Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Social Media Support - Success, Failures, Response Times, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

I have often been impressed with Air Canada’s customer support via Twitter direct messages. I suspect many AC customers call in and sit on hold waiting for customer support for non-urgent requests that could easily be handled via Twitter. So I thought it might be worthwhile to 1) remind people that AC is often quite responsive to Twitter requests and 2) to share some of the requests that have been successfully handled that way.

First, though, when you get in touch with AC via Twitter DM, make sure you include your booking reference with any requests. And if your identity is not clear from your Twitter account, include your first and last name as well.

Recently I have successfully used Twitter DM to:
  • have seats assigned when the web site wouldn’t allow it for some reason;
  • have an eUpgrade applied to my Nominee’s booking when the web site wouldn’t allow it for some reason;
  • inquire about a Status Pass when it was not showing up properly on a friend’s booking;
  • apply a Status Pass to a booking made through Lufthansa when the first flight was on AC.
Most of these were handled in a couple of hours or less.

I was not successful in having them clear an eUpgrade when R space was available but I wasn’t being upgraded—they told me to write to the SuperElite email for that.

I think it would be helpful, now, to have you share some other successful (and/or unsuccessful) attempts at customer support through Twitter DM. And maybe we can reduce the load on the phones just a little bit…

(Note: I had far more success stories back when there was a dedicated account for people with Altitude status, but that’s ancient history now.)
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I use FB Messenger and get similar quick responses that do what I want.
YOWgary and MillennialMiles like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I found FB messenger super helpful with anything that didn't require an adcol (eg partner PNRs, seat assignments, FF# changes) up until a couple years ago, at which point they stopped responding to messages, although I admittedly haven't tried contacting them through that route in ~2-3 years
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay apparently I've only done this once. But it was recent.

CanadianMike likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:41 pm

I have had great results on FB messenger when it’s something they’re able to help with.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 8:20 pm

Twitter DM looking for PNRs for a pair of Canadian North bookings in order to book seats.

They responded with them the next morning.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:04 pm

No examples but from my work experience I can say large companies tend to take social more seriously than any other customer service method by far (not even close) because any complaint could blow up into a PR nightmare.

My method of choice, if reg reps don't get it done, is to look up a VP or above email and send them my complaint.

Works 100% of the time. Again from experience you would not believe the effort that goes into solving anything that comes from VP or above. However if that does not work then that's not a company you want to do business with as any exec who does not pay attention to client complaints is indicative of a culture issue.
Dolphin2 and CanadianMike like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
I sent AC a DM on Twitter about the lack of choice for meals flying in J from MSP-YYZ. Wasn't expecting anything. Got a 15% off code which I then used for a YYZ-BGI trip. 5 minute note/DM = $700 savings. Time is money.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
I've always used twitter, hasn't failed me so far.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I tried FB Messenger yesterday and they got back to me in minutes.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:42 am

I just tried to DM them on Twitter and it says that they are not accepting DMs.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:20 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by ukengineer
Interesting. I hit them up yesterday requesting an other airline PNR for a reward trip and they got back to me in minutes.

Maybe there's some weather chaos that they are dealing with today?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC 50k, Marriott Titanium
My best success (out of many) was on December 23rd last year YOW-YYZ during the huge snow storm we had. Almost everything was being cancelled. When I woke up, I saw my flight had been cancelled and the hold times were over 2 hours long. Went on twitter and they were able to get me the last seat on one of the 2 flights that left that day within about 10 minutes.

I was really appreciative since the alternative would've had me sitting in a train for 18 hours (my backup plan was the train that got stuck somewhere between Kingston and Toronto).
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ukengineer
Sent a DM on twitter 5 days ago.
Message was sent but no response.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:24 pm

Upon seeing this thread again, I shot a Twitter DM to AC for a seat request as AC web wasn't loading for me, 2 days past and nothing.
Reading my DM history with AC, my previous message was also gone completely unresponded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.