Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
Originally Posted by The Lev
On most of my recent flights it has been either J=0 or only a few J seats left by the time check-in opens. Maybe it's an eastern versus western Canada thing.
Very likely.

YVR -LHR is a lot cheaper than YVR - YYZ - LHR in J so dynamic fare pricing supports your notion.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I would have flown AC YOW-DTW several times a year to meet with a key client, but AC's pricing on that route never, ever drops below $500 in *basic*, or $700+ in Flex. It's generally cheaper to fly to LA.

...I could fly to Windsor instead, but YYZ-YQG is generally one of the first routes to get cancelled when the first snowflake lands, and the whole point of buying plane tickets is that I don't want to spend all day driving.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan unknown
YYC-CUN

I would have flown AC YYC-CUN last March and this March but all I can find with AC is through YYZ. The Direct Flights offered by WJ on the Dreamliner in Business are really good value in comparison. Although it kills Me not to be getting those sweet Aeroplan Points.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
I would have flown AC to Lisbon at the end of April but the fare for their flights (including the ones with connections) were double the price of LH so I'm going to try out the "captain's chair" on a 744 before the Queen of the Sky is retired.
Went to check in and it appears that LH gave away my Captain's seat and I'm now plopped in the main J cabin.

I did my seat reservations on the AC website when I booked - it showed the LH seatmaps and allowed me to book that seat. Anybody know whether that is considered a "preferred" seat by LH and thus not bookable by mere SE's or if AC's seat reservation doesn't actually work on AC flights or did some HON Circle person simply bump me?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
... no lemon pound cake ...
expert7700 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
... flying AF ex-YOW means I avoid YYZ
... flying AF means I (no status) can actually talk to an airline rep on the phone with a wait of less than 30 seconds
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
Trying to fly DXB - LHR, the AC booking engine only gives me access to DXB - BOM - LHR and won’t let me choose Emirates direct, Lufthansa via MUC or Swiss via GVA. As SQM are important to me, I guess it will be LH as they have better flights times than Swiss.

To do my two stopover trip, I have to book on open jaw return on AC and a one way on another airline.

I am not interested in paying about $2,500 more for a pure 014 ticket in J which forces me to backtrack to BOM on one leg.

AC, *A and the Emirates partnership all seem pretty useless to me.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: TK *G
Would have flown AC on YTZ-YUL, but for some reason I couldn’t find AC flights out of YTZ on Amex travel, and I wanted to use the $200 travel credit. Flew PD instead and as always, I didn’t miss anything.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
AC is still losing my YYJ-YEG trips, of which I make a lot. This week I flew WS, direct for 1/2 of what AC wanted. I've also tried Lynx, and Flair, and even drove it in a EV rental car from National (that was an experiment).

Not sure what this means for me keeping SE, but at the end of the day I can't justify paying 2x the cost to fly indirect routings on AC. Not to mention the frustrating lack of capacity.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
AC is still losing my YYJ-YEG trips, of which I make a lot. This week I flew WS, direct for 1/2 of what AC wanted. I've also tried Lynx, and Flair, and even drove it in a EV rental car from National (that was an experiment).
Did the water surrounding YYJ pose any isuse for the EV bartery?
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I would have flown IAH–YYC on AC, but they jacked up the price of the Western USA flight pass and eliminated service between Calgary and Houston.

I booked IAH–YYC on WestJet this morning. This will be my first WestJet flight since 2016!
BlondeBomber and Fisch like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Nitehawk

Not sure what this means for me keeping SE, but at the end of the day I can't justify paying 2x the cost to fly indirect routings on AC. Not to mention the frustrating lack of capacity.
Was the EV trip cheaper than AC?! Or was that purely marked frustration? I fear the day I show up in YXJ and they hand me keys to an EV. The Dodge Charger that had been driven by an idiot gave me enough heart failure when it registered 340km/tank radius when I was at least 388km from where needed to be. (FYI it can actually handle 780km on a tank, if driven only occasionally in flagrant excess of speed limits in the middle of nowhere.)

I would have flown AC last weekend, but Flair gave me a similar seat with 4-6 inches less pitch for $34 all in YLW-YVR. AC wanted $280. It wasn't really even a hard choice with zero bags, zero seat selection, online check-in.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by expert7700
Did the water surrounding YYJ pose any isuse for the EV bartery?
BC Ferries got me across safely and in a timely fashion.

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Was the EV trip cheaper than AC?! Or was that purely marked frustration?
EV trip including rental charges, hotels, ferry, and meals was definitely cheaper than flying AC.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Just flew AC from YYZ to DBX and have been flying BR mostly or QR sometimes, AC is nothing to talk about even in business. The staff are nice and friendly and the movie selection is better than BR but otherwise its not upto the airlines that I have flown.
Old May 4, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Love this thread!
...We would have flown AC J to the southern US but with no direct flights from YWG, we chose WestJet. Sameish seat, no connections.
... We would have flown AC J to Italy but the fully refundable J fare with Delta beat the price and the service by a large enough margin that we bit. And Delta has a nifty business program (SkyBonus) that actually rewards our business travel investment.
... We would have continued our habit of purchasing several AC J flight passes until the prices exceeded our willingness to pre-pay AC thousands of dollars. And I suspect breaking this pattern will mean even less AC travel in the future as we shop solely on a la carte pricing. This is probably my biggest regret- budgeting for proposals used to be easy with the static flight credit cost. But we move on...
BlondeBomber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.