Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Check your carry-on bag for free! - Offered during Check-in flow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat

Today I was explicitly offered free checked carry-on bag after I chose to check zero bags during the online check-in process, at around T-22h. Ticketed in full J, as an SE. Flight is J0 Y9, A321 fin

Not sure if this offer is new, but I've never triggered it before, despite being on 100% full flights with same status. This is great news for all if it entices would-be economizers to reduce the pressure on cabin space. Suffice it to say, I personally did not participate in this amazing offer.

Nitehawk, YOWgary, willoL and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
You have free checked bags as an SE, so there is no potential lost revenue here...wonder if the same offer is extended to lower tiers/non-status that don't have free checked bags.

Also don't understand why the don't optimize the revenue opportunity with over-size carry-on's. Based on a lot of flights I've seen, the ROI would HUGE to have an employee with a POS machine and a Bag Tag printer standing at the sizer. I'd happily set up a Company and staff it for 20% of the take.
The Lev likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by billdokes
You have free checked bags as an SE, so there is no potential lost revenue here...wonder if the same offer is extended to lower tiers/non-status that don't have free checked bags.

Also don't understand why the don't optimize the revenue opportunity with over-size carry-on's. Based on a lot of flights I've seen, the ROI would HUGE to have an employee with a POS machine and a Bag Tag printer standing at the sizer. I'd happily set up a Company and staff it for 20% of the take.
My guess is that is the plan. When you come to the baggage drop off with your "carry-on", they will size and weigh it. If it does not comply, they will force you to send it as baggage AND charge for same.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by billdokes

I think you just described my dream retirement gig...steady revenue stream plus the joy of telling people no, with zero repercussions or F's given on my part. I would put in a contract term though that I get to install a buzzer, and possibly some sort of electro shock unit on the sizer. You move the sizer too much trying to shove your oversized bag in there....Zap! At the very least, you get the Price is Right loser chime played.

I would also love to explain to people exactly what 2 pieces of carry-on means. It seems like such an easy concept that no one can comprehend. How many hands do you have? Is there more than 1 item in any of those hands?

billdokes...when you get this up and running, let's discuss west coast franchise rights. Does 5% of my 20% sound appealing?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Until AC addresses the delays in baggage handling this will not garner much interest. People use carry on because it reduces the delay in exiting the airport.
N8M, pilot007, billdokes and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Until AC addresses the delays in baggage handling this will not garner much interest. People use carry on because it reduces the delay in exiting the airport.
Not just the delay in getting out of the airport. I'm using carry-on because I worry my checked bag may not arrive with me at all!
N8M, meepmix and Transpacificflyer like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That may be true for seasoned travelers.

I know a lot of people who use carry-on because they don't want to pay $30.

Showing this screen to someone with status is likely pointless. But someone on a TG fare who's only carrying on because of the checked bag fee? They might get a few people to do it at check-in rather than the gate, which will help speed up boarding, etc.
meepmix, Wigg, canopus27 and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:10 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I would use it on my way home. No chance I'm using it on my way someplace. Why bother dragging the thing through the airport if you're not going to need anything immediately at the other end?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:20 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I've been advocating: charge for carry-on and keep checked bags free no charge for years. Maybe they're finally listening to me?

(Yes, I know I am in the tiny minority who wants carry-on banned, but a boy can dream, right?)
webvictim and willoL like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUsedToBeFun
My guess is that is the plan. When you come to the baggage drop off with your "carry-on", they will size and weigh it. If it does not comply, they will force you to send it as baggage AND charge for same.
(bolding mine)

AC quite sensibly does not have weight limit on carry-on, just size (whether it is enforced or not). I'm looking at an Agean flight that has an 8kg limit. That's nothing! I go on multi-hour runs with more weight than that in my pack!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
(bolding mine)

AC quite sensibly does not have weight limit on carry-on, just size (whether it is enforced or not). I'm looking at an Agean flight that has an 8kg limit. That's nothing! I go on multi-hour runs with more weight than that in my pack!
Was on a flight AZS-YUL a few moons back. Passenger boarded with 2 suitcases full of what appeared to be university textbooks. She was not able to lift them into overhead bins by herself and FA needed to help (a 2 person job). Overhead bin door flew open on take-off. Passengers were lucky one of those bags didn't fall on someone (as has happened to me twice).

Flying paid J on NZ and they weighed my laptop bag before boarding. Was called up to the check-in desk to do so at YVR as I came in from a connecting flight.

Which option is safer for weight and balance?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Was on a flight AZS-YUL a few moons back. Passenger boarded with 2 suitcases full of what appeared to be university textbooks. She was not able to lift them into overhead bins by herself and FA needed to help (a 2 person job). Overhead bin door flew open on take-off. Passengers were lucky one of those bags didn't fall on someone (as has happened to me twice).

Flying paid J on NZ and they weighed my laptop bag before boarding. Was called up to the check-in desk to do so at YVR as I came in from a connecting flight.

Carry-on limits aren't there for W&B, they're there for limits on the capacity of the bins and the latches that keen them closed.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
I've seen almost empty overhead bins that weren't closed properly or had something caught pop open on takeoff. Surely there is some sort of test of what is an appropriate weight when planes are certified!

Weight and balance? I am not quite sure what you mean. There is no way that even a bag of textbooks in the overhead affects the balance of a narrowbody more than a random big guy passenger.

I've also had ridiculous weight limits on paid J flights, but I have never felt safer because I had to check my laptop instead of putting it in front of my seat.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Carry-on limits aren't there for W&B, they're there for limits on the capacity of the bins and the latches that keen them closed.
My understanding is that the FAA estimates average weights as:
  • Male: 190 pounds in the summer and 195 pounds in the winter.
  • Female: 179 pounds in the summer and 184 pounds in the winter.
This includes carry-on bags.. I'm above that average buck naked after my morning movement.

Say we take an A320 with 146 seats and every passenger has a carry on weighing 12kg. Assuming only 1 carry-on and not a 'personal item on top of that. That's nearly 4,000 lbs above the centre of gravity and the centre mass. I for one would not want to fly on an airplane like that

Perhaps this should be considered before we see another Midwest 5481... ???

Carry-on should be banned, in my opinion. But again... I know I am in the tiny minority on this point.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
15 or so years ago I would board a plane last and find plenty of room for my bag, regardless of fare class.

But then legacy airlines decided to optimise the monetisation of checked luggage. As with all grand plans come unintended consequences. The result of charging for checked luggage? The boarding disaster we all experience today.

Adding to that disaster is the degraded perception over time that your bag will arrive with you. And frankly it’s a fair view. Of the four or five times in my life that I’ve checked a bag, it’s only arrived at my destination with me twice. (Yes. I know… n=1)

All of this is to say that Air Canada et al have fundamentally changed the travelling public’s perceptions about checked luggage. It’s no longer just a cost: it’s a risk. A risk they want you to pay for.

It will take far more than some random carrots tossed at the check in kiosk to realign the travelling public’s way of thinking.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Last edited by Norcanair; Feb 23, 2024 at 5:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.