Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No Response to Call Button in AC Signature Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Pressed the call button to have dishes and tablecloth removed after dinner service on AC 42, Toronto-Delhi. Everyone else had finished. No response and after 10+ minutes, the call button light was extinguished! I had to bus my own dishes to the nearest galley, which was unstaffed. Is this typical?

In fairness, I will say that during dinner service the staff was friendly and engaged, although there were no pre-departure beverages except sparkling water, and no beverage service until after the appetizer had been delivered. Then the wrong main entree was presented, and hurriedly exchanged a minute later (the same thing had happened on my connecting SFO-YYZ flight!)

Thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada 3MM, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by Explore
Pressed the call button to have dishes and tablecloth removed after dinner service on AC 42, Toronto-Delhi. Everyone else had finished. No response and after 10+ minutes, the call button light was extinguished! I had to bus my own dishes to the nearest galley, which was unstaffed. Is this typical?

In fairness, I will say that during dinner service the staff was friendly and engaged, although there were no pre-departure beverages except sparkling water, and no beverage service until after the appetizer had been delivered. Then the wrong main entree was presented, and hurriedly exchanged a minute later (the same thing had happened on my connecting SFO-YYZ flight!)

Thoughts?
Who pushes the call button? After 35 years of flying 80 to 110 X per year, I have never pushed the button once. I would only push the call button in a emergency. Pushing the call button, in my opinion, would be like snapping your fingers towards someone.
1969cad and zrh2yvr like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by foothills county flier
Who pushes the call button? After 35 years of flying 80 to 110 X per year, I have never pushed the button once. I would only push the call button in an guess emergency. Pushing the call button, in my opinion, would be like snapping your fingers towards someone.
I guess you haven't traveled on premier global carriers. I'm guessing this may be a bit unusual on AC, which I normally associate with good service.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:46 pm

I guess you haven't traveled on premier global carriers. I'm guessing this may be a bit unusual on AC, which I normally associate with good service.

No, I have flown on many premier global airlines. It’s a cultural issues. Basically, only Asians use the call button. In general, N. American/Europeans never use the call button. It maybe best, if you uses a Asian airline on this route next time.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

No, I have flown on many premier global airlines. It’s a cultural issues. Basically, only Asians use the call button. In general, N. American/Europeans never use the call button. It maybe best, if you uses an ring. Asian airline on this route next time.
Wrong. In business class at least, FAs of virtually all airlines promptly answer the call button. This includes U.S. carriers.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:10 pm

Wrong. In business class at least, FAs of virtually all airlines promptly answer the call button. This includes U.S. carriers.

Not during dinner service. I don’t know much about U.S (I try to stay away from them, except Delta)airlines, but even CX can be very slow answering the call button during food services.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Not during dinner service. I don’t know much about U.S (I try to stay away from them, except Delta)airlines, but even CX can be very slow answering the call button during food services.
We're talking about well after dinner service. The FAs are just hanging around.
moondog, the810, YYC3722 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Who pushes the call button? After 35 years of flying 80 to 110 X per year, I have never pushed the button once. I would only push the call button in a emergency. Pushing the call button, in my opinion, would be like snapping your fingers towards someone.
I have zero issue pushing the call button for service items, especially when others are sleeping or when the seat belt light is lit. The button/light/chime annunciator are there for a reason.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
No, I have flown on many premier global airlines. It’s a cultural issues. Basically, only Asians use the call button. In general, N. American/Europeans never use the call button. It maybe best, if you uses a Asian airline on this route next time.
I am Canadian and white. I can tell you that I have no problem pushing the call button in "J" and expect someone to answer it. When I want/need something I generally give it a few minutes to see if someone comes up/down the aisle, and if not I don't hesitate as often as the OP suggests if it's in between service times the FA's are often just 'hanging out' in the front galley chatting with one another.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:08 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
I'd love to know how other ethnocultural groups have fared in your scientific study on the correlation between one's national origins and call button utilization. And what peer-reviewed journal you've published said study.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
So what do you do when you need something from the crew? Wait, perhaps indefinitely, until they inquire if you need anything?

ULH flights can have many hours between services. It is not uncommon for the crew to "disappear" and it is perfectly normal in my opinion for pax to hit the call button if they want a snack or beverage or anything else that is part of the onboard service offering during that time. After all we are stuck in a metal tube for 13+ hours.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:24 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Way to project your beliefs on everyone! It's called a 'call' button for a reason and there is no stigma in using it at all. It it wasn't meant to get used it would be deleted when ordered, or in red if it was only meant for emergencies.

​​​​​What a baffling take and the 'fly Asian airlines if you want to use the call button' is something else as well. I will stop there.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
We did a call button test last summer inn between services.
Winner was EVA with 10 seconds, followed closely by SQ. Thai was quick too. Etihad and Qatar took about 30 seconds, I feel like their premium cabins are understaffed for the level of service that's expected.
United slow but under a minute.

Air Canada was the only airline never to bother answering....
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Still aboard AC 42, YYZ-DEL. In fairness, when I pressed the call button for water a few hours later, an FA appeared within a minute or so. And when I visited the front galley an hour after that, the FA was happy to prepare samosas and a cappuccino, which were delivered soon after.

So maybe the earlier instance was unusual. On the other hand, crew distraction seems a thing since the wrong meal was initially delivered both on SFO-YYZ and the current flight.
jrpmzp likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
I don't agree the call button should be reserved to emergencies as many in this thread, but I would refrain from using it during meal service for non-emergencies. FAs are generally very busy at that time.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
We did a call button test last summer inn between services.
Winner was EVA with 10 seconds, followed closely by SQ. Thai was quick too. Etihad and Qatar took about 30 seconds.
The problem with Ethiad is that they hide in the galley and don't check on you! Otherwise it's great service. They were quick to respond on recent flight, but Ethiad FAs tend to not remove the light when they come. SO asked for a breakfast meal and someone came to take the order. They left the light on - maybe to remember where to bring it? But in the course of the next 5 minutes 2 more FAs attended SO's call. Eventually the light was removed and meal arrived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.