Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Expands Regional Services with Luxury Motorcoach Land-Air Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Expands Regional Services with Luxury Motorcoach Land-Air Connections

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
They had to drop the land segment from my booking. One direction kept falling off every couple of days. I was going to Toronto anyway, so I asked, and they agreed to make YYZ my endpoint rather than YHM. The issue seems to be that both are counted as "Toronto" and the system kept flagging them as duplicate segments. Hopefully they can fix it before it causes too many issues.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
I'll give them credit for the novel concept and I hope it works out for AC + the PAX in those areas. They should probably start the same offering from YOW to YUL given all the complaining on here from our YOW based community members.

That said, based on the schedules posted, this looks like a good proposition if you have nothing to do and all day to do it, but if your time is valuable to you there are much more efficient and reliable (albeit more expensive, but that's kinda how that works) to make the transit to YYZ.

Also wonder why they aren't doing the same from the East end of the GTA (Bowmanville, Oshawa, etc), as there is likely similar demand and the service could be far more predictable/timely given the easy access to Hwy 407.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:09 pm

It’s actually kind of strange that they picked airports to do this from. I don’t actually know the benefit of using YKW instead of a more convenient location. Is it ticketing/luggage services? Those don’t really exist for AC at Waterloo and I can’t imagine it’s that hard to set up. Even something like Fairview Mall where people could take transit and still have ample parking seems like it would make more sense.

Maybe there is hope that one day the bus can be secured and drop off in Toronto can be after security?

Anyway, I could see myself using the bus to the airport because YKW is very convenient to me and I could pick a flight that works well. But I wouldn’t want to rely on it to get home. It’s great that AC will get me on the next bus if my incoming flight is delayed but I’d much rather take care of that myself with a car parked at the airport or even a taxi on demand.
billdokes likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Joeyjo
It’s actually kind of strange that they picked airports to do this from. I don’t actually know the benefit of using YKW instead of a more convenient location. Is it ticketing/luggage services? Those don’t really exist for AC at Waterloo and I can’t imagine it’s that hard to set up. Even something like Fairview Mall where people could take transit and still have ample parking seems like it would make more sense.

Maybe there is hope that one day the bus can be secured and drop off in Toronto can be after security?

Anyway, I could see myself using the bus to the airport because YKW is very convenient to me and I could pick a flight that works well. But I wouldn’t want to rely on it to get home. It’s great that AC will get me on the next bus if my incoming flight is delayed but I’d much rather take care of that myself with a car parked at the airport or even a taxi on demand.
If it's done like with some other airlines, it leaves from an airport gate, and is treated as a "flight." That means no security for your connection, because you already did that, and you arrive/depart airside at the airport.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:17 pm

Drop off is happening before security so you have to do it again when you’re going to a connecting flight. Do you have to go through security before boarding the bus? That seems excessive.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Joeyjo
Drop off is happening before security so you have to do it again when you’re going to a connecting flight. Do you have to go through security before boarding the bus? That seems excessive.
I see you're right. I was hoping it was done like for some other airlines.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:22 pm

I wanted to book this, but the pricing is out to lunch.

Segment 1, going from Victoria to Hamilton in the fall.
Standard fare priced identically whether going to YYZ or continuing to YHM.
However, in Premium, it was an extra $150 to continue to YHM. I'll take the GO bus, thanks.

Leaving Hamilton, it's even worse. I'll be heading to Sault Ste Marie. YHM to YAM = $619. Drop the YHM segment and it's $405 for the same YYZ-YAM flight. Both Standard. $214 for a 50 minute bus ride... Where's the value in that?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by cedric
Leaving Hamilton, it's even worse. I'll be heading to Sault Ste Marie. YHM to YAM = $619. Drop the YHM segment and it's $405 for the same YYZ-YAM flight. Both Standard. $214 for a 50 minute bus ride... Where's the value in that?
I've looked at the prices too and reached the same conclusion. The price is more than what I'd spend on ground transportation services to YYZ that pick me up and drop of off at my door at a time of my choosing instead of going to a regional airport and taking AC's bus from there.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Luxury" motorcoach? I expected "elevated" motorcoach. As in "elevator" I guess...
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
I wanted to book this, but the pricing is out to lunch.

Segment 1, going from Victoria to Hamilton in the fall.
Standard fare priced identically whether going to YYZ or continuing to YHM.
However, in Premium, it was an extra $150 to continue to YHM. I'll take the GO bus, thanks.

I wonder... intentional gouging or "AC IT strikes again"?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by blue2002
Probably Revenue Management haven't figured out how to optimize pricing to YHM yet.
blue2002 and m.y like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
OTOH, looking t these combined train+flight tickets to/from France, I find the train ticket is often free. Book CDG-Canada or Marseile to CDG by train then CDG-Canada, same price at least in J.
blue2002 and Wigg like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:29 pm

Maybe it was an introductory offer, but I paid far less for YWG-YHM than I would have from YWG-YYZ (about 1/3 as much, in fact).
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Innovative?

Not that innovative. UA has been using Amtrak for years.
My question is why limit this to YQM? What about YSJ? YFC?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Not that innovative. UA has been using Amtrak for years.
My question is why limit this to YQM? What about YSJ? YFC?
What does YQM have to do with this service?
blue2002 and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.