Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Changing FF program after Amex booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat

I just booked Air Canada through Amex travel, using the 35% points redemption I get for having Amex Platinum business here in the US. It's a "points" booking of sort but earns elite miles and redeemable miles just like a revenue ticket. Anyone on here used this option on Air Canada?

I booked online while talking to an Amex travel agent, to see if they knew of a way to change the FF program while booking. She had no clue and the only option I saw was to add my Aeroplan number at that point which I did. After booking looked at maybe editing it in Amex site, no option for that.

So went onto Air Canada, brought up the booking no problem, assigned seats. I don't see a way to change the FF program, though. I'm assuming I have the same options as I would have if I'd booked direct with Air Canada. But I don't see a way. Is there a way to change this to my United FF program?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
AC’s website does not feature this functionality. Just change it to UA during online check-in, at the check-in counter at the airport or at the latest at the gate before you board. Make sure that you get a boarding pass indicating your UA FFP, don‘t rely on the agent just telling you that they changed it. Once it‘s credited to one FFP it can be very cumbersome to get it deleted and credited elsewhere.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
AC’s website does not feature this functionality. Just change it to UA during online check-in, at the check-in counter at the airport or at the latest at the gate before you board. Make sure that you get a boarding pass indicating your UA FFP, don‘t rely on the agent just telling you that they changed it. Once it‘s credited to one FFP it can be very cumbersome to get it deleted and credited elsewhere.
Ok thanks. My reasoning is that because booked through Amex Travel there is certain changes I’d have to make through them. Don’t want to get to the airport and find out not possible and I’ve got 24 hrs to cancel the booking. I’d do my booking differently if I can’t confirm the change.

Guess I’ll need to call.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I just booked Air Canada through Amex travel, using the 35% points redemption I get for having Amex Platinum business here in the US. It's a "points" booking of sort but earns elite miles and redeemable miles just like a revenue ticket. Anyone on here used this option on Air Canada?

I booked online while talking to an Amex travel agent, to see if they knew of a way to change the FF program while booking. She had no clue and the only option I saw was to add my Aeroplan number at that point which I did. After booking looked at maybe editing it in Amex site, no option for that.

So went onto Air Canada, brought up the booking no problem, assigned seats. I don't see a way to change the FF program, though. I'm assuming I have the same options as I would have if I'd booked direct with Air Canada. But I don't see a way. Is there a way to change this to my United FF program?
This is not a points booking, it is a cash ticket whereby they convert your Membership Rewards into cash, and you get a 35% rebate on what you spent. It is effectively a cash ticket with a cash value. You can change your FFP straight through managing your booking on Air Canada with your PNR, usually, but since you already had one added, you will have to have to change it at check-in or through an agent.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keitherson
This is not a points booking, it is a cash ticket whereby they convert your Membership Rewards into cash, and you get a 35% rebate on what you spent. It is effectively a cash ticket with a cash value. You can change your FFP straight through managing your booking on Air Canada with your PNR, usually, but since you already had one added, you will have to have to change it at check-in or through an agent.
Thank you but I'm fully aware of what kind of booking it is, that's why "points" in quotes. I was able to change it with an agent(long holds!) but he claims that I should have been able to do online. Anyway this is working out good and I wanted to know before 24 hrs was up as if I couldn't have changed it would have cancelled and rebooked with United for my ticket. While I'd love more aeroplan miles I'm working towards reupping my platinum with United or at least getting to gold for Star Alliance Gold. This is the first time in Air Canada metal for me.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
AC’s website does not feature this functionality.
wait what, I delete my Aeroplan number off bookings all the time, mostly after the eupgrades clear, and change it to accrue elsewhere.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
wait what, I delete my Aeroplan number off bookings all the time, mostly after the eupgrades clear, and change it to accrue elsewhere.
Please enlighten me how to do that. When I view the booking on aircanada.com it shows my status and AP number but I don't see a button to change it, I can only change seats.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Feb 24, 2023 at 3:35 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Please enlighten me how to do that. When I view the booking on aircanada.com it shows my status and AP number but I don't see a button to change it, I can only change seats.

This is pretty crazy - I literally changed my Aeroplan number out on this booking online last week. Its an Aeroplan booking, so it came attached with my Aeroplan number, but I wanted to get my *G benefits obviously. And I've done it numerous times in the past year after eupgrades cleared.

There used to a blue Add/Modify button under the number in manage booking and on the app.

Quite the downgrade, why would the remove this??

Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Its an Aeroplan booking, so it came attached with my Aeroplan number
You can chose any FQTV when you make an Aeroplan booking...

If I'm booking something that doesn't include AC, but does include UA, I usually just use my UA number.

Quite the downgrade, why would the remove this??
Probably to match UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.