Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Let 29.6k and $28.80 in flights go unused or pay $600 to cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Let 29.6k and $28.80 in flights go unused or pay $600 to cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:57 am
PRS
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold
Let 29.6k and $28.80 in flights go unused or pay $600 to cancel?

In a situation where it seems better to let some upcoming Aeroplan flights go unused since the cancellation fee would be more than the value of the points and taxes/fees recovered. If you can think of a better option please reply or DM!
In March, we booked four one-way Aeroplan flights for July from DCA to YYZ for 29,600k pts plus $28.80 in taxes/fees. Due to a Canadian passport renewal delay, one family member could not fly on the scheduled date so we ended up all driving to Canada instead. We were permitted one free change on the booking but had to make the change immediately for a date within a year from the original booking date. So we switched the 4 flights to Mon Dec 19 just in case we could use them then. Unfortunately we can't travel on that date and there are no major upcoming storms in the forecast that might allow us to cancel for free. So it seems like our options are to pay $600 (4 x $150) to cancel the flights and recover the points and fees, pay $645 to change the flights to another date before March (too expensive and don't have a viable date to fly) or just let the flights go unused (unless there is a last-minute flight disruption). Any other ideas?

Last edited by PRS; Dec 19, 2022 at 12:11 pm Reason: Added cost to change
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:06 am

If it were me, I’d just let it lapse rather than pay $600 to cancel. As you mention, cancellation fee more than the value of the points.

im unsure of any other way
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I would also give up the points, since if you value points at 2cpp, it's basically equal. Cash is always more valuable since you can use it for things outside of aeroplan if all things equal.

Aeroplan points are also very easy to earn, and you can probably get 30k points for under $600 through other promotions/welcome offers.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: AC 75K
It's unfortunate you used your free change. You could have changed the booking to Latitude, and then cancelled for no fee.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think you could change for $100 each but that only works if you have something concrete planned, otherwise wait for a weather advisory - you never know!
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Split the difference and cancel two tickets but let two lapse? Assuming that these are on different PNRs
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:34 am
PRS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It's unfortunate you used your free change. You could have changed the booking to Latitude, and then cancelled for no fee.
Agreed! This would have been the best option by far but I only learned of it from this forum well after our July adventures
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I think you could change for $100 each but that only works if you have something concrete planned, otherwise wait for a weather advisory - you never know!
OP could pay to change to a Latitude ticket for $100 (so $400), that makes the value proposition 1.2cpp.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: TK *G
If you cancel the ticket, how would you use those points? Can you get greater value than $600 from those points? 29K points can worth more than $600, but it really depends on if you plan to use those points that way or not.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by songsc
If you cancel the ticket, how would you use those points? Can you get greater value than $600 from those points? 29K points can worth more than $600, but it really depends on if you plan to use those points that way or not.
you can often buy 30k of points for < $600

I'd just let it go
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If you let it go make sure to check in. Keep an eye out on the flight. If there is any delay whatsoever (and there will be, it's AC), call to cancel and refund.
expert7700, najama2 and Seat14K like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:09 pm
PRS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If you let it go make sure to check in. Keep an eye out on the flight. If there is any delay whatsoever (and there will be, it's AC), call to cancel and refund.
There is a reason rankourabu is a FlyerTalk Evangelist! I checked in online as suggested and then got two flight delay notifications about 6 hours before scheduled departure adding up to a 90 minute delay (incoming flights for the aircraft were delayed even more than that). I called Aeroplan, waited on hold for about 30 minutes to speak to an agent. She had me cancel check-in on my end so she could provide a full refund of points and taxes with no problem whatsoever. A very satisfying outcome!
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Wow, that's some pretty good luck, glad it worked out for you.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ride red
Wow, that's some pretty good luck, glad it worked out for you.
Not really luck. The odds are heavy in one's favour AC will be delayed. More than half of their flights are. Even more so on small planes.

Glad it worked out for OP.
bual and YYC traveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.