Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC National Story on AP Points After AC Fails

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC National Story on AP Points After AC Fails

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Everyone should assume that no AC = no Aeroplan = no flights. Simple really.
You are absolutely and completely correct.

Why should any airline (especially those in *, many of which are not exactly doing so well financially), want the extra liability of AP miles without having first reaped the income associated with these benefits?

Furthermore, imagine the complaints from, say, LH M&M members if AP SE,E or even P were instantly comped to similar M&M status. I mean, you guys are freaking out (with a good deal of justification) because non-AP status travellers have access to your perks, so how can you possibly believe that UA or LH will act "charitably" towards a potentially massive influx of former AP members? If AC goes, everyone will start at the bottom of the ladder, with possibly selected exceptions (v.g. you were already member of another program).

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's delusional to assume that there will be anything significant left. Sure, banks will salvage or organize something so as to avoid antagonizing their better customers and prevent brand erosion, but it's likely to be limited.

Whatever the outcome, AP is AC frequent flyer program, and so, if AC fails and AP becomes a toaster-buying program, it will have lost its core function and will remain AP only in name.

I just don't see any precedent to failure of an airline but survival of its FF program. Maybe some knows the details of what happened to Ansett?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CIBC CEO speaks out on Aerogold points...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A676318F7
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E
Not impressed with CIBC...

I've read all the news coverage of the "announcement" by CIBC about protecting Aerogold members, and I must say that I was underwhelmed. No specific promises of any kind - more like "trust us, we'll take care of you". Not very reassuring, IMHO. At best it sounds like Aerogold card holders are likely to get some kind of credit in an Aventura-type card for some of the miles accumulated on Aerogold over some period of time.

How much longer can Amex wait before saying something to reassure card holders? I'm just getting backto using Amex as a result of their deal with AC and all of a sudden it's another CP saga.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.