Wiki Posts
Search

Where Can I Find Change Fees?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Where Can I Find Change Fees?

Is there a place where I can find a definitive list of change fees?

Are change fees as simple as "any non-flexible business class fare is X dollars" or is it more complicated than that? Does it vary by other factors such as how soon the flight is?

This page lists same-day airport change fees, but for other changes merely says "a fee applies."

(I know that, in theory, it is possible to see the complete fare rules for an existing booking (though it's currently giving me an error on all of mine). But I would like to know what the change fees would be for a potential booking before I make it.)
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:46 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Changes are generally made up of three things..... the penalty to change, a difference in cost between what you bought and what you are changing to, difference in government taxes/fuel surcharge/misc taxes.
The penalty may or may not apply depending on your fare basis/fare family
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Changes are generally made up of three things..... the penalty to change, a difference in cost between what you bought and what you are changing to, difference in government taxes/fuel surcharge/misc taxes.
The penalty may or may not apply depending on your fare basis/fare family
Right. The part I'm interested in is specifically the lump sum change fee that you are penalized with for simply changing your flight to a different day.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:15 am

At the top of the link you provided "fare options and fees" will take you to the various change fees for everything but international flights.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kalderlake
At the top of the link you provided "fare options and fees" will take you to the various change fees for everything but international flights.
I’m not seeing specific fees. Also, it’s international I’m most interested in.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:47 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Post your routing pair, purchase date and fare basis OR since you are SE100K, just call your help line and ask them
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I’m not seeing specific fees. Also, it’s international I’m most interested in.
The general fees are in the tables for each market on the Our Fare Options page. For example, Standard fares within Canada have a $100 change fee.

With regards to international fares, you're going to have to look at the underlying fare rules for the fare you're interested in. They can vary quite a bit; there aren't fixed amounts.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A lot of international fares also have free changes. My last PY Lowest SFO-AMS ticket had $0 change fees.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25k
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
This page lists same-day airport change fees, but for other changes merely says "a fee applies."

(I know that, in theory, it is possible to see the complete fare rules for an existing booking (though it's currently giving me an error on all of mine). But I would like to know what the change fees would be for a potential booking before I make it.)
In my experience it's possible to see the full fare details by clicking the fare title on the trip details screen on the website, before payment. The change penalty should be visible there.

I was pleasantly surprised to find $0 change penalty on a recent TATL booking in Flex, despite the international fare description page saying "a few applies". So it pays to check.
TheCanuckian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.