Search

Two Baggage Tags on... One Bag?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:35 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Two Baggage Tags on... One Bag?

I was flying back to CMH from EZE via GRU, YYZ, and ORD recently and my bags were double tagged. I've never seen this with AC or any carrier for that matter. Tags had the same number, but different airports as you can see. Did I exceed the max number of airports for one tag? Flying out on the same ticket CMH-ORD-YUL-BOG-SCL the UA agent was able to print one tag per bag. Upon arriving at ORD the UA app claimed the bags were being sent to baggage claim and after consulting with an agent at the UA Club I was told they were not in the bay for CMH and would almost certainly not make it. She seemed quite surprised with the double tag and had not seen something like this before. Thankfully, the bags did end up at CMH, but the double tag still confuses me. Is this common practice?

Numbers the same--barcodes blocked out
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Yep, the max number of stops on a tag is 3. I did YTZ-YUL-YYT-LHR-AMS and the machine popped out 2 tags confusing the agent at YTZ. I also did BOM-MUC-ZRH-YUL-YYZ-ORD and the agent laughed upon seeing it.
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:02 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C-FMWQ
Yep, the max number of stops on a tag is 3. I did YTZ-YUL-YYT-LHR-AMS and the machine popped out 2 tags confusing the agent at YTZ. I also did BOM-MUC-ZRH-YUL-YYZ-ORD and the agent laughed upon seeing it.
Ah good to know--thanks. I doubt it is a common issue, but I wonder why they don't have longer tags...
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Same reason your ticket number changes for the 5th segment. Supporting systems built in the 60s.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:03 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Same reason your ticket number changes for the 5th segment. Supporting systems built in the 60s.
Very interesting--thanks! Also, a huge thank you for developing cowtool. It made booking this mess via ANA a whole lot easier.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by C-FMWQ
I did IAD-VIE-CAI-BAH-BKK (BKK was my stopover before contintuing on to my destination of MEL) and it caused much confusion for the Lufthansa group check in agent ("oh you'll need to pick it up in BAH... wherever that is... sorry it won't let me do it farther.. oh wait, it's still printing something"). I did 23.5 hours in Cairo and when I checked into my Gulf Air flight and told the counter agent they should already have my bag checked through, she first asked me "are you sure?" and "I don't see anything", followed shortly by her opening up a whatsapp conversation that in fact had a photo of my bag 😊
C-FMWQ likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
As neat as it is to see baggage tagS for such itineraries, I would have an anxiety attack until I see my bag arrive at my final destination. So many opportunities for the bag to get lost or delayed!
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
As neat as it is to see baggage tagS for such itineraries, I would have an anxiety attack until I see my bag arrive at my final destination. So many opportunities for the bag to get lost or delayed!
AirTags
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Every flight is an opportunity for that to happen...
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by doc4science
I was flying back to CMH from EZE via GRU, YYZ, and ORD recently and my bags were double tagged. I've never seen this with AC or any carrier for that matter. Tags had the same number, but different airports as you can see. Did I exceed the max number of airports for one tag?
i've done MEL-SIN-KUL-IST-ODS and SQ did use 2 tags for the same bag. same number but with different airports on each. however, at KUL, the airport replaces with a single TK tag with the last 2 segments without my knowledge.

probably a limit of 3 segment per tag
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Every flight is an opportunity for that to happen...
Yeah, but every connection multiplies the chance. And enough connections that you need an extra tag... I would also be a bit worried.

But that's why I generally don't check bags
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I would not say it is a system limitation, system can be changed and improved, it is per IATA ticketing rule, a ticket can hold up to 4 coupons, and a book can hold up to 4 tickets, therefore in ancient Aeroplan Era, you can only book up to 16 legs per redemption. At the time, when IATA switched from paper ticket to E-Ticket, all airlines followed the same ticketing system and flow per IATA used since 60s. If you ever get trained at any airlines ticketing dept, these are the basics​​​​​​​
m.y likes this.

Last edited by terencelai; Jan 2, 2023 at 6:14 pm
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:46 pm

Yes, but what happens when airline X updates their system to support more, you make a booking with more segments, including some operated by airline Y that don't support that many?

There's a reason it hasn't changed. It would need to be coordinated between many airline systems.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Many years ago I had to get from YQF to LIS, but went through YQF-YYC- YVR-YYZ-FRA-LIS (did not want to fly Rouge), so I had the concierge pull my bag when I arrived in YYZ and took off the first tag as to not confused the ground crew! Just played it safe by short checking the bag and having the friendly and helpful concierge help me out.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
It is called a conjunctive tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.