Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Expands Regional Services with Luxury Motorcoach Land-Air Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Expands Regional Services with Luxury Motorcoach Land-Air Connections

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Pretty much all the infrastructure needed for Ottawa to YUL is there. One can assume adding a bag drop zone at Ottawa Via station shouldn't be that difficult. There's a shuttle service from Via Dorval to the airport (it's mostly a parking lot for YUL). Problem as always is Via rents rail usage from CN and freight always takes priority so schedules aren't always accurate.
Yeah, you are right. Interestingly AF/KL picked a different mode some years back: https://www.klm.ca/information/ticke...blic-transport
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by blue2002
Oh, we're back to this discussion now. ;-) Yeah, it would be nice, whether with high-frequency, high-speed or both. YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle has been the traditional target of wet dreams on this topic. YYC-YEG would be another good candidate. Unfortunately in order for it to make sense, some pretty extreme infrastructural changes would need to be made. In the YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle YUL is the only airport with reasonable proximity to Via Rail's network. The investment at YYZ alone to bring in a through-traffic intercity rail station (as opposed to the very short end-station for UP Express that is there right now) would be staggering. And without this investment... Landing at YYZ, then taking UP Express to YBZ (that's IATA's code for Toronto Union Station), then walking a kilometre or so to get from UP Express to Via Rail's platforms... strikes me as doable (and I suspect a lot of folks from Kingston, ON do it), but not something that would produce a positive customer experience for a AC passenger.

BTW, yes, I love the way this is done in some places in Europe. FRA and CDG come to mind, but I am sure there are several others.
Given Canada's recent track record on large scale transit infrastructure projects, let it be Eglinton Crosstown, O-Train, the REM, or even the OTP of VIA Rail's Corridor operations, I am not convinced that Canada is currently able to properly execute HSR/HFR on time or on budget. As much as I agree that HSR is a more beneficial form of transport than driving or flying in the Eastern Triangle, I totally understand and agree with the government's approach of keep doing studies to ease the political pressure but not committing anything.

It's much less risky, much less costly, and much faster return on investment (or at least know that it's an unviable business) to subsidize bus companies to provide services between YYZ and the cities in SW Ontario, than counting on the the HSR that I hope don't get built until Canada has regained the expertise of building a functioning LRT line on time and on budget.

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Pretty much all the infrastructure needed for Ottawa to YUL is there. One can assume adding a bag drop zone at Ottawa Via station shouldn't be that difficult. There's a shuttle service from Via Dorval to the airport (it's mostly a parking lot for YUL). Problem as always is Via rents rail usage from CN and freight always takes priority so schedules aren't always accurate.
VIA actually owns the track from Ottawa to Coteau, and freight trains don't have priority over VIA trains. CN dispatches trains to maximize the system efficiency, and whichever train is the most convenient will wait at the siding or wait before the switch. CN has also recently upgraded the track and signal infrastructures along the Corridor at the request of VIA, paid by VIA aka us taxpayers.

The problem is really on VIA. There are way too many historical issues preventing VIA from functioning like a modern business, and this is why I am counting on bus companies to better serve airports.
CT1 likes this.

Last edited by songsc; Feb 22, 2024 at 4:48 pm
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:13 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by blue2002
Yeah, you are right. Interestingly AF/KL picked a different mode some years back: https://www.klm.ca/information/ticke...blic-transport
If the REM in Montreal were expanded the 1000m to the Via Rail station from YUL (not sure if that's in the plans) Ottawa and Quebec City + points between could be serviced quite easily by YUL & VIA.

That would still leave YSC as the largest city in North America without scheduled commercial air service, but I digress.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moderator note: the appropriate venue for a discussion of the future of high-speed rail and integration with air travel in Canada is the Canada forum, where there's an existing thread on this subject. Let's please try to get this back on track to discuss AC's new bus initiative.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:49 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It's all part of AC's continuing quest to become the next generation of Greyhound Air Land
Old Feb 23, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by retiredtraveller
Live in waterloo, it will be interesting to see if i can book bus segment when using a flight pass. Could be worth it if times are reasonable and i don’t have to pay for yyz parking.
Currently YKF isn't an eligible airport for any of the passes. Hopefully they'll add it before too long.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Personally I miss the helicopter service from the Cherry Beach Heliport to YYZ
Old Feb 23, 2024, 1:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Personally I miss the helicopter service from the Cherry Beach Heliport to YYZ
Only did it once, but that was fun!
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by retiredtraveller
Live in waterloo, it will be interesting to see if i can book bus segment when using a flight pass. Could be worth it if times are reasonable and i don’t have to pay for yyz parking.
This is a great idea. Might actually be worth writing in to AC to suggest getting Hamilton and KW added to the city lists in the regional flight passes.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:12 pm

Wow, glad they're doing this. My family lives 20mins from YKF. Seems like prices are the same as flying direct to YYZ for my typical route.
For me to choose this option though, I think it'd really depend on whether the layover time is reasonable. If you have to wait a long time, you might as well go downtown via UP, hang out, then take the Go train or Onexbus/Flixbus to Kitchener. It's a good option if flights are delayed, but when on time, it's a lot of waiting (I wonder if they would care if I didn't end up taking the bus segment to YKF, especially if I only had carry-on luggage).

Checking LGA-YYZ-YKF, departing has less options and you might end up waiting 3-5 hours for a bus. On the route back (YKF-YYZ-LGA), the layover times are only 1.5 hours. Looks like this is because there's only 3-4 buses departing YYZ per day, whereas there are a lot more for arrival.

Additionally, I noticed that you can't use points redemption for routes with the bus connection - not sure if that's expected?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:11 pm

I called into Air Canada to get some more information. Most of this isn't new info but it's helpful to me to have verbal confirmation.
  • It sounds like there are buses leaving Hamilton every day at 5am, 6am, 10;45am, 1:45pm, 3:45pm, and 5:30pm. (Agents have access to the full schedule, just call them)
  • The bus trip times have been tuned to consider typical traffic density at each time of day. (e.g. 55 mins for early morning, 1h15 for rush hour)
  • MCT at Pearson for bus arrival with domestic departure is listed as 1h10.
  • No food or drink is served on board but customers can bring their own food.
  • Pet policy is the same as flights.
  • Need to arrive 30 minutes before bus departure.
  • Yes, there is SQS, SQM and SQD accumulation as well as Aeroplan points.
  • All seats are considered Economy class.
  • Aeroplan redemptions are not available "yet".
  • In case of flight or bus delays, rebookings onto later buses and flights is supported at YYZ.
  • All buses are curb-side, not air-side.
  • Only Terminal 1 is serviced.
  • There are no intermediate stops.
  • Baggage is only transferred when transferring FROM bus TO plane. We have to pick up our bags at a carousel when arriving in Toronto.
  • Service begins May 1st.
Questions I still have:
  • Why am I being charged for seat selection as a Super Elite?
  • Does the 250 SQC minimum apply to bus trips?
  • Can you visit the AC Cafe before transferring to the bus from a flight?
  • Will any of the Ontario flight passes be updated to support these routes?
byker likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warrens
  • It sounds like there are buses leaving Hamilton every day at 5am, 6am, 10;45am, 1:45pm, 3:45pm, and 5:30pm. (Agents have access to the full schedule, just call them)
For the record, they're all in GDS too. You can pull them up in EF or anywhere else. Don't call AC
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For the record, they're all in GDS too. You can pull them up in EF or anywhere else. Don't call AC

If you've got a magic trick for making bus connections appear in Expertflyer, let's hear it. The normal method doesn't work.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No idea what your issue is.

Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by warrens
I called into Air Canada to get some more information. Most of this isn't new info but it's helpful to me to have verbal confirmation.
  • Pet policy is the same as flights.
I think you got this one wrong. You can't bring an AVIH (pet in hold) on the bus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.