Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carry-on guitar/case in Business/Z on a 737 MAX 8?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black

My daughter is flying YYZ-YVR in a couple of weeks on a 737 Max 8, she has a seat up front in business class (2 + 2 configuration); can she carry on her guitar in its hard case or will they force her to check it as oversized/special luggage? We plan to be the first to board and presumably it will fit in the overhead bins? or will it? truth is I have not flown a 737 max 8 yet (!)
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by plgplg
My daughter is flying YYZ-YVR in a couple of weeks on a 737 Max 8, she has a seat up front in business class (2 + 2 configuration); can she carry on her guitar in its hard case or will they force her to check it as oversized/special luggage? We plan to be the first to board and presumably it will fit in the overhead bins? or will it? truth is I have not flown a 737 max 8 yet (!)
Although I would assume it would fit into the overhead, but you/your daughter will likely be asked to check the guitar, as it is most likely over the carry on size limit, not to mention other passengers. Carry on size still applies to J pax. For this, I would say you should purchase an extra seat.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
You could take a chance and ask the FA if their closet will accommodate the guitar (I don't know the actual size of the closet).
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Guitars and violins are allowed on board if they fit in the overhead bin. If they do not fit, or if the passenger wishes to be assured of travelling with their instrument, an extra seat needs to be purchased for the instrument to stay in the cabin.

Since you aren’t certain if it fits you will need to ask yourself if you’re fine chancing it (ensure the guitar is packed appropriately for transport in the hold). Professional musicians often buy extra seats for their instruments but I don’t know if this is a priceless guitar or an ordinary one.

Originally Posted by yoonland
Although I would assume it would fit into the overhead, but you/your daughter will likely be asked to check the guitar, as it is most likely over the carry on size limit, not to mention other passengers. Carry on size still applies to J pax. For this, I would say you should purchase an extra seat.
AC has a published exception to the carry on size rules for string instruments; they don’t need to fit in the sizer (a guitar most certainly would not). They do however need to physically fit in the bin or else an extra seat needs to be purchased.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 13, 2023 at 9:06 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
AC has a published exception to the carry on size rules for string instruments; they don’t need to fit in the sizer (a guitar most certainly would not). They do however need to physically fit in the bin or else an extra seat needs to be purchased.
In that case, if you are the first on board and your guitar isn’t huge, I would assume it would fit, and you have no issues. Still, I would recommend the extra seat as it isn’t gaurenteed that your guitar will fit into the overhead or there will be enough space. AC Website mentions “slightly” so I would assume that would just be the overhead bin size
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by plgplg
Get to the airport and gate early. When the gate agent arrives ask if you can board ahead of everyone to ensure the instrument fits. If the instrument does not fit then it would be checked it and is better to have it checked in at the gate as there will be less handling (think of that incident with United and the follow-up song!)

If this is an early flight the aircraft should already be at the gate so this would be easy. Lots of this will depend on the gate agent. You are in J, perhaps involve the concierge as a precaution.

Like a lot of things in life, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If it takes up a lot of room and some complaint, then have her play something midflight and calm the Karen's.

best of luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.