Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrier charge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Carrier charge

Hi! I just bought 3 return tickets to Paris 2 weeeks ago and at that time the carrier charge was $700 per head. When I check again today, the carrier charge for the same flights is $450. Is there a way that I can get a refund of the difference? Also, why is carrier charge changing for the same flights?

Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:04 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by andrew148
Hi! I just bought 3 return tickets to Paris 2 weeeks ago and at that time the carrier charge was $700 per head. When I check again today, the carrier charge for the same flights is $450. Is there a way that I can get a refund of the difference? Also, why is carrier charge changing for the same flights?
"Carrier surcharge" is just a deceptive way that airlines split out what they charge so as to (i) disadvantage customers with discount codes or credits that only apply to base fares, (ii) reduce the commissions they pay to travel agents that get paid on base fare, and (c) improve their rankings in certain searches that sort by base fare rather than total price. They're totally discretionary, just like base fares, so they can be whatever the airline wants at any time.

So no, you can't get a refund just because the price dropped after you purchased.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
This likely ties in to the current AC "sale" to Europe, so I guess they reduced the misleadingly labelled carrier surcharge to get to the price they wanted for the tickets since otherwise they'd need to make the fare negative.
vernonc likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:10 am

If OP was on a refundable fare, they could cancel and rebook if a price drop occurs... of course they booked basic so no changes or cancellations are available.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zappy312
If OP was on a refundable fare, they could cancel and rebook if a price drop occurs... of course they booked basic so no changes or cancellations are available.
One more example of why we need a FT AC browser plugin that blocks basic tickets from being shown as a booking option!
Old Feb 28, 2024, 11:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by expert7700
One more example of why we need a FT AC browser plugin that blocks basic tickets from being shown as a booking option!
There are those on this very forum who would suggest that J and below should be filtered out for true FTers.
canadiancow, arf04 and m.y like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
There are those on this very forum who would suggest that J and below should be filtered out for true FTers.
Nah, just any cabin below the highest. This is the AC forum, after all.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.