Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[INPUT REQUESTED] Concierge threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

At the moment, the AC forum has three main threads about the concierge service:
It has been suggested to me by various FTers that:
  • There's a lot of out of date content in these threads (started in 2011, 2002, and 2018, respectively) - concierges who are no longer around, stations that no longer have concierge service (or AC no longer flies to), shifts in the purpose of the service (they can barely help with flights now, let alone all the other functions they used to sometimes do like restaurants and show tickets)
  • The lines are often blurred - a "thanks, concierge" story becomes a "no thanks" story when it turns out they bungled it. Or vice versa when one concierge fixes another's mysteries. And both often end up in the thread about what they can and can't do

While a number of people have made comments privately, I would appreciate some broader feedback, so please share your thoughts in this thread.

My thoughts in the spoiler tag below so people can have time to formulate their own opinion before seeing mine.
Spoiler

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 27, 2024 at 12:36 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
A new thread with a Wiki.
Wiki have various sections for:
Locations
Concierge names at each station (if appropriate to share)
Tasks experienced (GF’s keys, paint ball gun etc)
Tasks expected

The wiki will help people manage expectations

Having been directed to wikis by you a few times, accurate and relevant wikis are an FTers best friend.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I think a new, consolidated thread, with most of the pre-COVID stuff pruned out could work. A comprehensive Wiki, with some examples of who gets access, where the concierges are located (our list with a link to the official AC page?) and other factual information.

People could then layer on recent experiences and questions for stuff not in the Wiki. If we notice the same question coming up, we can tweak the wiki accordingly.

Not sure what to do vis a vis the Thanks /No Thanks threads, but they are just more experiences anyway, so it might be good just to capture those in the new thread too.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Agree with one thread for all things concierge and comprehensive wiki when time allows for the author!
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cavitron
Agree with one thread for all things concierge and comprehensive wiki when time allows for the author!
Wikis can be edited by anyone with 90 posts and 90 days on FT. I don't intend to write this wiki, and hope that people like you, @Bohemian1, and @taupo might contribute!
cavitron, Bohemian1 and taupo like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Wikis can be edited by anyone with 90 posts and 90 days on FT.
I think I saw a reference somewhere to it being 180/180 now. (I have 90/90 and can't edit yet.)
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
An "All Things Concierge Since 2024(RRSP season) On" is due.

(Or will be in a couple of days)
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
What a concierge can do has changed quite a bit since covid. In-station concierge have had their wings clipped.

would be useful info for a wiki
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:50 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Agreed with all points - new thread with a wiki would be very helpful.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I'm in favour with one thread and a wiki.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Good idea adamsmith (and the other FTers who suggested this).

I agree a wiki would be good here.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Great idea

Great idea for both thread and Wiki.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I agree with the consensus.

Every example of "thanks concierge" is also an example of what the concierge can do.

I know I've posted experiences in both (either as examples of what they can do, or as thanks) depending on whatever pops into my head first.

I don't think it makes sense to have threads where there's always two valid places to post something.
vancouver25k and folkart like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE
I think one consolidated thread based on 2024 info forwards, with a good wiki sounds like a great idea. My concierge interactions yesterday could currently go into:

No thanks: "would you like to use your eUp's on this flight, even though you haven't applied for an upgrade, you'd definitely be successful"
Thanks: found me to give me a new boarding card with an op-up because the back was full with a long standby list, and there was space in the front - see above
What do they do: walked me though an overcrowded boarding area to bypass the crowd (lines would be an overstatement) directly to the boarding pass scanner
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yeg2where
I think one consolidated thread based on 2024 info forwards, with a good wiki sounds like a great idea. My concierge interactions yesterday could currently go into:

No thanks: "would you like to use your eUp's on this flight, even though you haven't applied for an upgrade, you'd definitely be successful"
Thanks: found me to give me a new boarding card with an op-up because the back was full with a long standby list, and there was space in the front - see above
What do they do: walked me though an overcrowded boarding area to bypass the crowd (lines would be an overstatement) directly to the boarding pass scanner
I don't think that quite fits in the spirit of the "no thanks" thread , but it's a good example of one encounter fitting in multiple threads.
yyznomad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.