Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[RUMOUR] 737s to be sent to rouge, 32xs to be moved from rouge to mainline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k

just heard some more gossip 737 will ALL be sent to Rouge and the existing Rouge planes go back to mailnline. Seriously how does this make any sense, the 319 are ancient why would they be fitted back to Mainline?
Lets hope its gossip.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Porch
just heard some more gossip 737 will ALL be sent to Rouge and the existing Rouge planes go back to mailnline. Seriously how does this make any sense, the 319 are ancient why would they be fitted back to Mainline?
Lets hope its gossip.
I heard that from a Rouge pilot a while back (about the 737s). So it was company gossip at one time too.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Lets hope its gossip.
I would prefer a refurbished cabin a32x over a max, period. I don't care how old the frame is, I care about the passenger comfort.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:23 am

Lets hope its gossip.
If the rumour is true, presumably the A321/A320s would be transferred but the A319s would retire. Rouge's A320s are from 2007 and A321s are 2012-2018.

But honestly, my opinion, just transfer the A321/A320s back to mainline, don't transfer the 737s to Rouge, and kill the Rouge brand.
Joeyjo, kenlor, msat and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AC P(easant)25K
My armchair CEO opinion:

Pros:
Typical Rouge routes to sun destinations are 3-5 hrs long where MAX's fuel saving can become apparent.
Operate a single type vs 3 subtypes in various size can simplify fleet planning though not optimal. (Transat's A332 and A333 had very similar capacity for a long time for this reason)
Rouge can take over many trans-con flying with low premium demand/ high leisure demand at a slightly lower cost.
Rouge can return to the transatlantic leisure market with the MAX

Cons:
The 38M fleet is already flying a lot of trans-con routes which is long enough that the fuel saving is significant and ideal fit for this type. Using the XLR with lie flats seat will not be as economical.
Rouge's cost saving comes from higher density and lower cabin crew cost but the mainline has already caught up to Rouge and retraining the entire Rouge Cabin crew to MAX cost money.
Repainting 80 planes and refitting them also cost a lot of money.
Having one type and one size is suboptimal. (Can't sub in an A319 for an A321 when the demand is high)

Conclusion, it doesn't make any practical sense to make such dramatic shuffle.
They might as well just absorb Rouge back into the mainline. It's not like they haven't been flying mainline routes with the Rouge fleet.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
It would have to be a pretty remarkable cost-benefit analysis to justify repainting 80 aircraft, not to mention whatever contract wrangling would be necessary to move several hundred pilots from mainline to Rouge.

I'd be just as happy to collect all unsubstantiated rumours in a single "AC Spilled Tea" thread and leave them there, before we end up with bloggers breathlessly reporting this as fact.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
... repainting 80 aircraft,
May not have to repaint 80 plane.
The narrowbody fleet was split between mainline and Rouge.

Most of the 737 cabin has been in Rouge configuration since delivery.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
The "fit" doesn't make sense to me.

The 321LRs clearly will be mainline equipment and there are still plenty of other 319/320/321 in mainline with the 321s looking like they are here for a while. So having the rest of your 320 family in the same fleet makes sense for type commonality. Maintaining a single type over at Rouge also makes sense. But that's where the sense ends.

In theory you could do a straight swap of 40 738s for 5 320s, 17 321s and 18 319s. But the real cost lies not in repainting or refitting, but rather in type rating all of the affected pilots, because you can't intermingle employees from different collective agreements. While you could certainly bring all the Rouge pilots into the AC agreement you can't send the mainline pilots to Rouge without tearing up the Rouge collective agreement. (And if you tear up the Rouge pilots' agreement then you no longer have a rationale to keep the brand, which is why getting rid of Rouge is equally a non-starter).
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AC*SE

The 321LRs clearly will be mainline equipment and there are still plenty of other 319/320/321 in mainline with the 321s looking like they are here for a while. So having the rest of your 320 family in the same fleet makes sense for type commonality. Maintaining a single type over at Rouge also makes sense. But that's where the sense ends.

In theory you could do a straight swap of 40 738s for 5 320s, 17 321s and 18 319s. But the real cost lies not in repainting or refitting, but rather in type rating all of the affected pilots, because you can't intermingle employees from different collective agreements. While you could certainly bring all the Rouge pilots into the AC agreement you can't send the mainline pilots to Rouge without tearing up the Rouge collective agreement. (And if you tear up the Rouge pilots' agreement then you no longer have a rationale to keep the brand, which is why getting rid of Rouge is equally a non-starter).
I thought Rouge pilots were just AC pilots and only cabin crews were under a different agreement?

BTW, this topic, together with the cabin change, might point to AC wanting to restart Rouge long haul destinations using Maxes? Replacing the 767s.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Stranger
I thought Rouge pilots were just AC pilots and only cabin crews were under a different agreement?

BTW, this topic, together with the cabin change, might point to AC wanting to restart Rouge long haul destinations using Maxes? Replacing the 767s.
That was my thought exactly - the 7M8 could easily serve many European routes from eastern Canada, making it a good rouge fit in that sense.

I also believe the pilots have been the same for some time, with those with the A3xx type rating able to move between rouge and mainline ops easily.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by tracon
May not have to repaint 80 plane.
The narrowbody fleet was split between mainline and Rouge.

Most of the 737 cabin has been in Rouge configuration since delivery.
Not the outside.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: TK *G
Does AC really need to repaint the exterior before transferring between AC and ACr? Any downside of an aircraft in ACr livery with AC cabin config operating an AC flight?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
Does AC really need to repaint the exterior before transferring between AC and ACr? Any downside of an aircraft in ACr livery with AC cabin config operating an AC flight?
If they don't you'll have all these guys complaining that they have been cheated. :-)
Wigg, RangerNS and kronos80 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The older the plane, the more potential for mechanicals. I like the Max as long as I get a preferred seat!
Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25k
Originally Posted by AC*SE

There is no separate collective agreement for Rouge pilots. Rouge rules were governed by an LOU. However since the Covid restart LOU, Rouge pilots have been on the same terms and conditions as mainline.
Rouge pilot positions are just a bid position like any other fleet type and pilots can move back and forth a few times per year. The fly in the ointment is that Rouge is on a separate OC and uses a different training system so crew and aircraft are not interchangeable on a daily basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.