5000 workers from the project have their own unveiling ceremony.

Big plane.....
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Wonder if any of the Japanese airlines will consider running these things on their domestic routes? Both have flown 747s between Tokyo and Osaka because of heavy loads.
2 of the busiest air routes in the world are between HND/FUK , HND/Sapporo. They presently fly between 40-50 flights a day between these cities using high density aircraft. The domestic 747 holds over 550 people they also get close to 300 on a 763 ! That being said neither NH or JL has ordered the A380 , with NH moving to an all Boeing fleet!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:38 pm

looks like YYZ may see this puppie too:

"Toronto's Pearson International Airport is one of the fortunate ones, since it took the A380 into account when it designed its new Terminal 1, which opened last April, so Canada's largest airport is ready to accept the larger aircraft.....Pier C at Pearson's Terminal 3 will be able to handle the A380, as will the new international Pier F at Terminal 1 to be completed in 2007."
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doesun

"as will the new international Pier F at Terminal 1 to be completed in 2007."
That's assuming they finish building by then. But we all know what YYZ's track record is like...

But don't forget, just because the facilities exist, it doesn't necessarily mean that airlines will fly the Palace to YYZ given all the landing fees...
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:49 am
At Large

I wonder if the AC team was there for the roll out and if they signed up to buy any. If AF comes into YUL with one daily AC would certainly have to consider having them as well.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:53 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Is YYZ experiencing delays? I thought they are pretty much on time at the moment.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by doesun

"Toronto's Pearson International Airport is one of the fortunate ones, since it took the A380 into account when it designed its new Terminal 1, which opened last April, so Canada's largest airport is ready to accept the larger aircraft.....Pier C at Pearson's Terminal 3 will be able to handle the A380, as will the new international Pier F at Terminal 1 to be completed in 2007."
Assuming that 550 French people wants to Toronto everyday and that 550 Torontonians want to go to France everyday!
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:18 am
At Large

Originally Posted by Scott218
Is YYZ experiencing delays? I thought they are pretty much on time at the moment.

Yes, they are on time, blissfully filling Contractors pockets, and looking for more ways to spend public money. The management of that place is a sham and a front for the Construction industry to milk the public, the airlines and the service industry.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by parnel
I wonder if the AC team was there for the roll out and if they signed up to buy any. If AF comes into YUL with one daily AC would certainly have to consider having them as well.
I do hope that AC adheres to the business plan and doesn't get caught up in a "one-upmanship" tussle with AF. A sort of corporate "mine is as big as yours"

Surely there are other ways to compete with AF on the YUL-CDG route without having to match aircraft for aircraft. With renovated wide body interiors, innovative customer service, competitive pricing, AC can compete with AF.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airbus320
A sort of corporate "mine is as big as yours"
Sounds like a Virgin slogan. (Actually, isn't theirs, "mine is bigger than yours"?)

Originally Posted by airbus320
Surely there are other ways to compete with AF on the YUL-CDG route without having to match aircraft for aircraft. With renovated wide body interiors, innovative customer service, competitive pricing, AC can compete with AF.
All that and smaller aircraft but more frequency.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:06 am

Safest, biggest, largest, luxurious...those are all words we've heard before...way before..in 1912...the Titanic! Let's hope nothing happens on the AB380 on it's first journey across the pond!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.