Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC upgrade certs on UA metal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:41 am
Original Poster

AC upgrade certs on UA metal?

OK, this has probably been discussed before, but at this time the search function is not working (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310537) so please cut me some slack

Talking to AC staff (both call center and a concierge at YYZ), I have been advised that UA accepts AC upgrade certs, although strictly on a stand-by basis at the gate .

Mentioning this to UA staff at ORD and MSP, I get blank stares and/or clear denials.

Which one is it? Can I use the certs? If so, can anybody point me to a rule that I can quote to UA staff, which they in turn could look up on their system? And, yes, I will be posting a similar query on UA forum...
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
One word NO!!!!!
Oh sure, you were just waiting, fingers suspended over the keyboard, to ruin my day in two minutes flat! ;-)

BTW, if the answer is indeed "NO!!!!!", can you think of any reason that may have prompted some AC people to think otherwise? Is there something coming up in the near future, or were they confusing this with a different situation?
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:43 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
One word NO!!!!!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:57 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I don't why anyone at AC advised that they could be used on UA.
AC upgrade are very restrictive. They can only be used by members with Status.Last year,my SE qualifying miles,50% were flown on UA,I tried the AC Upgrades,always NO!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:09 am
Original Poster

OT: This is neat. Replies are being posted out of sequence. Ha!

BTW, I do have status, so that is not a problem. Both AC employees I talked to mentioned that this ability to do stand-by upgrades is part of (new?) Star Alliance rules.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:17 am

It's not the norm unless the rules have changed. Having siad this, I have used my SE Certs to UG at the RCC a couple of years back. I suppose it all depends on the RCC agent, but if the rules are changing I am happy about it.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Wow, I'd love to use my 500 mile upgrade certs from United to upgrade myself on AC, but always the answer is "no" do not pass go, do not collect $200! I can't use them fast enough on UA before they expire!

One can always dream....
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:03 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by blue2002
BTW, I do have status, so that is not a problem. Both AC employees I talked to mentioned that this ability to do stand-by upgrades is part of (new?) Star Alliance rules.
Two reasons why they said that:

They are most likely thinking about the new Star Alliance upgrade certs given to UK *S/*G members. They permit upgrades from H or higher on most *A carriers on a standby basis.

They got confused and should have said that if you're booked on a UA codeshare flight operated by AC, then you could upgrade on a standby basis provided that your fare is equivalent using AC certs. (Since this can't be done in advance)
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:14 am

Question

Anyone know what the AC equivalent of an UA H-fare is??
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe UA H = AC H actually.

In general,

UA: Y/B/M/H/Q/V/W...
AC: Y/M/B/H/V/Q/L...

I stand to be corrected though.

Last edited by YOWkid; Jun 6, 2004 at 1:51 pm
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by YOWkid

In general,

UA: F/A/C/D/Y/B/M/H/Q/V/W/S/T
AC: J/C/Y/M/B/H/V/Q/L/N
Say huh?? What = what?

The funny thing is, when I started using Certs, I was advised of the same thing by some people at AC. And these were on strictly UA metal -- but AC codeshare. Odd why some have that impression. It would be very cool if the rules did one day change.

Simon
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:19 pm

UA H does not = AC H. It's very city pair dependent. On some, UA H = AC G YYZ/LAX, on others, UA H = AC U YVR/SFO, then UA H = AC I on YYZ/ORD. Since UA has been matching AC's new fares with things like UBIZ/EBIZ, it's all a mess now.

Is there a specific city pair you're looking for?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Empress,

This being the case, if one is on an AC metal / UA ticketed flight and approach them with an upgrade, how to know if you're asking for a valid upgrade or not? Or, conversely, if they're being lazy/don't know the correct answer?

Simon
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:37 pm

They just can't and won't have the time to check because it's now different for each city pair... so they will either say 'You can't upgrade because you're ticketed with UA' or 'Even though you're not supposed to get an upgrade, I'll let you have it this time.' !!!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Empress, by any chance, do you have the UA/AC fare class mapper almost done?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.