Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Membership Rewards Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
AMEX Membership Rewards Transfer

I am contemplating a booking through Aeroplan but I have a concern transferring the AMEX points only to find the flights are no longer available. A couple of questions. Can I call in advance of the transfer and put on hold the flights? Any recent experience of Membership Rewards to Aeroplan transfers with a U.S. Amex card?

TIA
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I believe Amex is an insta-transfer to Aeroplan 90% of the time for both US and Canadian cards. The other 10% is because there's an issue with the transfer, systems, or name mismatch, but if you successfully transferred in the past, it should be pretty instant.
1262512 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bankerflyer
I am contemplating a booking through Aeroplan but I have a concern transferring the AMEX points only to find the flights are no longer available. A couple of questions. Can I call in advance of the transfer and put on hold the flights? Any recent experience of Membership Rewards to Aeroplan transfers with a U.S. Amex card?

TIA
In the past, people have the reported the ability to have an Aeroplan phone agent put an award itinerary on a brief hold, as long as you are able and willing to transfer your Amex points while you are still on the call. You would obviously have to have everything set up on your computer for the transfer before you called Aeroplan, so that all you would have to do is press one button when the Aeroplan agent holds the flights.

No idea if this is still an option.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I would transfer the points first then use it to book the flight. Like fysloc said most time the transfer is instant.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
In the past, people have the reported the ability to have an Aeroplan phone agent put an award itinerary on a brief hold, as long as you are able and willing to transfer your Amex points while you are still on the call. You would obviously have to have everything set up on your computer for the transfer before you called Aeroplan, so that all you would have to do is press one button when the Aeroplan agent holds the flights.

but with that I’ll need to pay booking fee for my reward flight, right? Coz I’m booking it thru an agent?
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dorakk
but with that I’ll need to pay booking fee for my reward flight, right? Coz I’m booking it thru an agent?
Correct. That's the price you pay to ensure against phantom availability, transfer problems, or someone snatching the award seat in the normally-short time it takes for the transfer to go through. Only you can decide whether that's worth it to you.
Adam Smith and dorakk like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976

I did this unintentionally recently. I transfered my points from Amex while I was on hold and the agent did up the multi-segment booking and it somehow ended up being more points than I priced out online so I was short like 350 points... I transfered over another 1000 and completed it without issue.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by bankerflyer

TIA
I’ve transferred between a US Amex and Aeroplan before and it’s near instant. This was when they had a 20% transfer bonus to Aeroplan so I transferred it all lol
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:04 pm

I just transferred Amex MR points to Aeroplan last week and the transfer was nearly instant. Within a few minutes I could see the points on my Aeroplan account.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
I had this instance where Aeroplan sometimes occasionally holds Amex pts transfer. Eg. you see it immediately in your Aeroplan account but you can't use them until they are "approved.' Seems to be a new thing implemented recently

Last edited by MillennialMiles; Jan 2, 2023 at 6:52 pm Reason: cant not can
Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
I had this instance where Aeroplan sometimes occasionally holds Amex pts transfer. Eg. you see it immediately in your Aeroplan account but you can use them until they are "approved.' Seems to be a new thing implemented recently
I just made another MR to Aeroplan points transfer and what you've described just happened to me. Do you know how long the points are on hold for?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by SaintsFanInVan
I just made another MR to Aeroplan points transfer and what you've described just happened to me. Do you know how long the points are on hold for?
It seems to be "manually reviewed by someone at Aeroplan so a few business days.
SaintsFanInVan likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:46 am

I had this instance where Aeroplan sometimes occasionally holds Amex pts transfer. Eg. you see it immediately in your Aeroplan account but you can't use them until they are "approved.' Seems to be a new thing implemented recently
Ugh, I'm dealing with this right now. Have transferred MR over in the past and been instantly credited and able to spend right away.

Transferred over a bunch for some J tickets last night and while the "Recent activity" list shows the move, the total balance flickers between the new total balance and the pre-transfer balance. Going to the booking page always flips the balance to the pre-transfer total.

Frustrated, I tried moving a test amount from Cap One, those are also stuck. Thinking it was a first name mismatch (full legal name vs shortened nickname) I tried my wife's account which is 100% 1:1 with a test amount from Amex and hers is also still suck.

If they're going to do this for every transfer going forward the appeal of using Aeroplan is significantly lower as the risk of losing the award space is super high if you're looking at a 24-48hr+ approval window.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by burnedpixel
Ugh, I'm dealing with this right now. Have transferred MR over in the past and been instantly credited and able to spend right away.

Transferred over a bunch for some J tickets last night and while the "Recent activity" list shows the move, the total balance flickers between the new total balance and the pre-transfer balance. Going to the booking page always flips the balance to the pre-transfer total.

Frustrated, I tried moving a test amount from Cap One, those are also stuck. Thinking it was a first name mismatch (full legal name vs shortened nickname) I tried my wife's account which is 100% 1:1 with a test amount from Amex and hers is also still suck.

If they're going to do this for every transfer going forward the appeal of using Aeroplan is significantly lower as the risk of losing the award space is super high if you're looking at a 24-48hr+ approval window.
I've noticed this has been the case since the new T&Cs were updated in December. They might be doing this temporarily to stamp out any transfers done from different Amex MR to Aeroplan accounts to stop points brokers. My theory is they are a bit more proactive or just auditing a sample of transfers. Regardless, everyone should be cautioned before they make a transfer that it will not be instant and to not rely on it prior to making a booking.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:49 am

I've noticed this has been the case since the new T&Cs were updated in December. They might be doing this temporarily to stamp out any transfers done from different Amex MR to Aeroplan accounts to stop points brokers. My theory is they are a bit more proactive or just auditing a sample of transfers. Regardless, everyone should be cautioned before they make a transfer that it will not be instant and to not rely on it prior to making a booking.
For what it's worth, the points now were available and spendable as of this morning, so a little over 24hrs from transfer time. I might try a test amount again later tonight just to see if it takes another 24h for those, or if some automated process broke over the holiday weekend and the staff just now fixed it this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.