Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Gate Gourmet strike at YYZ (impact on AC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Gourmet strike at YYZ (impact on AC)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by vernonc
While not impossible, it will be very difficult maybe even impossible to do, given that their major hubs in YYZ and YVR are impacted.
I believe that YVR is no longer impacted by job action.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by songsc
How many people actually depend on airplane food? Not considering price, pretty much every airport restaurant is better than Y or even J meal on AC and many other airlines. I really don't see the strike would have much impact on most passengers.
"Depend" is a bit of a loaded word. Rare I have any flights over 4 hours, and if I'm in J its on an upgrade (suggesting I'd be fine with whatever is in the back). I personally have not spent more than $50 in an airport in 7 years, fully expecting lounge on the ground, and at least a drink and snack aboard.

I'd neither wither away to nothing, or miss a mortgage payment having to choose to buy food like a peasant or go without.

But I might steal more cookies and cans of pop.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:22 am

Potential for no catering at all

We've been sitting on the ground for the past 20 minutes as the crew is "desperate" to get any form of catering for the flight.

This is a 5 hour domestic flight. We've been warned that we might leave with absolutely nothing (not sure if this includes water??).

Glad I filled up on snacks to go at the AC cafe!!
I definitely recommend making sure your water and snacks are packed...
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Ughh. In YYZ now. Flight delayed for 2 hours and counting for intl flight. Something about loading trucks with food going from one plane to the next.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am sure many flights will get nothing but maybe water. AC can barely deal with meals in a standard IRROPS - now all flights are IRROPS. Won’t be pretty. Hope YVR is not impacted for my J flight to OGG on Thursday…..
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Seems to me that anyone flying soon with a layover should have a very good buffer time for the layover.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by songsc
How many people actually depend on airplane food? Not considering price, pretty much every airport restaurant is better than Y or even J meal on AC and many other airlines. I really don't see the strike would have much impact on most passengers.
Well if you are on a 12 hour flight you want a meal at some point no matter how much you can eat at the airport. Water and drinks also are important.
m.y, wrp96, canadiancow and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by RangerNS
"Depend" is a bit of a loaded word. Rare I have any flights over 4 hours, and if I'm in J its on an upgrade (suggesting I'd be fine with whatever is in the back). I personally have not spent more than $50 in an airport in 7 years, fully expecting lounge on the ground, and at least a drink and snack aboard.

I'd neither wither away to nothing, or miss a mortgage payment having to choose to buy food like a peasant or go without.

But I might steal more cookies and cans of pop.
My point is, airport food price isn't that significant comparing to ticket cost. Let it be $20 comparing to a $300 basic TCON ticket (which provides no food anyway), or $100 for a $3000 J ticket. The only time I "depended" on airplane food, I had a short connection and I was rushing between flights.

Originally Posted by mapleg
Well if you are on a 12 hour flight you want a meal at some point no matter how much you can eat at the airport. Water and drinks also are important.
You can buy some take out. It won't be warm, but a box of sushi or a sandwich from Subway probably is as good as second meal on most AC flights in J, and definitely better than Y. My understanding is water will be provided. If not, I hope the air side vending machines are well stocked.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:26 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
In a statement to CP24, the airline said it expects “no impact” on international flights but some adjustments will be made to food and beverage service on certain North American flights departing from Toronto
Good to know for those of us going INTL soon.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:34 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Maybe AC will need to start handing out meal vouchers pre-flight. At least that way people can consume/bring their own food and water, which they are effectively paying for anyway in the ticket price.
Preo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Just order a bunch of Dominos pizza, Popeye's etc, keep it warm in the oven on board, and frankly I'll probably be happier than the meal options anyway. (truth be told, myself and the Mrs often do bring our own something picked up in the terminal rather than have what's offered in J)
The airline can just do what Speedbird did on a flight to Heathrow from the Turks & Caicos (via Bermuda). Apparently refrigeration failed and meals onboard were no longer safe to serve. So the airline sent out for buckets of KFC chicken.

The resulting publicity was mixed for the airline but prompted a lot of humour on both sides.

https://news.sky.com/story/british-a...ng-it-12928866
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Maybe AC will need to start handing out meal vouchers pre-flight. At least that way people can consume/bring their own food and water, which they are effectively paying for anyway in the ticket price.
$10 won't get you much at Pearson.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:19 am

Interesting - I just read in the Globe that WS is doing just that for its premium seating and TA passengers. Hopefully AC picks up on that.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: AC E50K
Very curious to hear anecdotes about the actual outcome for service in J on TCON flights. I've read the AC statement, but as usual am skeptical until some anec-data starts flowing in. Flying YYZ-LAX Thursday.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I was scheduled to fly YYZ-YYC in Signature today. MLL gates rejected my BP, so I saw an agent. It prompted her that there was a meal voucher on my file. The person travelling with me, who was connecting to a domestic rouge flight and didn't get one. I asked what the voucher was for, out of curiosity, and they said it must be because my flight was delayed. Which it wasn't. And my companion's was (although only by 15 minutes).

My hypothesis, based on this singular data point, is that AC is handing out meal vouchers for those in Signature due to the catering issue. The other bit of colour is that I received a meal voucher for a delayed flight a few days ago and the reason is listed as "customer service", while today's is "mass meal voucher". I'm curious whether anyone else has gotten a voucher in the same circumstances.

I believe that YVR is no longer impacted by job action.
It never was. There was a strike vote, but it was all settled before any job action.
Bohemian1 and TravellingChris like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.