Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Expands Regional Services with Luxury Motorcoach Land-Air Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Expands Regional Services with Luxury Motorcoach Land-Air Connections

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:13 pm

Has AC done this before?

I'd really like to see YXU (London). Maybe I have bad luck but YYZ-YXU is often delayed for me and maybe ground will work better.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
I think part of the strategy will be the siphon off people the LCC carriers offered there. They could offer cheaper ticket prices from YKF-YYT to compete with Flair without lowering their YYZ-YYT fares
jamiel, unclepants, m.y and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I like the idea of checking bags at the bus.

Any information if this service offers protection on a later flight in the case of trafic or other delays? That would also be a bonus.
Yes you're protected, just like a flight delay:
"In the event of coach or flight delays, customers travelling on Landline will be automatically offered the same protections as customers travelling on air-only itineraries" https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...890645971.html
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC P(easant)25K
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
Hopefully AC don't get the bright idea to put a bus on between Ottawa and YUL.
The KLM/AF bus has been running between YUL and Ottawa train station for as long as I can remember living in Ottawa... I have never taken it as it belongs to a different eco-system.

However, I have found myself on way too many Dash 8/CRJ hops between YOW-YUL... or driving 2 hrs there by myself.
I don't think it's the most terrible idea, especially if I am flying on my own dime. There are times I couldn't find a seat on the YOW-YUL leg or needing to connecting from a flight that arrives many hours early than my onward connection.

IF (big IF) the High Frequency Rail ever happens and Air Canada partner up with via rail, I would love to have the Air to Rail option like in many European cities.
I would rather spend 1.5-2hrs on the train than flying the CRJ for 35 mins (more like 1 to 1.5 hrs gate to gate).
Cloud Lounger and Aselwyn like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:33 pm

YGK

If they return service to Kingston, the 36 seat motor coaches will nearly double the capacity of the previous Beechcraft 19 seaters.
unclepants, Wings100 and Aselwyn like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75K, Marriott gold, HHonors silver
Originally Posted by Leyland1989
The KLM/AF bus has been running between YUL and Ottawa train station for as long as I can remember living in Ottawa... I have never taken it as it belongs to a different eco-system.

However, I have found myself on way too many Dash 8/CRJ hops between YOW-YUL... or driving 2 hrs there by myself.
I don't think it's the most terrible idea, especially if I am flying on my own dime. There are times I couldn't find a seat on the YOW-YUL leg or needing to connecting from a flight that arrives many hours early than my onward connection.

IF (big IF) the High Frequency Rail ever happens and Air Canada partner up with via rail, I would love to have the Air to Rail option like in many European cities.
I would rather spend 1.5-2hrs on the train than flying the CRJ for 35 mins (more like 1 to 1.5 hrs gate to gate).
I agree. I too often find myself with a 2 to 3 hour wait for the YUL to YOW leg, and that doesn't count delays. I would welcome a bus option, but would hope the destination is the train station and not YOW simply for it being more central than the airport.

The train would also be a great option. I have relatives in Philadelphia and up until a few years ago they could put ZFV as the airport code when booking on United which was actually the Amtrak station in downtown. The booking would then be the flight to/from EWR plus the Amtrak train ride to/from Philadelphia. The cost was essentially similar to flying directly from EWR. I believe this option no longer exists but would be nice if something similar was an option between YOW and YUL.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rrgg
Has AC done this before?

I'd really like to see YXU (London). Maybe I have bad luck but YYZ-YXU is often delayed for me and maybe ground will work better.
I'm a bit on the fence here. A coach service could offer more connecting options than the 3 daily flights we have now. However, clearing security at YYZ is not too appealing. I mean if you don't fly to the USA.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:24 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I don't really understand why they do it at the airport. To be fair, I am not familiar with the airports involved, but wouldn't it be more appealing if they had pickups in the city centre? I mean, even if they want to start from the airport, they could just add a bit of time and have a stop in the centre also? KLM has a couple of bus routes in NL and they stop both at airports and in cities with no airports. But they aren't really meant to be posh the way the Air Canada option seems to be and they are free and do not earn points/miles.
Jumper Jack, rcam and NikinYOW like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by songsc
It’s not clear in the press release, but I suspect AC busses will make intermediate stops along the way.
If the AC bus were to stop at Hamilton's main bus terminal before continuing on to Hamilton Airport, that would add a solid 20 minutes, before considering rush hour traffic, etc.etc.

As for the KW route.... the Waterloo Region airport is "before" Kitchener. so it would make more sense for a trip originating at YYZ to stop at the airport first, then continue on downtown to connect with the ION or whatever.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:15 pm

Can't confirm the numbers but this was sent to me.
Sad if true.

cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by razorblade705
Sad if true.
Then those pilots can drive busses if they wish.

An entry level FO probably makes $60K, while a bus driver with high seniority makes $100K, more with overtime. If anyone wants to be paid more, rack up the seniority, or join an industry that values merits over seniority.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 22, 2024 at 2:59 pm Reason: Remove large quoted image
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:33 pm

Live in waterloo, it will be interesting to see if i can book bus segment when using a flight pass. Could be worth it if times are reasonable and i don’t have to pay for yyz parking.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by razorblade705
Sad if true.
I'm not sure you can measure the difference in the stress of "maybe killing 45 people" vs "maybe killing 150-300 people". Or which job of "memorize and execute 5000 excruciatingly detailed procedures, as required, and with a few seconds to think about it" vs "in constant battle with idiots who might be drunk and last took a test 50 years ago" is harder.

My organized labor PR file is pretty light, but near the top of the list of anyone's file has to be "solidarity". This does not make any sense from a unions perspective.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 22, 2024 at 2:56 pm Reason: Remove large quoted image
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Leyland1989
Oh, we're back to this discussion now. ;-) Yeah, it would be nice, whether with high-frequency, high-speed or both. YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle has been the traditional target of wet dreams on this topic. YYC-YEG would be another good candidate. Unfortunately in order for it to make sense, some pretty extreme infrastructural changes would need to be made. In the YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle YUL is the only airport with reasonable proximity to Via Rail's network. The investment at YYZ alone to bring in a through-traffic intercity rail station (as opposed to the very short end-station for UP Express that is there right now) would be staggering. And without this investment... Landing at YYZ, then taking UP Express to YBZ (that's IATA's code for Toronto Union Station), then walking a kilometre or so to get from UP Express to Via Rail's platforms... strikes me as doable (and I suspect a lot of folks from Kingston, ON do it), but not something that would produce a positive customer experience for a AC passenger.

BTW, yes, I love the way this is done in some places in Europe. FRA and CDG come to mind, but I am sure there are several others.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:15 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by blue2002
Oh, we're back to this discussion now. ;-) Yeah, it would be nice, whether with high-frequency, high-speed or both. YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle has been the traditional target of wet dreams on this topic. YYC-YEG would be another good candidate. Unfortunately in order for it to make sense, some pretty extreme infrastructural changes would need to be made. In the YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle YUL is the only airport with reasonable proximity to Via Rail's network. The investment at YYZ alone to bring in a through-traffic intercity rail station (as opposed to the very short end-station for UP Express that is there right now) would be staggering. And without this investment... Landing at YYZ, then taking UP Express to YBZ (that's IATA's code for Toronto Union Station), then walking a kilometre or so to get from UP Express to Via Rail's platforms... strikes me as doable (and I suspect a lot of folks from Kingston, ON do it), but not something that would produce a positive customer experience for a AC passenger.

BTW, yes, I love the way this is done in some places in Europe. FRA and CDG come to mind, but I am sure there are several others.
Pretty much all the infrastructure needed for Ottawa to YUL is there. One can assume adding a bag drop zone at Ottawa Via station shouldn't be that difficult. There's a shuttle service from Via Dorval to the airport (it's mostly a parking lot for YUL). Problem as always is Via rents rail usage from CN and freight always takes priority so schedules aren't always accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.