Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC cancelled my preferred seat assignments!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Had to book two separate reward tickets per AC's system limitations back in February for travel in two weeks: One reservation for my family (three seats) using three business priority rewards. Another reservation for myself using a 50K reward certificate. At the time of booking, I was able to secure preferred seats for all 4 of us (I called AC and they booked them for me). No charge and never once was there any mention of "oh and by the way, make sure you call back to pay for them otherwise we're going to cancel them 4 months from now". Received a confirmation of seat assignments email at that time showing $0.00 owed.

Fast forward to yesterday. I find out all three of their seats have been cancelled, and when I call the SE desk, two different agents are telling me that the seats were cancelled for non-payment, and the only way to get them back is by paying $130 per seat!!!!

NOT HAPPY AIR CANADA

AND when I ask to speak to a supervisor, I get a "Our Supervisor's don't take calls". Really???? Ok then how do I speak to someone above you to get this fixed???

Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Sucks, but they're correct. You need to be on the same PNR to get free preferred seats.

There have been a LOT of people taking advantage of things like this (or worse - booking 4 pax selecting seats, and cancelling themselves), so they do need a way to retroactively "fix" bookings.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Then why the email confirmation saying $0.00 owed for their seats?

I just asked if they could grab my seats while I was on the phone with them booking the flights, and no problem...aeroplan grabbed the seats I requested and sent me an email confirmation. Why send me a confirmation email stating seats confirmed and $0.00 owed, but then wait until 4 months later -- 2 weeks before the flight -- to cancel them, AND even worse, not bother to tell me they did this? I only found out by logging into my account today to see that they no longer had seats!

Last edited by ajcopley; Jun 5, 2023 at 3:51 pm
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ajcopley
Then why the email confirmation saying $0.00 owed for their seats????
A bug that wasn't charging you because your account is SE?
nancypants and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Yeah- this sucks. Happened to me the other day.

But it seems that SE have been getting away with something (ie free seat selection on lower fares when we are not on the reservation) for a while. That part that sucks is that they assign the seats for $0 , but then later cancel the seats with no notice whatsoever. And then claim the seats were let go for non-payment, despite the fact I was never asked for payment.

But yeah, I get it.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
Yeah- this sucks. Happened to me the other day.

But it seems that SE have been getting away with something (ie free seat selection on lower fares when we are not on the reservation) for a while. That part that sucks is that they assign the seats for $0 , but then later cancel the seats with no notice whatsoever. And then claim the seats were let go for non-payment, despite the fact I was never asked for payment.

But yeah, I get it.

Thing is...I wasn't trying to get away with anything. They offered to get all of our seats, so I took them up on the offer. Don't send me an email confirmation showing $0.00 owed and lead me on for four months thinking all is good, only to cancel them without telling me. And then same thing..I get the "they were canceled for non-payment". I was never asked for payment!!!
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:12 pm

For waht it's worth, the booking flow is now asking me to pay for preferred seat selection on both TG and FL redemptions when I'm not on the booking.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Then why the email confirmation saying $0.00 owed for their seats?

I just asked if they could grab my seats while I was on the phone with them booking the flights, and no problem...aeroplan grabbed the seats I requested and sent me an email confirmation. Why send me a confirmation email stating seats confirmed and $0.00 owed, but then wait until 4 months later -- 2 weeks before the flight -- to cancel them, AND even worse, not bother to tell me they did this? I only found out by logging into my account today to see that they no longer had seats!
I presume the tool the agent can use to assign seats isn't connected to the billing tool; they billed you $0. The unrelated audit/fraud tool detected the misalignment in its own good time. And then just fixed the glitch
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I presume the tool the agent can use to assign seats isn't connected to the billing tool; they billed you $0.
The website used to allow this for redemptions in TG/FL from a SE account regardless of whether the SE was on the booking.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I presume the tool the agent can use to assign seats isn't connected to the billing tool; they billed you $0. The unrelated audit/fraud tool detected the misalignment in its own good time. And then just fixed the glitch
Perhaps, but don't retroactively penalize those of us for a system glitch. Fix the glitch and make it effective going forward.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada, Best Western, Marriott
Perhaps, but don't retroactively penalize those of us for a system glitch. Fix the glitch and make it effective going forward.
Most business fix glitch, once they find them. I would take it as a life lesson, move forward and buy the preferred seats for your flight. Also, in the futures, I would check my booking every month or so, when you book so far out. Not checking your booking for four months, sounds like a mistake.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foothills county flier
Most business fix glitch, once they find them. I would take it as a life lesson, move forward and buy the preferred seats for your flight. Also, in the futures, I would check my booking every month or so, when you book so far out. Not checking your booking for four months, sounds like a mistake.

Most businesses might.

However once you have entered into a contract, you are supposed to be in. That your employee or your system made a mistake is not a valid reason to unilaterally change the deal.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:18 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Some of the replies in this thread make me feel like they work for AC
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
Some of the replies in this thread make me feel like they work for AC

It's possible to agree with AC without working for them.

Looking at it another way, this was a way to scam your way into free preferred seats, thereby taking away my ability to legitimately get them. Does it make you feel better if I give you a selfish reason for my opinion?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by canadiancow

It's possible to agree with AC without working for them.

Looking at it another way, this was a way to scam your way into free preferred seats, thereby taking away my ability to legitimately get them. Does it make you feel better if I give you a selfish reason for my opinion?
It wasn’t a scam- AC offered seats for no cost. SEs accepted them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.