Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:54 pm

I would have flown AC to MEX earlier this month, but I got tired of the completely unreliable service out of YOW and the missed connections in YYZ or YUL. So I paid more to fly UA. All flights were on time or early, the planes were clean, and the airport staff and flight crew were friendly and professional -- seriously.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:30 am

I would have flown AC to asia in 2022 but award seats for Air Canada on aeroplan is way more costly than partner airlines due to dynamic pricing
Argonaut1000 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
This is the best new thread in a while...should we start another..."I flew AC, but I wish I hadn't"?
Symmetre and Porch like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I would have flown AC and would have preferred to fly AC but.....
May 2023 flight YYZ-SJD involves convoluted connections and cost $2000+. Would have thought that there would be reasonable demand from YYZ to Los Cabos and AC should at least build a reasonable codeshare itin. Swoop (not that I want to fly them) is less than $500. Already flew to SJD with Aeromexico last Aug.
Aug YYZ-PUJ is more than double the price compared to Westjet. Again, a popular tourist destination.

Last edited by vernonc; Mar 20, 2023 at 9:19 am
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Silver
I would also have flown AC earlier this month but Porter had lower fares, better schedule, and I wouldn't have to connect in YYZ. Plus, I can't rely on AC to actually keep close to schedule so I can actually make my connection.
I was also stunned by fares on AC to Asia and South Pacific. Presumably this just indicates AC flights are full to the brim with people who take a lot of time to embark/disembark, thus delaying flights.
Cas23 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by billdokes
This is the best new thread in a while...should we start another..."I flew AC, but I wish I hadn't"?
I already have my post lined up for this one! I'm just waiting for the thread to open.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by billdokes
Originally Posted by JayTakesOff
I already have my post lined up for this one! I'm just waiting for the thread to open.
Very tempting to start... although I feel that it may be ruled irrelevant by Adam Smith as 82.634% of the posts on the forum can be summed up as "I flew AC, but I wish I hadn't". Perhaps the community here could compile the stories into a books of "stories from the front line". I hear those sell quite well.

And to not appear off topic, would have taken the entourage on AC to MCO for a well deserved getaway, but $$$, flight pass price increase, and schedule is forcing a recalculation of the state of affairs. I feel for those who have been saving up for a special trip, especially for a special occasion, and are now seeing everything so unpredictable on AC.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Would have flown AC from YYC to LAS later this spring but they have suspended service. A connection in YVR would have taken twice as long and cost twice as much as a direct flight on WS.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by fly_yag
Would have flown AC from YYC to LAS later this spring but they have suspended service. A connection in YVR would have taken twice as long and cost twice as much as a direct flight on WS.
Funny because the YVR - YYC - LAS (and back) routings were almost always cheaper than the YVR - LAS ones.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:34 pm

I would fly Air Canada but they simply keep getting priced out by Westjet and their constant sales. Flying Vancouver to Toronto with a family of 4 isn't feasible with Aeroplan and its bloated pricing!
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I would have flown AC to LHR and returning from KEF in July but their PY was $400 per person more than the TS/FI combo that I actually booked. TS actually has pre-booked meals in their PY and FI has a lounge in KEF. The $800 savings for my wife and I paid for the VRBO in Iceland after the cruise.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I would have flown AC to Lisbon at the end of April but the fare for their flights (including the ones with connections) were double the price of LH so I'm going to try out the "captain's chair" on a 744 before the Queen of the Sky is retired.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:07 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Enjoying the thread! Can't play, though. Between needing SQD to keep SE and closing in on 1MM, I will go to ridiculous extremes to stay on AC metal, atm.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
I know that seat maps are not a completely reliable tool but our YVR - LHR full revenue flight in 3 weeks and the return in 5 weeks are both showing J at just over 50% full. We booked more than 9 months ago.

It is just 2 legs but perhaps people are finally getting fed up with ridiculous fares and have decided to fly ABAC (Anyone But Air Canada).
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Aphrican
I know that seat maps are not a completely reliable tool but our YVR - LHR full revenue flight in 3 weeks and the return in 5 weeks are both showing J at just over 50% full. We booked more than 9 months ago.

It is just 2 legs but perhaps people are finally getting fed up with ridiculous fares and have decided to fly ABAC (Anyone But Air Canada).
On most of my recent flights it has been either J=0 or only a few J seats left by the time check-in opens. Maybe it's an eastern versus western Canada thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.