Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: If you catch Covid, can you get a refund? [Answer: no]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: If you catch Covid, can you get a refund? [Answer: no]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

If you catch Covid, can you get a refund? [Answer: no]

Hey already booked the flights for 3 weeks from now, going from US -> Canada on Air Canada.

I booked a basic economy fare because ... well I usually like to save money. Used a Chase Sapphire Preferred but wish I used Amex Platinum as it seems to have better "built in" insurance.

Anyway I already caught Covid last April, am triple vaxxed... but now I'm suddenly thinking ... what if I get bad luck and catch Covid again before my flight?

Typically the Economy Basic is non refundable. I would obviously not fly if I became ill or infected. But I see that "sudden medical issue" leaves the door open for potential refund, if medically provable.

Should I rest easy knowing that it's refundable if bad luck happens? Or would I potentially be out of my money?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Of course not, everyone knows only the airlines can break the contract with impunity not us common folk.

Get travel insurance or a refundable fare.
hoipolloi, Ghoulish and dr_torch like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by peterparker20

I booked a basic economy fare . what if I get bad luck and catch Covid again before my flight?

Should I rest easy knowing that it's refundable if bad luck happens? Or would I potentially be out of my money?
You bought a fare that not only disallows refunds but IIRC disallows changes.

If you are hospitalized, perhaps the AC medical desk would take that documentation to give a travel CREDIT. Refund is laughable though.

AC offered paid trip interruption travel insurance.at booking... Probably on the page after you declined to select flex, comfort, etc.

Unpopular opinion, but you could also prevent losing the airfare with N95/CAN99 masks to avoid air indoors that has come out of others lungs.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 21, 2022 at 4:04 pm
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Yeah ... I usually book airlines with flexible fares (credits are fine) -- but must have slipped my mind.

I usually don't get travel insurance because .... well ... of 100 flights maybe I've only had to cancel 1. And that was the 1st time I got Covid. Sucker's bet it seems like.

I should have used my AMEX .. but ... I don't know. Yes of course I'll be cautious beforehand I suppose. But eh.

Chase Sapphire Preferred which I booked under technically says "covers trips that were cancelled due to illness" -- so ... it seems at face that should cover it. In practice, I've heard the Chase insurance is a bear to deal with, though.
boss315 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 21, 2022 at 4:36 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines want you to fly with covid....

Why wouldn't you oblige. :-(

Haven't you heard? Covid does not exist anymore.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by peterparker20
... what if I get bad luck and catch Covid again before my flight?

Don't test would be a good place to start. I've had covid symptoms every day for 40+ years.
In BC it's no longer a requirement to isolate if you have covid.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Yeah, don't ever book basic again. Seriously, not trying to be smart here, but it's never ever worth taking basic to save $50-60 at best.

Unfortunately you're entirely at the mercy of whatever insurance is associated with Chase. No changes/refunds/credits permitted through AC.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by yyztozag
Yeah, don't ever book basic again. Seriously, not trying to be smart here, but it's never ever worth taking basic to save $50-60 at best.

Unfortunately you're entirely at the mercy of whatever insurance is associated with Chase. No changes/refunds/credits permitted through AC.
agreed-the extra fees for peace of mind are worth it.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:35 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Louman
agreed-the extra fees for peace of mind are worth it.
With this being your first post, welcome to FT
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With this being your first post, welcome to FT
Thanks so much! Happy to see all the resources and info here for my next trip.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Introduction of the Comfort fare has made this a much easier decision for Y travel. Unfortunately for PY/J it's still quite a large delta between restricted and flexible.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvr76
Introduction of the Comfort fare has made this a much easier decision for Y travel.

Minor correction: I don't think wen introduced Comfort was refundable. That changed at some point, probably during covid.

(BTW, I would have liked a slightly different thread title: "If you want a refund, can you catch covid?")
vancouver25k and expert7700 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by yvr76
Introduction of the Comfort fare has made this a much easier decision for Y travel. Unfortunately for PY/J it's still quite a large delta between restricted and flexible.
This is true, but right now PY lowest and J lowest can still be cancelled to a credit to use later. Yeah, credit is not cash but better than nothing.

Now - how long AC will keep this policy is unknown.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dr_torch
This is true, but right now PY lowest and J lowest can still be cancelled to a credit to use later. Yeah, credit is not cash but better than nothing.

Now - how long AC will keep this policy is unknown.
Don't you usually have to pay the change fee when you use up the credit?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think there is still a covid policy for Standard and higher that waives the fee for changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.