Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Meal pre-orders can be done 30 days to 72 hours before departure for flights departing from the major hubs to most(?) intercontinental destinations.
Print Wikipost

AC introducing meal pre-ordering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by thathandsomehandsome
Flight number? Date?
AC810 (and AC813 on the return). APR5
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:50 pm

Also have a similar situation with AC 852 (YVR-LHR) on April 19.

I saw the Meal card in app at T-30. On the 30th day the app actually had a timer countdown saying it would open for orders in x hours x minutes counting down from the flight departure time. When it got to 0:0 the timer just blacked out completely. Checking the AC website for menus; 852 seemingly doesn’t have any menus; yet all the other YVR-LHR flights have some available. Seems like this flight in particular doesn’t have preordering? Also on an A330; adding insult to injury. I want to switch to a 777 or 787 departure; haha.

Last edited by MechMachine; Mar 22, 2024 at 12:24 am
Old Mar 22, 2024, 7:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CA_Traffic
AC810 (and AC813 on the return). APR5
By posting about it I've seemingly summoned it into being, got the email last night, so apparently some of them are going out at T-14 not T-30
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 7:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Platinum (LT Gold), Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by CA_Traffic
By posting about it I've seemingly summoned it into being, got the email last night, so apparently some of them are going out at T-14 not T-30
Your flights are in April. One of the flights you mentioned is departing LIS, so wouldn't be eligible anyways. For the flight departing Canada - menus for the next month (April in this case) are uploaded the week before the month starts. Looks like they were just in time...
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by MechMachine
Also have a similar situation with AC 852 (YVR-LHR) on April 19.

I saw the Meal card in app at T-30. On the 30th day the app actually had a timer countdown saying it would open for orders in x hours x minutes counting down from the flight departure time. When it got to 0:0 the timer just blacked out completely. Checking the AC website for menus; 852 seemingly doesn’t have any menus; yet all the other YVR-LHR flights have some available. Seems like this flight in particular doesn’t have preordering? Also on an A330; adding insult to injury. I want to switch to a 777 or 787 departure; haha.
Originally Posted by thathandsomehandsome
Your flights are in April. One of the flights you mentioned is departing LIS, so wouldn't be eligible anyways. For the flight departing Canada - menus for the next month (April in this case) are uploaded the week before the month starts. Looks like they were just in time...
I checked this morning and got the email as well, such luck. Now I have a different problem of having selected a main course and later deciding to change it; but every time I go to change it won't let me. At least I got to see the menu and choose something; first world problems.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC*S100K MM, Carlson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I have now received my first meal pre-order invite for a domestic flight (Signature / about two weeks out - if either data point makes a difference). The domestic flight is part of an international itinerary, and the meal pre-order invite for the international segment was received three days prior to this one.

On an unrelated (to pre-order) point, but for someone who's not into the omelette option, isn't a bit too much to have a chia seed pudding as an appetizer and as a cold breakfast main course? Two separate sections for an appetizer is equally appetizing
frutabell likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Has AC said anything recently about giving more food options to those who pre-order?

Most options are the same regardless of destination, but these days from YYZ AC has "Traditional Beef Bulgogi" on flights to Korea and "Beef Sukiyaki" on flights to Japan. There's no reason why those 2 dishes could not be offered on any flight leaving YYZ for those who pre-order at least 3 days in advance?

This was common feedback when the pre-ordering program was first launched. I'm just curious to know if AC addressed the feedback and/or if they acknowledged it's planned for down the road?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyExplorerYYZ
Has AC said anything recently about giving more food options to those who pre-order?

Most options are the same regardless of destination, but these days from YYZ AC has "Traditional Beef Bulgogi" on flights to Korea and "Beef Sukiyaki" on flights to Japan. There's no reason why those 2 dishes could not be offered on any flight leaving YYZ for those who pre-order at least 3 days in advance?

This was common feedback when the pre-ordering program was first launched. I'm just curious to know if AC addressed the feedback and/or if they acknowledged it's planned for down the road?
They announced it was planned long before anyone ever asked for it.

They also sent out an email blast to Elites earlier this month saying it would be coming "soon".
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:37 am

Has this expanded to domestic and transborder routes yet?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by avgeek9995
Yes - some. Right now I believe its primarily widebody/SS routes.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by avgeek9995
Have been getting pre-order emails for YYZ-YVR sporadically over the past month. Sometimes I get it for one bound, but not the other. Not sure if UG waitlist status has any bearing.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:27 am

This is an interesting exercise in futility. I got a pre-order email for a YEG-YYZ redeye; it was widebody but got swapped to a 321 about a week ago. I received the email a few days after the swap with exactly one choice.

Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: SE 100K
Either my thread search was ineffective, or I haven't seen it posted upthread...

If one pre-orders a meal for PY, then is upgraded, are they "locked" to that meal?

Upgrade to J of course expanding the menu to 4x options (2 of which are potentially unavailable in PY + better than the PY ones...)
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Either my thread search was ineffective, or I haven't seen it posted upthread...

If one pre-orders a meal for PY, then is upgraded, are they "locked" to that meal?

Upgrade to J of course expanding the menu to 4x options (2 of which are potentially unavailable in PY + better than the PY ones...)
The pre-order emails all say that you can switch meals on board subject to availability and that is without a cabin switch. I imagine after a cabin change you can still modify your meal choice so long as theyre not massively short catered.
billdokes and CanadianMike like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CanadianMike

You are not locked, and you can even decide not to eat if you choose...it's a pretty open system.

Actually just got a pre-order email now, this is what it says:

How meal pre-ordering works:
  • Meal availability is subject to change. We’ll do our best to serve your preference, but we can’t guarantee your choice.
  • Meal pre-ordering closes 72 hours before departure.
  • If you don’t want to pre-order a meal or if you change your mind on board, you can let us know what you’d like to have to eat during your flight, pending availability

Last edited by billdokes; Mar 30, 2024 at 12:17 pm Reason: Update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.