Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2023, 6:00 pm

I would have flown AC, but they cancelled their direct route to BDL. Instead of an hour 20 direct, I took 4.5 hours to get their via Dulles.

COVID victim, route starts back up in May.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Was the EV trip cheaper than AC?! Or was that purely marked frustration? I fear the day I show up in YXJ and they hand me keys to an EV. The Dodge Charger that had been driven by an idiot gave me enough heart failure when it registered 340km/tank radius when I was at least 388km from where needed to be. (FYI it can actually handle 780km on a tank, if driven only occasionally in flagrant excess of speed limits in the middle of nowhere.)

I would have flown AC last weekend, but Flair gave me a similar seat with 4-6 inches less pitch for $34 all in YLW-YVR. AC wanted $280. It wasn't really even a hard choice with zero bags, zero seat selection, online check-in.

You were here and did not even call
Old May 7, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFanYYZ
I would have flown AC, but they cancelled their direct route to BDL. Instead of an hour 20 direct, I took 4.5 hours to get their via Dulles.

COVID victim, route starts back up in May.
It still looks like limited runs though. I’m not sure how I’ll feel about flying it on a modern aircraft with this post covid return. It’s the only route I’ll miss the Beech on.
Old May 8, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I would have flown Air Canada from EWR to CDG, but the refundable fare was almost double what it was on United. The standard, non refundable rate was similar if flying through YUL but much higher through YYZ. My personal preference would be YYZ (being originally from there, if things go sour I know people I can stay with) plus there’s no signature lounge in YUL and I enjoyed my last visit there in YYZ. So UA it is!
Old May 8, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I would have flown AC on my upcoming work trip to London, but got PY on BA for hundreds less than AC wanted for Flex. Seriously AC, $2,600 to sit in the back? You guys are smoking crack.
Old May 8, 2023, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
... flying AF ex-YOW means I avoid YYZ
... flying AF means I (no status) can actually talk to an airline rep on the phone with a wait of less than 30 seconds
Doesn't AF ex-YOW mean taking a bus to YUL or did they finally start flying an actual plane to YOW?
Old May 8, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Doesn't AF ex-YOW mean taking a bus to YUL or did they finally start flying an actual plane to YOW?
https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/n...20in%20Economy).

Sounds like the shuttle option will still be available, as well as some direct options.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
I would have flown Aer Canada from Sydney to Toronto but the prospect of shelling out 360,000+ Aeroplan points to fly business class versus 110,000 points to fly VA/EY/TP in business (with a 2 week stopover in Zurich) was more appealing. I would have flown Aer Canada from LA to Sydney but the prospect of shelling out 240,000 points to fly business class versus 110,000 points to fly OZ on an A380 and 777 (with a 4 day stopover in Seoul) was too tempting.

-RooFlyer88
Old May 8, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
AC is still losing my YYJ-YEG trips, of which I make a lot. This week I flew WS, direct for 1/2 of what AC wanted.
Another week, another trip on WS. I've now done 3 trips on WS, all for much less than AC Flex, and thanks to the WS status match I've always gone in Premium. Can't complain about direct jet service in a premium seat, for $500 CAD round trip booked relatively last minute.
Fisch and CanadianMike like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Another week, another trip on WS. I've now done 3 trips on WS, all for much less than AC Flex, and thanks to the WS status match I've always gone in Premium. Can't complain about direct jet service in a premium seat, for $500 CAD round trip booked relatively last minute.
Great to see you took advantage of the Delta status match too. You get all the perks of being an elite with WestJet but all the partner benefits like priority seat selection on Delta, Air France, KLM along with lounge access abroad. And if that wasn't enough the fact that you can book virtually any WS flight in Y as an award for 12,500 SkyMiles is a boon to say nothing of the fact that you don't even need to spend money with Delta or set foot on one of their planes to earn elite status a non-US resident.

-RooFlyer88
Old May 8, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by zkzkz
There will be flights 5x weekly YOW-CDG starting June 27. There is still an option to fly out of YUL getting to YUL via bus from YOW
Old May 8, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I would have flown Star Alliance, but Lufthansa's booking page doesn't even recognize Aeroplan as a partner program - literally won't even let me enter an Aeroplan number.

...without my *G benefits, there's no reason to buy the more-expensive Lufthansa fare, and I don't really feel like spending time doing AC's legwork on this one.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
There will be flights 5x weekly YOW-CDG starting June 27. There is still an option to fly out of YUL getting to YUL via bus from YOW
Looks like pricing just got cranked up. I was seeing just over $3000 RT towards end of August in business when I was looking last week. Now seeing those starting at closer to $5500 RT. Ouch. Was all prepared to make my "I would have flown AC but..." post and everything.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I would have flown Star Alliance, but Lufthansa's booking page doesn't even recognize Aeroplan as a partner program - literally won't even let me enter an Aeroplan number.
Wow, that's unbelievable, I don't see it either. It was absolutely there a few months ago! I'd be very curious to know what happened, as I sometimes book directly with LH/LX/OS for mid-trip intra-Europe hops.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Newo92
Looks like pricing just got cranked up. I was seeing just over $3000 RT towards end of August in business when I was looking last week. Now seeing those starting at closer to $5500 RT. Ouch. Was all prepared to make my "I would have flown AC but..." post and everything.
Looks like the promo prices are gone and new prices are competitive with AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.