Wiki Posts
Search

COS bonus using Special & SWU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, AA
COS bonus using Special & SWU

On YYZ-MUC on H fare on AC is there any COS bonus when using the Special SWU or the SWU certs?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:37 pm

Sorry. You only get the bonus on North American flights for using SWU/SSWUs
Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:47 pm

What do I do when the bonus is missing ?

On a recent flight from YVR to YOW, upgraded to J with a SE U/G (Feb 27). I received only the 50% mileage - called SE Desk and was told that the bonus was not applicable.

Any suggestions ?

Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYA361:

On a recent flight from YVR to YOW, upgraded to J with a SE U/G (Feb 27). I received only the 50% mileage - called SE Desk and was told that the bonus was not applicable.

</font>
That's odd. I have had to phone them on a number of occasions. The one thing they want to check is that it was indeed a coupon-based upgrade and not just an operational upgrade. But in the end, they always credited my account.

Mind you, last time was in December, not this year. Still, I suspect you hit an agent who was unaware of the rule. Just try again.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:41 pm

YYA361-- if they took your coupon in exchange for an UG--they HAVE to give you the COS bonus and full miles--thems the rules!!. Call, write, whatever but get it--it's yours!!
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:43 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The reality is that they can't see whehter the upgrade was a INVOL one or CERT one if it was processed at the gate (unless the agent noted the PNR that it was a INVOL U/G which rarely happens or write it on your BP).

A easy way to get the agent to understand what you're talking about is:

You: "What booking class is upgrades booked in?"
Agent: "C class"
You: "How many miles do you earn for domestic/transborder C class?"
Agent: "100% + 25% class of service bonus"
You: "There you go."

YYA361, just call back and get a different agent or write in via the S/E email address and it'll be fixed up.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYA361:

Any suggestions ?

</font>

I had the exact same problem as you (end of February, used upgrade for yvr yyz) but all I did was call in to the SE desk and the agent had it fixed within a business day. Since you got an agent who didn't know the rules, you could just try phoning in again and you'll most likely get an agent who DOES know the rules...
Old Mar 20, 2004, 9:18 pm

Thanks everyone. I will call tomorrow and post my results.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Empress:
[B]The reality is that they can't see whehter the upgrade was a INVOL one or CERT one if it was processed at the gate (unless the agent noted the PNR that it was a INVOL U/G which rarely happens or write it on your BP).

Do you have a listing anywhere that defines the terminology of airline talk,and what it means?I am very interested in following the discussions,yet there are some combinations I am not familiar with.
i.e. INVOL U/G (under what circumstances does this happen?)
I did do a search,am looking for a condensed version.Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2004, 12:56 pm
exAC

INVOL U/G is the actual term used when the airline upgrades someone for operational reasons.

The term Op U/G is used by people on FT, but amounts to the same thing.

Old Mar 21, 2004, 2:08 pm

Thanks for your help everyone. I called the SE desk and spoke with a very nice lady who corrected the mileage problem.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks,exAC
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Doesn't seem much you can do at the gate to fix this either. I knew this was about to happen (no confirmed upgrade in advance) so checked the upgraded boarding pass and sure enough ML*1 appeared. I indicated to the gate agents that it should say ML*2. Both looked at me with blank stares when I said my miles won't credit properly. I told them that I would get the SE desk to fix it.

Anyway, phoned the SE desk today and they are working on it. She assured me that she will fix it and the extra 1312 points for YYZ-YYC will post properly in a couple of days. Minor hassle but good outcome.

It's just a bit frustrating knowing there is a problem and nothing can be done to prevent it (other than getting a confirmed upgrade in advance).
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:22 am

I just wanted to clarify here -on NA flights, if upgraded using a cert (even at the gate) one gets 100% miles +25% COS bonus? Even last year? I have never gotten the 100% miles and bonus for gate upgrades and last year I was getting a lot of upgrades on my YYZ-YVR run; all at the gate. I have kept my boarding cards though....
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:58 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I indicated to the gate agents that it should say ML*2.
They've fixed that so ML*2 won't do much to help (unless you were confirmed in C already on the original flight). Too many people have been getting extra miles when they got a comp UG and loaded in as ML*2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.