Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deadheading FA asks to trade my Aisle for her Middle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Titanium

I was on AC127 YYZ-YVR (A330) last night, and got upgraded from Y to PY just before boarding. I got my new paper boarding pass from the GA, boarded, and was seated in 15G (aisle).

As boarding continued, a deadheading FA in uniform walked past my seat as she was seated in Y. Minutes later she reappeared next to me in the aisle, and I asked her if she was seated next to me (the empty middle seat). Apparently she had been upgraded to PY, and was in the middle seat next to me, but she then asked if I would trade my aisle seat for her middle seat.

I've been asked to give up my aisle seat numerous times over the past 30 years, but it's usually a FOTSG situation. Anyone experienced this before?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Davevad
I was on AC127 YYZ-YVR (A330) last night, and got upgraded from Y to PY just before boarding. I got my new paper boarding pass from the GA, boarded, and was seated in 15G (aisle).

As boarding continued, a deadheading FA in uniform walked past my seat as she was seated in Y. Minutes later she reappeared next to me in the aisle, and I asked her if she was seated next to me (the empty middle seat). Apparently she had been upgraded to PY, and was in the middle seat next to me, but she then asked if I would trade my aisle seat for her middle seat.

I've been asked to give up my aisle seat numerous times over the past 30 years, but it's usually a FOTSG situation. Anyone experienced this before?
Wow! That is what some would call a chutzpah!
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: TK *G
What I have learned, is that, some people only care about themselves and give zero consideration about others. Being an FA is not exempt from this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
A middle seat in the Premium Economy cabin is neither premium nor economy.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I just had a nearly-identical conversation with someone earlier this week, in which a deadheading staff member asked a paying customer to swap their aisle for the staffer's middle, and got pretty huffy when the passenger politely declined.

In that case the staff member was male, so there are at least two different people trying this approach.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: Back of the bus
I would write in. That's beyond ridiculous.

That FA should consider themselves lucky they weren't given the jumpseat
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:05 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
A brand ambassador this crew member is not. Talk about Super Entitled.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On some airlines (and I don't pretend to know AC's rules on this), an employee flying on benefits asking a passenger to switch seats would be enough to get them in trouble, maybe even lose their flight benefits.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by jazzsax

I agree. Given all the staff shortage and what not, it seems like lots of position are filled by people who are not qualified. I don’t expect these people to learn or improve themselves, but if enough people write in, hopefully AC can do something to put these people in line.

Imagine how these FAs would handle seat swap requests by passengers.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
On some airlines (and I don't pretend to know AC's rules on this), an employee flying on benefits asking a passenger to switch seats would be enough to get them in trouble, maybe even lose their flight benefits.
I'd definitely write in, but this was not a "flight benefit".
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
A brand ambassador this crew member is not. Talk about Super Entitled.
Actually, and unfortunately, I think this crew member represents the brand quite well…
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Titanium
Glad to hear my impressions weren't off base in this situation. It's always a little unsettling when someone asks me to give up my aisle for their middle, but I was unprepared for an employee making the same request.

I believe the employee was new, as during meal service, they weren't able to extract the tray table from the arm rest and required my assistance. She even made a comment along the lines of "...I should be the one providing assistance and not you...".

During the flight I considered writing in, but I had a change of heart this morning. Your comments are making me reconsider.

Originally Posted by jazzsax

Originally Posted by songsc
I agree. Given all the staff shortage and what not, it seems like lots of position are filled by people who are not qualified. I don’t expect these people to learn or improve themselves, but if enough people write in, hopefully AC can do something to put these people in line.

Imagine how these FAs would handle seat swap requests by passengers.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd definitely write in, but this was not a "flight benefit".
dr_torch likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 19, 2022 at 5:17 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Indeed one time we've lost on the "aisle and window and hope the middle seat is free" gambit the middle seat was an offduty FA. And when we asked to swap for the aisle or window she refused and I got the distinct impression she was afraid she could get in trouble if she swapped even if it was the passenger that was asking. That was not on AC so I wouldn't assume the rules are identical but it seems quite off.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
FWIW, I've had a DH FA proactively offer to swap so a friend and I can sit together (this was a 320 or something, so there were no middle seats).

It's also possible the rules are quite different for DH ("be reasonable") and using a pass ("do not under any circumstances ask anyone to swap"), but this is one area where I'm more familiar with OAL policies.
wrp96 and Davevad like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Indeed one time we've lost on the "aisle and window and hope the middle seat is free" gambit the middle seat was an offduty FA. And when we asked to swap for the aisle or window she refused and I got the distinct impression she was afraid she could get in trouble if she swapped even if it was the passenger that was asking. That was not on AC so I wouldn't assume the rules are identical but it seems quite off.
I'm doing the exact same thing on an upcoming flight (I have the aisle & window booked, hoping for an empty middle) ... because I am well aware that if the middle does end up being taken, and I do want to swap, I will be offering that person an upgrade & not a downgrade. I would never even consider asking someone to give up a better seat for my worse seat ...

... and I'm just a regular flying joe. You'd think that any staff with any brains or integrity would be even more sensitive about the perception.

SMH
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.